Daylight savings 2011

Old 09-26-2011, 10:07 AM

Originally Posted by amandasgramma
I don't care WHICH one they use -- just DON'T CHANGE IT!!!! It's so crazy and stupid in my book!!!

I was told it was because they could have more "daylight" time for businesses.......but that's a dumb reason as far as I'm concerned. Whether they have an hour more in the morning or an hour more at night...you STILL have the same # of daylight hours!!!! If a business wants more hours of daylight, let them change their opening/closing hours.!
OK!! You're a genius! That makes so much sense.
Old 09-26-2011, 10:30 AM

I hate it, too. When it was initiated, it was to allow folks who work in the day to have more daylight in the evenings. Seems as though in the past stores were only open until 5 p.m. Can you imagine? Wonder what the excuse for messing with Mother Nature and all our biological clocks is now -- other than something else the bureaucrats can do w/o a vote from congress?
Old 09-26-2011, 11:54 AM

the word conspiracy comes to mind!! just to confuse us more is all. yeah Suzy the guy should have been shot. I guess that was FDR(?) not sure on that one though.
Old 09-26-2011, 12:20 PM
Power Poster

long ago i heard it was for kids of farmers. then factory workers, etc. There is no one reason. someone somewhere thought this up long ago and it's still here. some things need to be stopped and this is one.
oh well, the whole world is spinning to this tune. so it's not just us.
Old 09-26-2011, 12:44 PM

Originally Posted by Naturalmama
Did I read this right - November 6th?? That seems so late.....

They seem to be making it longer every year. Don't mind it really but do wish they'd leave well enough along. I really can't see muh sense in it. It's all psychological. If they want to change things, Just go to work an hour earlier. That is what is happening anyway, but just because the clock says this or that is all it amounts to.
Old 09-26-2011, 12:46 PM

Originally Posted by Naturalmama
Did I read this right - November 6th?? That seems so late.....

They seem to be making it longer every year. Don't mind it really but do wish they'd leave well enough alone I really can't see much sense in it. It's all psychological. If they want to change things, just go to work an hour earlier. That is what is happening anyway, but just because the clock says this or that is all it amounts to.
Old 09-26-2011, 01:10 PM

DST was enacted by CONGRESS and should be cancelled! However, I did say "Congress" and don't we know how quickly (!) Congress moves on anything!
Old 09-26-2011, 01:20 PM

I would like to go back to "normal".....whatever that is!
Old 09-26-2011, 01:28 PM

Originally Posted by Suzi
The guy who invented DST should have been shot for his idea. I hate the change and feel it's just another of those totally unnecessary happenings .............
They went without it in Ireland one year as an ecperiment and several children were knocked down, some killed, by cars because they had to walk to school in the dark along country roads. Daylight saving is vital in places which are far from the equator, because the useful part of the day does not stay in the middle.

I can see that it does not make much sense to people who live closer to the equator though. personally, the only problem I have with it is not knowing when it is happening. I think lots of places try to put it on a holiday weekend, which may account for the regional variations.
Old 09-26-2011, 01:28 PM

My Michigan congressman Upton changed the timing of it a couple years ago. Sorry about that! I think it was Ben Franklin who originally came up with it here.

It used to be April & OCtober, now it is March & November. I like it, but I live on the western edge of our time zone, so the sun sets later here than in the northeast. So it is light here until 5, where in Chicago, being on the sunrise side of that zone, it gets dark at 4:00.