Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • colonoscopies - agree or disagree and opinions on the prep >
  • colonoscopies - agree or disagree and opinions on the prep

• colonoscopies - agree or disagree and opinions on the prep

Old 06-11-2011, 10:17 PM

It's true, this is one cancer that is fully treatable if caught early, if not caught early, the prognosis is dim at best.

The prep is worse than the test, the test is a breeze. Once every 10 years where you probably blow 12 hours total on prep and test, seems like a small price to pay for something that could possibly cost you your life otherwise.
    Old 06-11-2011, 11:02 PM

I finally agreed to having one...prep was a witch with a capital B and had the first appointment in am.....prep still working. Told the nurse, I'd better go. Made it and sat there almost levitating for 2 minutes.
    I'm 67 and have no cancer on either side of my family.
    June 9, 2011 is a day engraved in my nether region. I had a small polyp right behind the exit of my digestive tract. Doc also found an area he thought looked like the start of colitis....hope he's wrong on that but considering the alternative, hope he's right. Will find out this week.
    He gave me pictures....I'm beautiful on the inside which is amazing to me.
    I never agreed to have this done before because I considered it the ultimate indignity....still do but there are some things we must swallow our pride for and this is one.
    Get-r-done
    Old 06-11-2011, 11:06 PM

Well, will someone please describe the "prep" to me. I have been told the procedure is mild but the "prep" can be terrible. I have often wondered if they could just check me into the hospital, sedate me and wake me up when all of the humiliation is finished. This is what happened when I had my hystorectomy 3 years ago. When I came out of it I got to eat Tapioca pudding. I guess I'm saying that I don't know how to be brave even if it could save my life.
    Old 06-11-2011, 11:06 PM

Originally Posted by lalaland
    It's true, this is one cancer that is fully treatable if caught early, if not caught early, the prognosis is dim at best.

The prep is worse than the test, the test is a breeze. Once every 10 years where you probably blow 12 hours total on prep and test, seems like a small price to pay for something that could possibly cost you your life otherwise.
    Totally agree.
    Old 06-11-2011, 11:38 PM

Colon cancer is a big killer, and is one of the most common cancers in the world - more prevalent in developed nations. It is highly curable if caught at an early stage. The test has some risks, but I believe the trade-offs are well established. Family history is not the only risk factor.

Anyone with any changes in bowel habits should definitely consult a doctor as soon as possible and not be afraid of this test. Mine (routine after age 50) was done under light anesthesia and was completely painless. Nobody likes the prep, but it's only one unpleasant day that may give you many years of life.

I have never known anyone who had serious complications from this test, but I have known people who had colon cancer and would have died without it.

Before you decide against having a screening, try to make an informed decision. Here is a useful page from the Center for Disease Control: http://www.cdc.gov/Features/ColorectalAwareness/
    Old 06-11-2011, 11:47 PM

Originally Posted by TonnieLoree
    Well, will someone please describe the "prep" to me. I have been told the procedure is mild but the "prep" can be terrible. I have often wondered if they could just check me into the hospital, sedate me and wake me up when all of the humiliation is finished. This is what happened when I had my hystorectomy 3 years ago. When I came out of it I got to eat Tapioca pudding. I guess I'm saying that I don't know how to be brave even if it could save my life.
    The "Prep" for me was 4 Dulcolax pills at 2 pm. Then starting at 4 pm, MiraLAX (a powder) dissolved in 2 liters clear liquid of your choice....drink at least 8 oz. every 15 minutes...at 6 pm, 2 more Dulcolax. Be prepared to POOH.

How anyone could get dehydrated is beyond me.
    This is all done the day before.
    Old 06-12-2011, 12:03 AM

Mu husband died of colon cancer just 7 1/2 months after we married, absolutely no sign of any problems before we got married, 2 1/2 months later things started to happen, bad diahoerea (spel) etc.

The prep before hand is really a liquid that you drink which will clear you out, you will have to be near a toilet for the best part of the day, at least thats how it worked for my DH, it really isnīt anything to worry about. depends on how much you want to live, I would say its downright mad not to have it, those doctors are used to this every day they work their and its a job to them. GO, just GO PLEASE

Elle
    Old 06-12-2011, 12:51 AM

I had a CT scan and a polyp was found. I now have to have a colonoscopy to remove it. Not looking forward to it, as the prep for the scan was bad enough, but I think it is important to sort things out
    Old 06-12-2011, 01:55 AM

Originally Posted by Ellen
    The "Prep" for me was 4 Dulcolax pills at 2 pm. Then starting at 4 pm, MiraLAX (a powder) dissolved in 2 liters clear liquid of your choice....drink at least 8 oz. every 15 minutes...at 6 pm, 2 more Dulcolax. Be prepared to POOH.

How anyone could get dehydrated is beyond me.
    This is all done the day before.
    TonnieLoree, My "prep" was the same as Ellen's. In my opinion, the worst part of the prep was trying to drink all the fluid that I was supposed to. I sure tried but ended up getting sick, "throwing up") because of it, so, in the morning had to call the surgeon and ask the nurse to see if I was still good to go which I was.

When I have to do this again in 5 yrs, I will talk to them about what I can do differently, like maybe start earlier and spread the fluid out over a longer period or changing my diet for a few days before so that I don't have to drink as much. But, who knows what the test prep will be like the next time since they improve things. My husband had one 12 yrs ago. He said the whole process was terrible and was not looking forward to the one he had 2 years ago. But, the second time was nothing like the first because they now put you to sleep. Prep was just about the same though.

Go have one done. Lost a good friend to colon cancer. Will always miss him and will always wonder "what if" he had had a colonoscopy.
    Old 06-12-2011, 03:31 AM

I don't understand how you can get dehydrated - you have to drink a gallon of that stuff, and then water/broth/tea afterwards. If you keep fluids going in as fast as they come out, you'll be ok!! It's not fun by any means, but I agree that going through cancer would be worse.