Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • Did you hear any screaming and crying from the NW >
  • Did you hear any screaming and crying from the NW

• Did you hear any screaming and crying from the NW

Old 09-28-2010, 05:09 PM

When mine were little the toys left out were put up and they had to pay to get them back.

As a teen-my son was so neat you would never know he was there. Not officially labeled O.C.D. but I think he was. Not now!!!! Kind of shocked me to see his apartment. But it is his house, not mine!
    Old 09-28-2010, 05:11 PM

Two DDs, as different as could be. The rules here were #1 -your stuff goes back in your own rooms, #2 - Mom only does the laundry that's in the hamper and #3 - no food or dirty dishes left in your room (they were both scared of bugs in their room). One DD's room was always liveable - and she's still that way at +40. For the other one I had to make a sign that said "Disaster Area- Enter at Your Own Risk" and post it on her door once in a while. HER DD is that way now and makes her nuts tee-hee!!
    Old 09-28-2010, 05:13 PM

Old 09-28-2010, 05:36 PM

My boys were the worst! After many rounds of fighting, they finally learned that I meant "Pick up your things & put stuff away." I had to take their allowance as if they were paying me. LOL

My 5 yr old twin DGD's are giving DD fits about picking up their toys. She got a black garbage bag & finally went in their room & began putting toys in the trash. He came one of the girls telling her "Here Mommy. We don't want this anymore either." LMBO The toys were put in the garbage bag and it has been 4 weeks. They have not missed one item that got tossed. It is really in their garage. LOL DD just knew they would later ask for their things. Nope! I really feel for her with those twins!
    Old 09-28-2010, 06:32 PM

I love the ideas of making them buy back stuff and will start making them pay for me to do chores they did not do![/quote]

If I had to do my kids chores, I put there allowance in "Mom's money for doing my lazy kids work jar." They hated to see more $ in Moms jar than theirs. My kids just simply hated to see me get paid instead of themselfs. It was a visual lesson on he who works gets paid, and he who is lazy does not get paid.
    Old 09-28-2010, 06:38 PM

Originally Posted by Jennifer22206
    I remember that my mother would tell me, Maid and Mother both may start with M, but I am your MOTHER not your MAID.

Then she proceeded to empty my entire room of stuff that wasn't in its place and she burned it. Then I had to pay for all new. Trust me, I cleaned after that. There were only 3 or 4 shirts/pants and a journal or two, but I learned my lesson
    See had my mother done, that I don't think I would talk to her again. My room is my room and my domain. Outside the room I can see, but be aware if your kids are as private as I am, you will get the consequences as well.
    Old 09-28-2010, 06:53 PM

Originally Posted by hikingquilter
    With teenagers (and I have had 7)just close the door to their room. It's their space. I had rules about no clothes in the bathroom and no food in the bedroom. Everybody did their own laundry by the time they were 12. And yes, if something is found where it shouldn't be, make it disappear! Believe me, they learn. Pick your battles and save your sanity.
    Yep, it's a hard thing for parents to learn as well, keep your living space the way you want it, allow them to have their room as their space. But make them responsible for their own laundry and clean up in their own rooms. And anything left in your space becomes yours to do with as you need.
    Old 09-28-2010, 06:53 PM

Originally Posted by 2 Doods
    When mine were little the toys left out were put up and they had to pay to get them back.

As a teen-my son was so neat you would never know he was there. Not officially labeled O.C.D. but I think he was. Not now!!!! Kind of shocked me to see his apartment. But it is his house, not mine!
    O.C.D doesn't always mean you'll be neat.
    Old 09-28-2010, 07:45 PM

Kudo's. When our son was young and not cleaning up his room we threatened to give everything but his bed, dresser and clothes to charity. He stood by and watched us pack up everything else in his room and watched as we carried it out to the front yard before he capitulated!

I listened to a speaker once tell a woman who's family just refused to help clean up after meals, take out the garbage, etc. His advice was to pack up all the utensils, dishes, glasses, cups, etc. Then take them to a friend. Oh she was supposed to keep 1 plate, glass, silverware. When her family was upset she told them that they had not helped and would not be enjoying dinner with her. It took less than a week for the family to decide to chip in on the work and eat together. BTW they were not allowed to use paper plates or eat from the cooking containers.

So, we have another son who when he was in his 30's lived with us for a while. Every time the griddle was needed there it was in the sink dirty from his last use. I was really tired of cleaning up that darn griddle so it went under our bed. Our son asked if we had seen it, and I said "It should be in with the other pots and pans". The griddle stayed under the bed for several months and then miraclessly reappeared. How about that?

You did good Mom. Until the consequences equal the offense nothing changes.
    Old 09-28-2010, 08:14 PM

With my girls I let them live in their mess in their rooms, but refused to have it in the rest of the house. I got tired of nagging them to put their shoes, school books and coats away when they came home from school.They would dump everything in the living room when they got home. One day after letting them know the consequences if they didn't come and get their things, I gathered it all up and put it in a clothes basket in my bedroom. The next morning there was a lot of crying and begging but I held my ground. I never had to do it again! :D