Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • Credit alert!!!!!   Card numbers hacked >
  • Credit alert!!!!! Card numbers hacked

• Credit alert!!!!! Card numbers hacked

Old 03-07-2013, 09:15 AM

Default Credit alert!!!!! Card numbers hacked

I hope I'm posting this in the right place. If not, I'm sure one of our moderators will put it where it should be.

I've just received a letter from Fabric Depot telling me that they were hacked in October, 2012. The third party gained access to all credit card and debit card numbers, information and security codes. If you've ordered anything from them, check your statements closely for at least the next year. I knew Connecting Threads was hit, but this is the first I've heard about Fabric Depot.
    I HATE a ---- thief!!
    Old 03-07-2013, 09:17 AM

boy things are sure getting scary out in this big world. thanks. i have ordered from
    connecting threads right before christmas.
    Old 03-07-2013, 09:21 AM

Another member posted about this yesterday. . . http://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1...t-t215685.html
    Old 03-07-2013, 09:35 AM
    Power Poster

I had two cards compromised in one month. I have every available block and ID theft available and the crooks still managed to get around them. But the cards were frozen as soon as the suspicious charges were noticed. The bank and cc company had the attitude of it happens all the time, don't worry about it. When I asked what will be done to find the crooks I was told it was reported to authorities. It's a very slim chance of anyone looking for them and slimmer still of them being held in jail if found.
    Old 03-07-2013, 09:39 AM
    Power Poster

Thank you for the info!
    Old 03-07-2013, 10:06 AM

Several years ago this happened to the card clearing house where our company account was as well as my personal account. Our bank was very much on top of the situation and notified all customers as well as issuing new cards to all. A friend who worked at the bank and was anticipating retirement stayed on to work through verifying that all accounts were correctly handled and no unauthorized charges allowed. It was a major headache for her but she did a fantastic job of going through all the paperwork to be sure everything was done correctly.
    Old 03-07-2013, 10:07 AM

" It's a very slim chance of anyone looking for them and slimmer still of them being held in jail if found. "

From what I've been hearing in the news media, much of this is coming from other countries, namely Russia and China. I guess there's really nothing that our authorieties' can do to them even when they know where it comes from.
    The banks do seem to have a very poor attitude about it, though. To give my bank credit, they did delete all the charges I was hit with on both cards. They didn't even seem surprised when I called them. I didn't even have to fill out a fraud report for the debit card! I'm afraid to order anything online again, even by calling the order in. If they're storing our information, it can certainly happen again and again!
    Old 03-07-2013, 10:37 AM

Many companies require you to enter the info every time rather than them storing the info. Others "farm out" the processing to a third party with the higher security encryption than their site.
    Old 03-07-2013, 11:03 AM

I'm going to buy a pre-paid credit card to use for future on-line purchases.
    Old 03-07-2013, 11:42 AM

My one card got hacked over the weekend. Someone tried to use a fake card at a gas pump for $1.00. It was denied & CC company called me. Had to close account & get a new account/card. I was told there are people out there now making fake cards! So watch your monthly invoice.

What would be best to use on line is get 1 card just for on line use. Use it for nothing else. You can also put a fraud alert on your account that purchases only get delivered to yuor address. That way if someone tries to send items to another address the purchase will be denied.