Clothesline memories!

Old 04-11-2011, 08:34 PM

Originally Posted by sewingsuz
Yes, I remember when my Mom would wash my little brother's blanket that he used to suck his thumb. You would see him out at the clothes line standing under it and sucking his thumb and the othe hand on the blankie. This was in the afternoon when he got tired and must not have been able to stand it anymore.
Are you sure we are not related!!!???? My poor little Brother( he is not little anymore, just turned 50!) would stand out there under the line and just barely getting a grip of his "Bankie" and cry to get someone to take it down!!! To this day, he still has a small square of it saved!! I wish I had a pic of this...Mom had tied it into so many Knots before it finally ended up so shredded/tattered..... sweet memories!!My gpa did help mom by taking down the laundry and folding it into the basket...oh, I sure miss those days!!! We did live quit simpler!!
Old 04-11-2011, 09:27 PM

This sure brought back memories for me also. I was taught to always hang the "heavy" items such as rugs and blankets at the ends of the clotheslines so they wouldn't "sag" the middle of the line. And many times for heavy blankets and bedspreads we used 2 lines with the curve on the bottom. Our cats would love to get up in the curve for an afternoon nap!
And when we brought the clothes in, another job was to sprinkle and roll up the starched clothes and put them in the icebox for ironing the next day. I have clotheslines up at my house and will sometimes look out and see neighbors' blankets, etc., hanging on them. It's a wonderful sight!
Old 04-12-2011, 01:00 AM

i still hang out clothes my mother in law taught me how 36 years ago. She hung out clothes until the week before she passed away with colon cancer
Old 04-12-2011, 04:35 AM

I agree with Jingle. I did the wash tub and hang out thing and did not think it was the good ole days. I love my washer and dryer. And I'll bet a lot of others do to that are saying they love their clothes lines.
Annette
Old 04-12-2011, 04:55 AM

LOL! Wow, do I remember this. My mom would make me take the wash off of the line if she wasn't pleased with it. I made sure I did it correctly but it stuck with me forever. I asked for a clothesline recently but our yard just doesn't have the set up for one. Hanging wash is relaxing and with it comes a feeling of a job well done. IMHO
Old 04-12-2011, 06:25 AM

Yes, I remember! We have a clothsline at our cottage and I still "follow these rules!" Nothing better than sheets fresh off the line!
Old 04-12-2011, 09:58 AM

You can tell my age by this! LOL I see myself in a lot of these.
Old 04-12-2011, 10:01 AM

I have ask my DH to put one up for me when we get moved to the country. No one will see as we have a very privet piece of land. I still have my Moms clothes pins nothing better than towels and shirts, sheets out in the sun. I still like the dryer for underwear and socks
Old 04-12-2011, 10:06 AM

I still use my clothesline(to a degree),but I witness all that you wrote about all year long in my community with many Amish folks.They are hard working people and good neighbors.Do they ever have beautiful greenhouses to visit,too!
Old 04-12-2011, 10:09 AM

I hang our clothing on the line. I can remember my mother teaching me all the rules also. I follow them too.