Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • Dec 2011 Weight Loss Adventure With A Prize! (the winner is mim) >
  • Dec 2011 Weight Loss Adventure With A Prize! (the winner is mim)

• Dec 2011 Weight Loss Adventure With A Prize! (the winner is mim)

Old 12-04-2011, 05:19 AM

I am willing to go along with the majority. Another thought is if we all have a buddy who we share email addresses with. That way if someone is absent for awhile there will be another gal to check on her. Just to make sure she is ok & knows someone cares. It is easier for us all to encourage, support & back up everyone....one lady at a time. Of course this would be optional in case some just don't want to be bothered
    Old 12-04-2011, 07:38 AM

Good morning everyone! I'm sitting here listening to the falling rain contemplating what to make for breakfast/brunch. I know DH would love waffles but not sure I want to start the day with that many calories. Decisions, decisions......

I like the idea of sending the fat quarter at the first of the month to a PO Box. The up side is that everyone who signs up will actually send a fat quarter each month or they are not eligible to win themselves. I've always wondered how many FQ's the winner actually receives since by the end of the month there are very few people posting compared to the list of names of those who signed up.

A couple of down sides is that the person who wins will have sent a fat quarter also (not really a big deal since they get it back) and at the end of the month someone will have to pony up shipping costs for a large package of FQ to send them to the winner. Any thoughts on how to deal with the $$$ part of this? I see lots of comments about concerns about the cost of mailing just one fat quarter ($.64 currently) so asking everyone to send a few coins with their FQ to pay for end of month postage would probably become an issue for some.

My opinion regarding quarterly winners is that it probably wouldn't work. I agree that new sign ups always have the advantage because the first month or two of a diet are always higher numbers. An idea would be that a person is not eligible to win the FQ's until the second month of participation. Since a winner can't win two months in a row why not have the same type of requirement for the prize?

Whatever the majority decides is ok with me.

On the home front, I have a job interview on Tuesday! I graduated from my CNA course and will take my State test on Friday. Hopefully I'll have a job offer before I get my license. And the best part is the facility is only 3 miles from my house! I'm excited and ready to get back to work. I may be "old" but I still have a lot of offer those who need help.

Ya'll have a great day and a good upcoming week.
    Old 12-04-2011, 08:41 AM

I have sad news to report.

Oldcottontop, our August 2011 weight loss winner has died.
    You can read details in Patrice's post here:

http://www.quiltingboard.com/general...s-t170811.html

I'm sure our thoughts and prayers are with her family.
    MJ
    Old 12-04-2011, 10:02 AM

I am lost, I haven't been getting the emails telling me of new posts. I quickly read to catch up, and will go with recommended consensus on FQ etc. Have those who win the FQ's report back whether they have received from those who participated that month? This has only been my second month of participation.
    I hope health issues are resolved and we all have a successful month. I will try to figure out how to get the emails and again say I am in for the month.
    Old 12-04-2011, 12:13 PM

it's bright and sunny here in ny i'm heading out the door for a walk....anybody wanna come ?????
    Old 12-04-2011, 12:20 PM

I won for October, as of mail received on Saturday, Out of the 30 (minus myself and Missy who was for support only) giving 28 people who signed up. I have only received 10 FQ's, had 2 people contact me saying they are having money problems and will mail when they can. Of the 30 signed up we have only a core group who are regular poster on the group. I have be participating now for about 5 months. I have mailed all months.

SO I am for those who want to participate mailing their FQ at the begininning of the month to the PO Box. AS for the cost to send to the winner, I believe we could fit all FQ's in the small priorty mailing box unless we have 100 people sign up.

I know we can't force anyone to do something they really dont want to do. I like the idea of exchanging email addresses. That may be one way to get some more involvement.

Just some of my thoughts.

Originally Posted by Murphy1
    I am lost, I haven't been getting the emails telling me of new posts. I quickly read to catch up, and will go with recommended consensus on FQ etc. Have those who win the FQ's report back whether they have received from those who participated that month? This has only been my second month of participation.
    I hope health issues are resolved and we all have a successful month. I will try to figure out how to get the emails and again say I am in for the month.
    Old 12-04-2011, 01:27 PM

i am new to this list not to dieting as i stated earlier i had only lost 30 pounds in 3 years. This thread helped me to get serious and lose a lot in nov. I don't mind sending the fat quarter at the first of the month. I think people should post at least once a week if possible. I still have 100 pounds to lose and hope this thread will keep me on the right track. i fell of the wagon the last couple of days didn't gain but didn't lose so today is a new day and a new start.
    susan...
    Old 12-04-2011, 01:42 PM

Rita had an interesting thought about the extra postage and Cindy reminded us that even though you win you may not ever get much, lol. I am wondering if we should just forget the FQ and come here for support & fellowship.
    Old 12-04-2011, 05:11 PM

1) The cost of remailing the FQs makes me vote no on this one. 2) Stay monthly 3) ??? It doesn't take much time to check in at least every other day. I like daily for me. Gaining weight control is not a once a week item.

There was a blurb on the news last night about hypnosis and weight control. Once thing the one who had been hypnotized said was she had learned was to change her vocabulary. You don't lose weight, because what you lose, you want to find - use 'gaining control over your weight' instead. I think she used food plan instead of diet, too. I like the first change. Anytime we can put a positive spin on a phrase, it's to the good.

Excuse the typing and spelling. My reversals have been bad today. I was very careful counting and recording the offering at church this morning. We want to finish and go home, not spend the day looking for an error if we don't balalnce.

Dogs are walked, some more outdoor work is done in the rain so it's time to put another border on the wildlife quilt. The thing is growing exponentially! I want my camera ready when my son opens it. I usually make my children take their presents home to open because I don't want to see the disappointment on his/her face if it's a goof but I do like seeing them open their quilts. He will love this. It should brighten motel rooms all over the US.

MJ, still recording. What I found out yesterday is that I have a problem with portion size. I spent the first 32 years of my life trying to gain weight, so I learned to eat large amounts at a time. I need to unlearn it.

I am gaining control over my weight and getting healthier.
    Judy
    Old 12-04-2011, 06:02 PM

I am still recording food, too. I find I am eating out of control at night, right before I go to bed. I didn't realize that I consumed so many calories at night.

My night snack is considerable. I need to go back to spacing my food out during the day.

I like all the feedback. keep talking.