Christmas news letters

Old 12-13-2010, 11:02 AM

I appreciate being updated, as long as it's realistic. One friend's letter makes us wanna jump off a cliff after reading about her amazingly perfect everything.
What's even worse is when they e-mail their Christmas greeting -- now that's absolutely tacky. You can mail out at least ten cards for less postage than the cost of one espresso or one fast food trip or one new quilting magazine from the store or ....
Old 12-13-2010, 11:07 AM

I used to not like them, but then someone told me that their family had always done one. Years later when the kids were grown, the letter were all bound into a book and I thought that was a nice idea. Gives them a little year by year journal of things that might be forgotten.
Old 12-13-2010, 11:24 AM

Location: Ohio, the land of 4 seasons. sometimes all in the same week!

I get one from a wealthy cuz every year detailing all the places they have traveled too and all the royalty they dined with. the experiences they have done and the things they have shared with the 3 boys they have. I do admit to being a tad jealous and resentful . . . only because I DID 2 years ago send a letter back explaining my paycheck to paycheck lifestyle. I explained it seemed more like a brag sheet. Boys schooling, degrees etc. Hey, my girls all made the honor role but I never felt the need to broadcast it in a yearly letter to the folks I hadn't bothered talking to the rest of the year. (key phrase there) I'm still getting the letters without a SINGLE WORD like hey cher, how are you and the girls making out? so I doubt those folks see past their own pass ports. now I just focus on making laughter with what we have and letting the kids know I will do whatever I can with whatever I have. AND YES, THIS YEARS' LETTER WAS VIA E-MAIL!!!
Old 12-13-2010, 11:26 AM

Location: Ohio, the land of 4 seasons. sometimes all in the same week!

NOW THAT SOUNDS LIKE A FUN TRADITION!
Old 12-13-2010, 01:32 PM

AND YES, THIS YEARS' LETTER WAS VIA E-MAIL!!!
Sorry -- didn't mean to offend; I'd better keep my 2 cents' worth to myself.
I only meant that when people send a 'our fabulous, rich life' letter, it seems tacky to e-mail it, in MY humble opinion. There are many others who are struggling either financially or physically whereby doing cards traditionally is a hardship; that's different and it's nice to have another way of dispersing greetings. But again, that's only MY humble opinion.
Old 12-13-2010, 01:38 PM

I have never gotten a letter from my family or anyone lol! I usually send out Christmas cards though. I don't get very many from others though. I do love Christmas cards. :)
Old 12-13-2010, 01:52 PM
Banned

If family related yes...We have neighbors across the street who send us one every year. Well, we talk with these people all the time. But, the letter is a constant...."We went to Hawaii, we went to Rome, we are leaving for the Anartic soon". I know all this and don't have to read about it too....
Old 12-13-2010, 01:53 PM

Originally Posted by postal packin' mama
AND YES, THIS YEARS' LETTER WAS VIA E-MAIL!!!
Sorry -- didn't mean to offend; I'd better keep my 2 cents' worth to myself.
I only meant that when people send a 'our fabulous, rich life' letter, it seems tacky to e-mail it, in MY humble opinion. There are many others who are struggling either financially or physically whereby doing cards traditionally is a hardship; that's different and it's nice to have another way of dispersing greetings. But again, that's only MY humble opinion.
I'm e-mailing a few to save on postage and the "toil" of addressing an envelope and signing the card. :roll: Only a couple. I like to make my own cards, but this year I just have too many irons in the fire to even think about it. No letters either.
Old 12-13-2010, 02:55 PM

Originally Posted by sueisallaboutquilts
I've always had the urge to send one with every bad thing that happened all year but I'm too chicken !! lol
I just think it would be a hoot.
I like them if I really like the people involved. Some are just long-winded and boring! :)
I guess it just depends who sends it.
I've always had this urge also! Just once I would like to tell them all how it really gets around here.....Donna
Old 12-13-2010, 03:01 PM

Originally Posted by donnalynett
Originally Posted by sueisallaboutquilts
I've always had the urge to send one with every bad thing that happened all year but I'm too chicken !! lol
I just think it would be a hoot.
I like them if I really like the people involved. Some are just long-winded and boring! :)
I guess it just depends who sends it.
I've always had this urge also! Just once I would like to tell them all how it really gets around here.....Donna
How about including all your new tattoos you got in order to fit in with the wild biker gang you joined, and ... uh... oh heck, I'm so boring, can't even conjure up much else! tee hee, back to sewing for me