Christmas news letters

Old 12-12-2010, 08:04 AM
Banned

Dear Friend,
It is that time of year again to share with you our adventures in this journey we call life. 2000 has been another year of magic and wonder…

Lori almost 3, is quite a talker. She continues to amaze the professors at the University with her intuition in foreign languages. It was fun for her to serve as Official Translator for Warren Christopher at the Bosnian-Serbian Peace Talks. She intends to spend this Holiday transcribing War and Peace into Arabic and Cantonese.

Chris, now 5, is growing in leaps and bounds. When he got his first set of building blocks he seemed quite interested in large buildings. This year he designed his first skyscraper and ground was broken in Hong Kong for the new “Little Man” Towers. It is great to have a budding architect at home as he made a new addition to the house and a wonderful gazebo for our garden. Martha Stewart will be filming her next show here in April.

Betsy had a very busy year. In between her work as President of the American Cancer Society and Senior Partner of Goldman Sachs, she introduced a line of children’s novels and hand made active-wear. She remains occupied with the children and has introduced them to Yoga and power walking this year. We are particularly proud of Mom as a starting forward representing the United States in the World Cup.

Dave was immersed with his Graduate School studies, and managed to co-author a paper on Multidimensional Customer Attribute Analysis by Conjoint Survey and accept a Nobel Prize for his discoveries in Quantum Physics. Along the way Dave took three startups through their IPO. We are proud of his work serving on the Board of Directors of IBM, Coca-Cola, and Walt Disney. Dad was also active with the kids teaching Lauren Ballet and helping to lower Chris’ handicap to 5. We were able to squeeze a little traveling in this year. We started in Aspen, went to Belarus, the Congo, Denmark, Ethiopia, the Falklands, Greenland, Holland, Italy, Japan, Korea, Malaysia, New Zealand, Venezuela, and Zaire. Our trip sailing our new boat around the world was a great experience for the kids, we learned to communicate with Dolphins and discovered a new region of deep water volcanoes.

And Sergeant, our German shepherd, learned to speak. Latin. Other than that, it was a very quiet year. So from our household to yours, all the Blessings of the Season and may your New Year be prosperous. We found out yesterday that we won the $150 Million Powerball Lottery.

The Wannabes,
Betsy, Dave, Chris & Lori
Old 12-12-2010, 08:09 AM

Originally Posted by MrsM
I add a personal note if I have time. But some of them read like "My life is so perfect", it is more like a slap in the face then a newsy letter from a friend. So I guess I am in the don't like them groupp :roll: :? :oops:
Ohh...I agree. maybe I should preface that by saying I dont like them by certain people.
We have an acquaintence our own age who lived a rather extravagant lifestyle courtesy of the inlaws. Everything was "we went here" ,"we bought this", "the kids private school...", etc., etc... They built a new house every 3-5 years. I'm not exaggerating.

Not surprisingly, the folks went bankrupt and she no longer does the Christmas letter.
Old 12-12-2010, 08:17 AM

This was laugh-out-loud-crying funny!!! I have mixed feelings about the pretentious ones. I can usually read between the lines and kind of feel sad for people who feel the need to portray themselves this way... As for myself, I never write them. If anyone wants to know how I'm doing they'll ask me :)

Originally Posted by morelcabin
Dear Friend,
It is that time of year again to share with you our adventures in this journey we call life. 2000 has been another year of magic and wonder…

Lori almost 3, is quite a talker. She continues to amaze the professors at the University with her intuition in foreign languages. It was fun for her to serve as Official Translator for Warren Christopher at the Bosnian-Serbian Peace Talks. She intends to spend this Holiday transcribing War and Peace into Arabic and Cantonese.

Chris, now 5, is growing in leaps and bounds. When he got his first set of building blocks he seemed quite interested in large buildings. This year he designed his first skyscraper and ground was broken in Hong Kong for the new “Little Man” Towers. It is great to have a budding architect at home as he made a new addition to the house and a wonderful gazebo for our garden. Martha Stewart will be filming her next show here in April.

