debit card fraud

Old 01-07-2011, 12:32 PM

I called my bank thismorning and found that the man who called me yesterday was legit. He saved me from a big scam. The bank said my card had been cancelled and they are sending me a new card.
Old 01-07-2011, 12:33 PM

Wow, so glad you followed up on this. I read all the posts from yesterday and you were very smart to call them this morning. Thank you so much for sharing this. Thankfully you were spared a whole lot of baloney from a bad person.
Old 01-07-2011, 12:41 PM

You can never be to safe.
Old 01-07-2011, 12:53 PM

That's good.
Old 01-07-2011, 01:06 PM

My bank - Wells Fargo - is very proactive like this. I really appreciate them watching out for me.
Old 01-07-2011, 01:34 PM

i had it happen with a card we hadn't used in a year
Old 01-07-2011, 01:53 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by amma
Banks don't typically call and discuss this type of business over the phone. I strongly suggest you call your bank ASAP and verify that this really happened.
Actually my bank generally verifies large credit card purchases over the phone. Last time when I bought additional airline tickets, they couldn't get a hold of me (as I was on the road) and they cancelled my card. The fraud-check agent will not ask for sensitive information and you will recognize that they are talking about your account.
Old 01-07-2011, 02:38 PM

One time I used my credit card in Jamacia in the morning before boarding the plane, Detroit when we landed to buy gas and then we drove to Indiana to see the kids at college, and I used it down there. They were on the phone the next day calling to see if I had made all those charges. Last week the bank called and asked if I made a large purchase in China. I'm on an account (in the US) with my son and dil who live in China and they had purchased a computer. I told the guy I would contact my son and get back with him if anything was wrong with the purchase. The banks don't ask personal questions, just check to see if you've been making the charges. I'm glad they do that. If they did ask personal questions I wouldn't give them the information. I would call to verify it.
Old 01-08-2011, 08:27 AM

Originally Posted by TN Donna
I called my bank thismorning and found that the man who called me yesterday was legit. He saved me from a big scam. The bank said my card had been cancelled and they are sending me a new card.
Good deal. I want to clarify --- I know banks do call and check out unusual or big purchases (has happened to me), but I still feel, in this day and age, that it's important to double check.

After the last time, in a really really nice hotel in Canada (okay - I used a coupon), my card was rejected. I had to call the card company and they were concerned because I'd bought gas in the US and then tried to use the card in Canada. Well, we talked about it and she suggested that from then on, when we were going to do a big purchase or travel like that to call AHEAD of time. We did, and never had that happen again. gosh, it was so embarrassing -- it was like we had over-used or stolen the card!!!!
Old 01-08-2011, 06:20 PM

State Farm Bank has a fraud dept and they will call too!! My local bank just "freezes" your account and then when you call in to inquire why you are unable to use your card (which by the way can put you in an awkward position at the check out) they will ask you about any suspicious charges they have identified....