Cooper update! Good News!

Old 10-04-2011, 10:32 AM

Thank you for caring for Cooper and making sure he gets good treatment. He looks like such a big lover. I hope you have many happy years together.
Old 10-04-2011, 02:20 PM

Cooper is awesome!!
Old 10-04-2011, 02:27 PM

This is better than good news! He is so handsome.
Old 10-04-2011, 02:44 PM
Power Poster

Oh. Good dog!

My shepard, Anne, who we found in the pine barrons of NJ, almost starved to death had a very severe case of heart worms. My vet, GBH, Told us straight out that the prognosis was not very good. He used an aresnic compound over several months. The outcome was wonderful. We had Anne for about ten more years. Never a more loyal dog than her, I ever had.

Hope all goes well for this darling.
peace
Old 10-04-2011, 02:51 PM

Look at that mug shot....it's beautiful. Hopefully this will be a good ending and he will be very healthy!
Old 10-04-2011, 03:06 PM

LOVE a success story about our fur babies. One lucky dog! He's a cutie too!
Old 10-04-2011, 04:50 PM

Hi,
Glad Cooper is settling in so well and happier about people around his food bowl. If he still gulps his food down, there are food bowls that have divisions in them and others with raised surfaces (hard to explain -- like a series of plastic covered fingers coming up from under the food bowl) that will slow his eating. As you know, bloat can be deadly in large dogs, so it would help to slow down his eating -- maybe that will happen anyway as he builds up more confidence. Sounds like he really found his perfect home.
cheers
Sandra
Old 10-04-2011, 05:54 PM
Power Poster

Hopefully when he needs the med.s the Vet will be able to get them. I think I would get a second opinion, waiting doesn't sound like a good idea.
Good luck to you both.
Old 10-04-2011, 05:58 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by gspsplease
Hi,
Glad Cooper is settling in so well and happier about people around his food bowl. If he still gulps his food down, there are food bowls that have divisions in them and others with raised surfaces (hard to explain -- like a series of plastic covered fingers coming up from under the food bowl) that will slow his eating. As you know, bloat can be deadly in large dogs, so it would help to slow down his eating -- maybe that will happen anyway as he builds up more confidence. Sounds like he really found his perfect home.
cheers
Sandra
Maybe when he gets use to eating on a regular basis he will slow down eating. Might be a good idea to divide his daily portion into a few smaller portions to keep the bloat away, A twisted stomach could kill a large dog before you could get him to a Vet. Just trying to help.
Old 10-04-2011, 06:02 PM

Originally Posted by Jingle
Hopefully when he needs the med.s the Vet will be able to get them. I think I would get a second opinion, waiting doesn't sound like a good idea.
Good luck to you both.
We have the meds on hold at the vet. We are comfortable waiting 2 weeks as he probably has had the worms for at least 5 months already. He needs to put on some weight as he is too thin and his immune system is compromised right now. If we were to start treating him now with the compromised immune system, he may not be able to fight off any type of infection that is possible with the heart worm treatment and that could prove worse to him than the heart worms. We trust this vet. It isn't our usual vet, but our back up vet. He has treated our other animals when our usual vet was unavailable.