Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • Chemo port access shirt-diy? >
  • Chemo port access shirt-diy?

• Chemo port access shirt-diy?

Old 01-08-2019, 07:11 AM

I have a port and had chemo many times. Just had my port flushed yesterday. I just wear a shirt with a lower neckline and there's not a problem accessing it. Like others said too wear something with buttons and all it takes is a couple buttons undone to get to the port.
    Being told you need chemo is scary and the unknown makes it seem more complicated than it actually is. I have never seen anyone at any infusion room I've been to have or need special clothing.
    I do recommend blankets/quilts as handy to take. Some friends made me a quilt which I used every time. It kept my body and soul oh so comfy.
    Old 01-08-2019, 07:28 AM
    Power Poster

I have not had chemo, and never thought of how or where it would enter the body. I guess I expected it would be through the arm. The picture made me gasp. I am so sorry that any of you have had to undergo that, and yet so happy that it apparently has been successful for you. Best of luck to your friend.
    Old 01-08-2019, 07:39 AM

Originally Posted by cindyb
    Just thinking, if you use a shirt with raglan sleeves, maybe you could just use a seam ripper to take stitches to the length you want. Then, put in the zipper.
    Yes, this was my idea too from that picture. I would definitely try to make one, if that is what your friend would like, anything to try to help her face this treatment with as much "caring" from you.
    Old 01-08-2019, 07:40 AM

Having a port installed was not bad/difficult for me. Using the port made it easier for me to receive chemo. Would have an interesting book to read, get comfortable and settle into for relaxing time. The six months I had chemo went quickly.
    Old 01-08-2019, 08:27 AM

How nice of you to try to help your friend with shirts for her chemo. We had a friend who went through chemo last year & he didn't have a problem with the port & his shirts. After his port was removed I came across little pillows that are called Chemo Port Pillows that you can make & wear while driving to keep the seat belt from pressing in on the port area. I wish I had known about these earlier so I could have made him some. If you do a web search on "chemo port pillow tutorials" you will find several different types that can be made.

http://www.abbieandeveline.com/2014/...acath-pillows/
    Old 01-08-2019, 09:52 AM

My dad spent his last year on dialysis. I made a port access on his sweat shirt. I cut it from just off center on the neckline diagonally to just under the arm hole. Then I added a placket like on a long sleeve at the cuff and stitched velcro on it. The nurses thought it was wonderful and it made getting to his port very easy and he was warmer during dialysis. I did the same to a couple tee shirts for warmer weather. This may work for your friend.
    Old 01-08-2019, 12:09 PM

Default chemo top

[QUOTE=rjwilder;8188871]I'm a two time survivor and I've never had any problems with the port and chemo. I wore button front shirts, V-necks, and scoop neck or boat top neck. No need for a zipper top, in fact I wouldn't advise it. After several rounds of chemo things change, skin gets dry and itchy. I would not want the zippers on my skin. Chemo is tiring, if she has a t-shirt on she can go home and crash without changing her top.[/QUOTE

This is s true I tried to wear tops that had buttons or scoop neck and I crashed before I got home, did not want anything up against my skin to irritate it anymore than I already was
    Old 01-08-2019, 12:24 PM

Much easier to get a few button up shirts. I had chemo 12 yrs ago and have to have an antibody infusion every three weeks, I think the zippers would be uncomfortable plus my port is down lower and more to the side.
    Old 01-08-2019, 01:08 PM

Thank you for all of your replies...and I am so thankful that so many of you are on the other side of this journey.

My friend has asked me to do this for her...and she may find that after her first treatment, she doesn’t even like the zippers....but I am willing to go to the ends of the earth for her, and this will be a quick project. I will practice on an old t shirt first-she has a long sleeved comfy shirt that she wants to wear for treatments. Thank you for the other suggestions...I will pass them along if she finds this does not work for her.
    Old 01-08-2019, 06:03 PM

I have on a half zip from light fleece top. It would allow plenty of access to a port and be cozy, too. My surgery was today, but I am pretty sure I'm not going to need chemo. Clear margins, no lymph node involvement here.