Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • Considering making my own bras >
  • Considering making my own bras

• Considering making my own bras

Old 07-16-2015, 03:34 PM

Hi Roseville neighbor. I had breast cancer in 2001. Someone told me that my HMO would pay for my special bras at Nordstroms. So 4 bras and a foam pad later I was told that since I only had a lumpectame that they were not covered my HMO. Since I had been misinformed they did cover it one time. That was a year or more after my surgery. I am still using those same bras with an extender and shoulder pads. I am beginning to think about going back to Nordstroms. My weight has shifted. My healthy breast is fuller while my other has strunk and of course my waist is larger than 12-13 years ago but those 4 bras are still in pretty good shape. I wouldn't dare consider making a bra, my UFO pile is growing!

Last edited by nanOmint; 07-16-2015 at 03:37 PM.
    Old 07-16-2015, 06:29 PM

I went to a lingerie shop and found a bra that fit properly and was comfortable. I bought only one and wore it for several days, to see if it was truly comfortable. Then I did some online research and ordered several more of the same style/size, for much cheaper.
    Old 07-16-2015, 09:23 PM

I have made bikini bathing suits, but never a bra. Guess its cause I don't have anything to put in one I could use a 32AAA
    and still have room
    Old 07-17-2015, 02:37 AM

I'm really leaning towards taking the Craftsy class at this point. I'm sure I could figure it out from one I have but from what I'm reading and hearing, there is lots of good info on fabrics, etc. as well in the class. I have seen one pattern that seems pretty close to the style I'm looking for but not sure if I should try to use that pattern or the one demonstrated for the class. I'm thinking I'll do the design class as well. Or, have any of you that have taken the design class - is there enough construction and/or fabric choice info to skip the construction class???

I'm thinking that for $100 outlay (2 classes; 2 patterns) I walk away with a lifetime skill to ultimately save lots of $$.
    Old 07-17-2015, 04:59 AM

I have made my own bras in the past. Mostly for financial reasons. I think I got the patterns from Kwik Sew. If you have some worn ones that you love take them apart and make your own pattern. Best of luck to you!!
    Lynda
    Old 07-17-2015, 05:19 AM

I have a nice pattern for the, but you can no longer find the right fabric to do them.
    Old 07-17-2015, 09:42 AM

Originally Posted by Prism99
    I couldn't manage a project like that. What I have learned to do is, when I find a bra I like, is to stock up on it so I don't have to go looking for at least ten years!
    Love this!!!
    Old 07-17-2015, 10:12 AM

I buy mine on sale at Lane Bryant, when they have the buy one get one free deal. That way they only cost $25.00 each then. But they are so comfy, which is good cause I have to sleep with a bra on at night.
    Old 07-17-2015, 12:09 PM

My mum always told me to buy good underwear and good shoes. Cheap versions of both can make the most expensive clothing look terrible whilst good versions will make the cheapest outfit look good. In the UK it is recommended you get measured every six months and that you start off with first hooks on the back, after a while you move up the hooks as the fabric stretches, by the time you get to the tightest hook it's time for a new bra as the fabric has stretched/washed out.
    Old 07-17-2015, 01:54 PM

The last bra fitting I had done was just not right. The woman told me I wear a 40D. I couldn't even get it hooked around me. I went to a real lingerie store and the sales lady said I measure a 44DDD. It fits mostly, but the band is a bit snug, the next band size up is huge.
    I would love to make my own bras. It just pains me to pay $44 for 1 cotton no wire bra.
    Sharon