Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • Cleaning ceramic tile floors >
  • Cleaning ceramic tile floors

• Cleaning ceramic tile floors

Old 03-09-2014, 04:27 PM

Default Cleaning ceramic tile floors

I'm having issues cleaning my tile floors. Yesterday I have use vinegar, hot water, 1tablespoon dish soap & washing soda mix in a bucket. Use a sponge mop and by the time it was dry there was white spots, streaks and the floor still felt dirty, to the point that you could not slide around with just your socks. SOOOO today I re cleaned just a few areas just with hot water & vinegar, and it was worse. The streaks were gone but you still could not scoot around in your socks. What am I doing wrong or does anyone have a great solution to get a clean look and feel.
    Thank you
    Old 03-09-2014, 05:15 PM

I will be watching this thread for answers as i have a similar problem. Your floor cleaning solution sounds like the one i was going to try, but probably not now. I've been using pine Sol and the grout is still dirty. I can't get down and scrub it either
    Old 03-09-2014, 05:23 PM

Well, we live in Dallas area and we have Mexican Tile in our kitchen and partly in Den. I used a dark grout, but we sealed it with 20 year sealant and we just mop with murphys soap. Or a little dawn.
    Old 03-09-2014, 05:35 PM

We have ceramic porcelain tile thru out our house. I vacuum and then I mop with a small amount of dawn or pine sol mixed with water. Tiles are brown with dark brown grout. Our tile is not slick even when wet. Besides who wants to be like Tom Cruise and slide across the floor in white socks and briefs...lol.
    Old 03-09-2014, 06:39 PM
    Power Poster

My DDIL uses one of those steam mops to do all her ceramic tile floors.
    Old 03-09-2014, 07:05 PM
    Power Poster

Do you know exactly what your tiles are made of? Are these new floors or old floors? I ask because I think cleaning methods vary depending on the composition of your tiles.
    Old 03-09-2014, 08:03 PM

I use a steam mop twice a week (I have a lot of tile flooring). Seems to work ok for us. But occasionally the grout needs a little more attention which is a huge task.

Originally Posted by Sue Kitten
    I'm having issues cleaning my tile floors. Yesterday I have use vinegar, hot water, 1tablespoon dish soap & washing soda mix in a bucket. Use a sponge mop and by the time it was dry there was white spots, streaks and the floor still felt dirty, to the point that you could not slide around with just your socks. SOOOO today I re cleaned just a few areas just with hot water & vinegar, and it was worse. The streaks were gone but you still could not scoot around in your socks. What am I doing wrong or does anyone have a great solution to get a clean look and feel.
    Thank you
    Old 03-09-2014, 08:12 PM
    Power Poster

A steam cleaner seems to do a pretty good job of cleaning grout. There are some videos on Youtube that demonstrate this. (It won't necessarily get out stains, but it does a good job of getting out dirt!) Once grout is clean, I believe it's a good idea to seal the grout.
    Old 03-09-2014, 11:48 PM

In UK my mothers friend used to clean the church tiled floors on her knees with fairy soap a scrubbing brush and wipe clean. Those tiles always had a lovely shine. Not sure about the sock part as the church isle not the place to try.
    Old 03-10-2014, 02:06 AM

I use normally use Mr. Clean or Pinesol or any other commercial floor cleaning product. Dilute in a bucket of water and use a sponge mop. We have darker tile with a dark grout. Sealed the grout with a silicon based product. 10 coats (yes 10!) of that stuff with a kiddie paint brush but well worth it. It's been over 20 years and you can still see the seal on the grout an no dirt!