childrens' duffel bags

Old 10-21-2018, 08:40 AM

Originally Posted by cathyvv
Rosie, this is so sweet of you! Can I send you some fabric for this project? I have more than I will use in 10 life times, and I want to make sure it is used in a good cause.
Thank you, that is very sweet of you. I think we have plenty for now as we have been quilting for close to 30 years, but I will keep your generous offer in my folder, thanks again
Old 10-21-2018, 08:43 AM

What a splendid idea, I have many patterns for that, thanks for the suggestion!
Old 10-21-2018, 09:49 AM

Here's a hint to how to make duffles. My older Land's end duffles are simple. The ends are circles and the body is one long rectangular piece that joins with a zipper at the top. The two straps that serve as handles are one big continuous loop that is stitched down both sides of the body. The open end loops form the handles.
Old 10-21-2018, 10:09 AM

Add a place to write the child's name on the bag. Makes it easier to keep track of down the line.
Old 10-21-2018, 02:30 PM

https://www.heirloomcreations.net/fr...p-bag-pattern/

I have used this for bags-you can make them as large or small as you want with a bit of tweeking. My kids used them for camping, laundry whatever.
Old 10-21-2018, 02:33 PM

Originally Posted by raspberryparade09
My quilt guild does an on going project where we make bags to give to Child Protective Services to give to the children in foster care. We use a patten called Mondo Bag by Quilt Smart. In the pattern the bag is made with small squares sewing together to make four 8 1/2 x 27" pieces. What we do is just cut the fabric 8 1/2" by 27", and start from there. It makes a great bag, with a large bottom, so that when you open it, it's easy to see what you have.
Love this idea. I have that pattern. Maybe I can share this idea with my guild.
Here is another cute duffle (scroll down a bit for the free pattern & tutorial):
https://sew4home.com/projects/storag...dritz-hardware

and this one is sturdy...just use a kid's fabric:
https://sew4home.com/projects/storag...-modern-duffle
Old 10-21-2018, 02:36 PM

Originally Posted by toverly
Here's a hint to how to make duffles. My older Land's end duffles are simple. The ends are circles and the body is one long rectangular piece that joins with a zipper at the top. The two straps that serve as handles are one big continuous loop that is stitched down both sides of the body. The open end loops form the handles.
You brought back memories for me with this. This technique is super fast, easy, and can be made any size.
Old 10-21-2018, 10:57 PM

Originally Posted by rosiewell
Can anyone recommend a link to free patterns for childrens duffel bags or bags? My friend is a foster parent for long and short term babies, the children come to her house with their belonging in groceries or garbage bags, she is trying to gather duffel bags to give to the short term children when they leave.
I have a group of quilters willing to sew bags as needed, but I need easy patterns that everyone can follow. Thanks
This is a great idea.. I might suggest that when one is given to a child, PUT THE NAME of the child ON THE BAG. WHY? A friend of mine, a social worker, often moves the children when needed. The foster parents RARELY let the kids take the really NICE things people make or give them.. SO branding it specifically for the child is best.
I'd look for a pattern that has a suitcase look, zipper top and shoulder straps for maybe carrying like a backpack.

and yes, they do move all their meager belongings - often in trash bags, which tells them what the world thinks. Our poor little foster kids deserve better, as they already don't have a family who cares.
Old 10-22-2018, 06:41 AM

I don't think I would put the child's name on anything anymore! There are just too many risks involved! I would put, instead, a symbol or two to help identify the bag with the owner. You and the child would know the identity of the owner, but other people would not know to whom the object belonged.
Old 10-22-2018, 09:07 AM

These are all great ideas, thank you for sharing, these kids do deserve something so much better than a garbage bag to carry there meager belongings, thank you for helping them