Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • Challenge from DH - is this doable??? >
  • Challenge from DH - is this doable???

• Challenge from DH - is this doable???

Old 05-07-2010, 04:53 AM
    Power Poster

You can do it! Music and coffee, or Mountain dew, LOL< something with alot of caffine!
    Old 05-07-2010, 04:56 AM
    Banned

O.k. You and I both have a challenge. You have your area to clean out and organize for your prize! You can do it.
    I have my office and den area to clean out and organize with no real prize other than getting it done.

I'm here to motivate YOU! In doing so I am going to have the motivation to get mine done also.

One step at a time, one area at a time and 20 - 30 minutes at a time.

WE CAN GET THIS DONE.

If I lived closer to you I'd come help! I love to clean and organize --- but have had trouble doing it lately. I'd rather quilt.

O.k. ----- Ready ------ set ------- coffee, chocolate, music ------ GOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
    Old 05-07-2010, 05:32 AM
    Pam

All of this advice is great, but when you fill a tote, get it out of the way, move it to where it is going to live, THEN you will start seeing clear spots, I am sure they are going to be very exciting! Reward yourself everytime you fill a box and get it moved, a mental pat on the back, make it a game! Cheer yourself on, if you need more cheerleaders, ask, we'll yell, too!
    Old 05-07-2010, 06:19 AM
    Administrator

i'm confused. are you expected to do this all by yourself?

:shock: :hunf:
    Old 05-07-2010, 06:34 AM

Yes it's doable.....I have been trying to get my husband to set aside a day to clean "his" room. He has so much stuff piled around his computer table plus he ties flies in there. I told him I would help but he needs to go through and sort and toss....It might get done this year....sigh....Then there's his work shop...groan
    I agree with what the others have said. I tackle one small area at a time. When you start feeling overwhelmed, take a break and think about how nice it will be to have it done and have your tredle machine!!!You go girl!!!

Ditter
    Old 05-07-2010, 06:53 AM

Sometimes when I have a task like that to do. I do break it in small goals. I allow myself to read or sew or be on the board for 1-2 hours max and then I must get up for at least 15 minutes and do something that needs done in the house. It is amazing how much you can do in 15 minutes. Sometime I just get into it and finish the whole task. also if you are sitting for 1 hour or more, you need to get up and move around anyway. Or if I am watching TV, I get up at each commercial and just put one thing away. It works for me.

Once you get it done, you will be like a new woman. It will unclutter you mind too. You will be so much more productive.
    Old 05-07-2010, 08:13 AM
    Banned

You can do it!
    I just finished cleaning up my office area, divided things into: Toss/shred/file/record and then toss.
    (The rest of the room is all my DH's which he said he was going to get done LAST weekend. LOL

Now on to shredding then... lunch break.
    Old 05-07-2010, 08:25 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltingGrannie
    You can do it!
    I just finished cleaning up my office area, divided things into: Toss/shred/file/record and then toss.
    (The rest of the room is all my DH's which he said he was going to get done LAST weekend. LOL

Now on to shredding then... lunch break.
    You go girl!!! :D :thumbup:
    Old 05-07-2010, 09:20 AM
    Power Poster

make yourself responsible to come and report in here everyday, and to list what has been done. Maybe having to answer to us, will help get you moving. LOL also like the idea of music with an upbeat, it always helps me. And try breaking it down into corners. just one at a time. and before you know it , it will be done. Just dont do what I do, move things to another room , only to have to move them later LOL
    Old 05-07-2010, 09:21 AM
    Power Poster

At times like these I am reminded of the question: How do you eat an elephant? Answer: One bite at a time.

It didn't get messy in a day and it won't get clean in a day.

One of the methods that Helen Butigig from the program "neat" uses is to presort and put like with like. Then go through the batches and sort into one of 3 bins: 1. Do you love it and/or use it? 2. Has it outlived its usefulness or do you have too many? 3. Plain old junk.

Bin 1 you get to keep. Bin 2 gets donated. Bin 3 gets tossed into the trash or recycle bin.

By presorting into like categories, it is much easier to see that you may have 15 of the same thing and really only NEED a fraction of that count.

Wishing you lots of stamina (sounds like you have the motivation).

Now, if hubby doesn't want to help, he could keep you company.