Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • Changed mind about a sit down machine >
  • Changed mind about a sit down machine

• Changed mind about a sit down machine

Old 11-09-2017, 09:13 PM

Join the HQ Facebook page and ask your questions there.

I do not like to make the quilt sandwich, so my preference is for a machine on a frame. I was going to wait another 2 years to buy, but 18 months ago got a great deal on a HQ16 on a frame. No regrets.

I am lucky to have space in my home and no plans to move in the near future.
    Old 11-11-2017, 11:59 PM

Thanks for all your answers, I have been looking and researching for about 18 months, the HQ dealer is about 400 miles away, but he has arranged for me to go and see and try a stand up for a couple of hours with a lovely lady who’s about 30 mins away. (which is better than a quick try at a show) I am going on Friday, will let you know what I decide. My dad passes earlier in the year and left me some money so I want to make the best of it.
    Old 11-12-2017, 09:26 PM

I contemplated the same thing for about a year. I was comfortable FMQ on a DSM and did enjoy quilting on the bernina Q20. Space was a consideration for me so I was also looking at the brother dreamquilter and frame but tried out a avante and felt it was smoother. I also decided to get the 10ft frame and set it up smaller until I can move it into a larger room in my house. I do have back and shoulder issues so I use a stool and quilt sitting down using the microhandles. I don't regret my decision and the transition has not been as huge a learning curve as I thought it would be. I do recommend taking your time. I went with my brand because I love my dealer and it is the brand he sells so I did not try others because dealer support is important to me. I have had my machine a couple months and haven't had any issues. It stitches smoothly. I think either way I would have still enjoyed a sit down but the basting was hard for me so thats why I chose the long arm over the sit down
    Old 11-13-2017, 02:28 AM

I have both and much prefer the stand up long arm. I have trouble maneuvering the quilt with the sit down.
    Old 11-13-2017, 06:01 AM

I waivered back and forth between the two. I really wanted a stand up machine so that I didn't have to sandwhich and baste the quilt. However, the price difference was too much. Then, in Paducah I had the chance to try the BlockRockit which met my needs (standup midarm with a ten foot frame) and my budget for around $5000. I have had it two years and am still very happy. If you call the owner, Lynn Barlow, tell him Kaye Hlavaty sent you! He interacts very well with his owners. I called several times in the first few months with issues that were resolved with just a phone call.

Feel free to PM me for more information.
    Old 11-14-2017, 03:42 AM

Thanks everyone, Kaye I live in Scotland and we are much more limited in the UK in the brands available �� BlockRokit not avail here at all.
    Old 11-22-2017, 03:16 PM

I bought a Baby Lock Tiara II a couple of years ago. And while I’ve enjoyed using it, I do find myself wishing I’d just gotten a Longarm to begin with. I’m leaning real close to pulling the trigger on the Handi Quilter Amara. I wish I’d looked at this model while at the Houston Quilt Show.