Betsy had a very busy year. In between her work as President of the American Cancer Society and Senior Partner of Goldman Sachs, she introduced a line of children’s novels and hand made active-wear. She remains occupied with the children and has introduced them to Yoga and power walking this year. We are particularly proud of Mom as a starting forward representing the United States in the World Cup.

Dave was immersed with his Graduate School studies, and managed to co-author a paper on Multidimensional Customer Attribute Analysis by Conjoint Survey and accept a Nobel Prize for his discoveries in Quantum Physics. Along the way Dave took three startups through their IPO. We are proud of his work serving on the Board of Directors of IBM, Coca-Cola, and Walt Disney. Dad was also active with the kids teaching Lauren Ballet and helping to lower Chris’ handicap to 5. We were able to squeeze a little traveling in this year. We started in Aspen, went to Belarus, the Congo, Denmark, Ethiopia, the Falklands, Greenland, Holland, Italy, Japan, Korea, Malaysia, New Zealand, Venezuela, and Zaire. Our trip sailing our new boat around the world was a great experience for the kids, we learned to communicate with Dolphins and discovered a new region of deep water volcanoes.

And Sergeant, our German shepherd, learned to speak. Latin. Other than that, it was a very quiet year. So from our household to yours, all the Blessings of the Season and may your New Year be prosperous. We found out yesterday that we won the $150 Million Powerball Lottery.

The Wannabes,
Betsy, Dave, Chris & Lori
8-)
Old 12-12-2010, 08:37 AM

No one in our family does them any more.
Old 12-12-2010, 08:43 AM

I love getting them and hearing about what is going on. Most of all, I love to read when parents write about their children and their accomplishments, goals, etc. Proud parents are something to cherish and celebrate as well as their children.
Old 12-12-2010, 09:54 AM

I am really surprised at how many of the commenters do not like Christmas letters! I have written one every year since 1988 and I get terrific feedback on them. However, I am selective about who I send them to--only very close friends and family members. I also use my own letters as a reminder of significant events in our lives--major anniversaries, being laid off, getting new jobs, major car crashes, dogs put to rest, new dogs adopted, that kind of thing. I love it when my family and friends send me Christmas letters--I read every letter at least a couple of times. When I get an "empty" card with just a Merry Christmas in it and a signature, it makes me sad because I want to know more about how their year went--good or bad.
Old 12-12-2010, 09:58 AM

I like getting news and pix of family and friends -- some have gotten a little boring at times
Old 12-12-2010, 10:03 AM

I feel like the ones we get are from the rich & famous, lol. Use to get two, but one couple has stopped now, wish the other couple would too! I get tired of hearing about the cruises they take, & their grands & kids, none of which I have ever met, or seen in person, & never will. Now, if they kept it short, I would enjoy it, but get bored with way too much information, lol....
Old 12-12-2010, 10:06 AM

Originally Posted by newbee
I am really surprised at how many of the commenters do not like Christmas letters! I have written one every year since 1988 and I get terrific feedback on them. However, I am selective about who I send them to--only very close friends and family members. I also use my own letters as a reminder of significant events in our lives--major anniversaries, being laid off, getting new jobs, major car crashes, dogs put to rest, new dogs adopted, that kind of thing. I love it when my family and friends send me Christmas letters--I read every letter at least a couple of times. When I get an "empty" card with just a Merry Christmas in it and a signature, it makes me sad because I want to know more about how their year went--good or bad.

Yours sound interesting, but I think being selective is the key word when it comes to these. I mean, send them to people close to you & yours, so they have some idea of who you are even talking about, not the rest of us who are clueless!
Old 12-12-2010, 11:15 AM

I am with you.......we have one person that sends these out and its like a pat on the back for where they went this year....WHO wants to here all of that.................sorry but not ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!