Clothesline memories!

Old 04-11-2011, 03:53 PM

It took several weeks to those of us in Sr. Housing to convince management that we needed a clothesline. The argument was that we'd save electricity (which we certainly do) and many of us really wanted one. WE WON. Amazing how many of us do use them as soon as weather permits. You're right, the linens smell wonderful. Love going to bed with bedding that has been on the line. Remember, those here really remember the clothesline. Marge L.
Old 04-11-2011, 03:58 PM

i REMEMBER ONE CLOTHES LINE
Old 04-11-2011, 04:01 PM

Lets begin again, I remember this one clotheline, that who ever built it, had the top piece on the inside only held there by the bolt. My clothes line has to many trees around it now to be of any use.
Old 04-11-2011, 04:02 PM

I still hang wash out, and I still hang it the same why I did 50yrs ago. Love the smell of fresh sheets off the line.
Wolflady
Old 04-11-2011, 04:14 PM

I remember handing my mom clothes from the basket and she hung them up. If I missed a sock or undershirt and found it later, she would take everything down to that point so that every like item would be together. We called the sticks with the "v" in them cothes props. I miss the smell of linens dried in the sun.
Old 04-11-2011, 04:16 PM

try Wal-Mart
Annette
Old 04-11-2011, 04:23 PM

We live in a 4 generation household. I do not know what we would do if we couldn't hang the clothes out to dry. I love the smell of line dried sheets. My mom still gets on me for hanging the clothes wrong on the line. My husband never hangs them right, his mom doesn't hang her clothes. My son is learning to hang clothes by my mom and my grandmother. He has to stand on a stool but he helps hang the clothes. Our homeowners association does not allow clothes lines...ours is hidden out of sight. I remember someone asking once "don't ya'll have a dryer." Yes we have a dryer for the towels. Everything else goes on the line. Oh the memories of sheets flapping in the wind in the summertime. Some things don't need to be changed. Sunshine gets out a lot of stains that just washing won't get out.
Old 04-11-2011, 04:25 PM

By golly yes! I remember the clothesline days! and we even had the washer that you had to hand run the clothes thru the wringer! Yep, those baskets were heavy too. In the winter we didn't hang outside as much. But in the basement was strung lines and in the attic too! Now let me tell you taking the laundry basket allllllll the way up three flights of stairs to the attic was no small task! Steep steps in the basement and up to the attic.. I think back then houses were built with such narrow steps from basements and attic and steep! As Archie and Edith sang....."those were the days....." "_
Old 04-11-2011, 04:29 PM

I do indeed remember.... there were 8 of us in our family. I had an excellent teacher (mom) who taught me well.

I still use the clothesline when I can on the 'good weather' weekends. ahhhhhh .... memories.
Old 04-11-2011, 04:31 PM

I remember how my Mom kept an eye out for the rain. When it came we would run out and take the clothes down as fast as possible. I also helped my Mom put the clothes through the wringer on the wringer washers. That was lots of fun. Thanks for good memories.