Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • Change in how they treat croup >
  • Change in how they treat croup

• Change in how they treat croup

Old 10-26-2010, 01:02 PM

Just remember, Asthma and croup are not the same thing. The cold air can trigger an asthma attack for some folks. Asthma is caused by airway constriction. I think that it triggers attacks for some folks because cold constricts or shrinks.[/quote]
    ---------------------------------------------
    Yes. She'll have to try one thing and then another, still has her inhalers that lives in her purse and in the house, just in case.
    Still, the coffee thing still works a little for her even now. Being a teacher has her exposed to many germs and viruses that most folks can avoid, unfortunately. She's willing to try almost anything, even my old hill remedies.
    Old 10-26-2010, 03:56 PM

Originally Posted by Ramona Byrd
    One of my daughters was born with Asthma, and when her temp got up well over 100 and she was gasping for breath, I put her in a cool bath till it went down. Then, in the early 1960s, the Air Force doctors did tell us to use the warm, moist air. I remember sitting over a pot of steaming water with a sheet over my head with the baby gasping for breath under it with me.

Coffee was our first line of defense, no milk, just a little sugar. It seemed to help, as did chamomile and comfrey tea my Grandma suggested. Daughter's now 51, still has Asthma, I'll suggest she try the freezer bit when she has an attack.
    As someone with Asthma, exposure to cold can really aggravate an attack. Asthmatics should follow the regimine that they and their doctor has determined works for them.
    Old 10-26-2010, 04:04 PM

My son turned 30 this year and had very bad croup and asthma as a baby. When he started whezzing I always took him outside. I think his Dr.told me to do that back then already. Hope your little guy gets well soon.