Charlotte, NC

Old 09-11-2010, 07:33 PM

I've visited Charlotte a few times, for academics for my high school student (gifted programs, summer research @ the university, etc). It was nice, we didn't "get around" so to speak.

We live in Fuquay-Varina, which is no where NEAR close to Charlotte (in relation to the whole state) but I will tell you that there are TONS of people that live here (NC) that are from NY, NH, Jersey...pretty much all up in there. They find that it *is* cheaper to live here.

Me, personally? I find things here to be over priced. I lived in California(for 5 years) before moving here 4 years ago, and in South Dakota before that. Gas is/was the same price here as in Bakersfield, Cali (within a few cents). Groceries are much more expensive here. Like, in CA I could get oranges most of the winter for 3/$1 or 4/$1. Here, $.69/ea except maybe for a few weeks. And these are FL oranges, which are pretty close to NC. Milk = expensive. Granted this is all relative...since you're coming from NY it will probably seem cheap, but depending on the pay you're bringing in, it matters.

Taxes....I don't know what it's like "up north" but I'm really amazed at all the nickel and dime stuff. We pay car insurance (for us, more expensive here than CA). Registration (a couple bucks more), Emissions and safety (yearly), vehicle tax (Yearly on the value), property tax (we live outside city limits, still more expensive), health insurance (state employee both places: covered in CA, $500/mo family insurance),

And, I'm not able to speak of CA now vs. NC now, but we're kinda DIY'ers and frequented both Lowe's and Home Depot a lot. When we moved here, we continued to do projects for awhile, until the nickel and dime caught up to us. Everything at both hardware stores was a wee bit more. But when you're buying lumber for a project, 30 cents a board adds up, kwim?

So, not to be a Debbie Downer, but YES it will probably be cheaper than NY. No doubt. BUT...there's not really a savings in day-to-day purchases like people think. If you say, sold a home and bought a home in NC...YES, you're going to be ok. Better than ok. Your mortage will be WAY reasonable. You will have more acreage (we went from 1200 sq ft to 2500 sq feet, .17 acres to .75 acres and our mortgage is WAY lower)

*steps off the rant box*
Old 09-11-2010, 07:41 PM

I'll tell you what I told my kids. When you want to move to an
area that you are not forced to, visit it more than once. Try to visit any neighborhoods where you've looked at houses, but at different times of the day, ands very late at night on Fridays and Saturdays, and be sure to go during the day on week ends. All the kids will be home then and you'll see how many there are in the neighborhood.
Before buying, get a police radio and listen to and write down addresses the cops are sent too often. It will quickly show you which part of town is filled with ugly people, simply by the amount of police calls. Even in my own town, one of the prettiest neighborhoods has far more than their share of police calls. I do have a police band radio and it has surprised me often.
Old 09-12-2010, 06:36 AM

I was born in Buffalo too! Go for it!
Old 09-12-2010, 11:21 AM

I appreciate all the responses. I do have to correct one misperception. Many places in upstate NY consistently rank in the top ten for most affordable housing in the country, so I don't think we will be all that pleasantly surprised by housing costs. In checking, they appear to be a little higher in Charlotte, but not too terribly much.

I'll let you know what I decide. Thanks again!
Old 09-12-2010, 01:14 PM

^^^LOL, K then...you need to focus on the nice weather and the delicious peaches. :D