Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • Did you hear any screaming and crying from the NW >
  • Did you hear any screaming and crying from the NW

• Did you hear any screaming and crying from the NW

Old 09-29-2010, 05:46 AM

Originally Posted by hikingquilter
    With teenagers (and I have had 7)just close the door to their room. It's their space. I had rules about no clothes in the bathroom and no food in the bedroom. Everybody did their own laundry by the time they were 12. And yes, if something is found where it shouldn't be, make it disappear! Believe me, they learn. Pick your battles and save your sanity.
    I like this one as this is "how" I raised my kids....I do believe it is their "space"....however, I sometimes question my judgement "now" as one of the children still live this way "stuff" all over! It was a battle to have them clean their room and it did save my "sanity". They did learn it had to be in their room or it would disappear as my house was not going to look like their "bedroom".
    Old 09-29-2010, 05:58 AM

Originally Posted by moonwolf23
    Originally Posted by 2 Doods
    When mine were little the toys left out were put up and they had to pay to get them back.

As a teen-my son was so neat you would never know he was there. Not officially labeled O.C.D. but I think he was. Not now!!!! Kind of shocked me to see his apartment. But it is his house, not mine!
    O.C.D doesn't always mean you'll be neat.
    You're right. In his case it did-especially the bathroom. Everything had to be placed just right and perfect for him to leave the room. Made us late to school a lot. It was also the guest bath so it was always neat and clean.
    Old 09-29-2010, 07:14 AM
    Power Poster

What a wonderful idea! I wish I had that one about 10 years ago. To late now. And the idea of having them buy back their stuff is great also.
    Old 09-29-2010, 07:52 AM

If my DS did not take their clothes to the hamper in the laundry room they got to wear them dirty to school. I even had a teacher call me about 1 wearing the same clothes to school for 3 days. She wondered what was wrong. I told her and she asked DS in front of class what was up. That evening room was cleaned and clothes were in the hamper!
    I am now teaching my 9 yr old DGS to do his own laundry. Spot cleaning and all. He now knows what napkins are for, he uses them instead of his shirt tail :) He is also learning to cook simple meals and dishes go in the dishwasher not left where ever he gets done eating.
    Old 09-29-2010, 07:57 AM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

See had my mother done, that I don't think I would talk to her again. My room is my room and my domain. Outside the room I can see, but be aware if your kids are as private as I am, you will get the consequences as well.
    I think you misunderstand; occupying a room within the family home does not mean you own it. When you are writing the monthly mortgage check, paying the roofers, the yard guys, the service and repair people, the painters, keeping up with the maintenance ad infinitum, paying the utility and grocery bills, buying the furniture and linens for "your" room, THEN you can talk about it being "YOUR" room!

Private space to do as they wish is not part of the required parental obligation to ones offspring. You have a "room of your own" by the good grace of your loving parents, not by "rights".

Have another fat quarter, Love, this is not meant to bash you or anyone else, just gives a differing perspective.

Jan in VA (who was also a "mean mother" but whose daughter -- at age 15! -- once told her "Thank you, Mom, for being the kind of mother you are." I was so touched I cried.)
    Old 09-29-2010, 08:07 AM

Originally Posted by Jan in VA

See had my mother done, that I don't think I would talk to her again. My room is my room and my domain. Outside the room I can see, but be aware if your kids are as private as I am, you will get the consequences as well.
    I think you misunderstand; occupying a room within the family home does not mean you own it. When you are writing the monthly mortgage check, paying the roofers, the yard guys, the service and repair people, the painters, keeping up with the maintenance ad infinitum, paying the utility and grocery bills, buying the furniture and linens for "your" room, THEN you can talk about it being "YOUR" room!

Private space to do as they wish is not part of the required parental obligation to ones offspring. You have a "room of your own" by the good grace of your loving parents, not by "rights".

Have another fat quarter, Love, this is not meant to bash you or anyone else, just gives a differing perspective.

Jan in VA (who was also a "mean mother" but whose daughter -- at age 15! -- once told her "Thank you, Mom, for being the kind of mother you are." I was so touched I cried.)
    Jan,

I agree with you. I expected a certain standard in my house. If it wasn't met then things changed. I used a rake in my daughters room one day because "her room" was "creeping" into the hall.

My thought is.If I am providing you (my kids) a place to live, rules will be followed. When you start paying for your own house and other things then do as you want.

I bought their first car for them, rules were attached to that. (see a previous post)
    They keep up their part of the deal.
    Old 09-29-2010, 08:25 AM

Originally Posted by Jan in VA

I understood quite readily and I would have taken what you said and when I became an adult, would not have had contact with you.

You would have crossed my personal boundaries and it would not have been forgiven.
    Old 09-29-2010, 08:32 AM
    Power Poster

Strugling with similar issues. I think mine just got my lack of organizing genes even the adoptive ones. There are a few that don't though. I think overal too much stuff is the issue. They are not unwilling overal. I do think you got the right idea by packing up stuff. Let me know if you find soemthing that works well. Thanks!
    Old 09-29-2010, 08:36 AM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by Ditter43
    With my girls I let them live in their mess in their rooms, but refused to have it in the rest of the house. I got tired of nagging them to put their! :D

This seems to be were we are at right now. It is hard though as multiple children share rooms and I feel sorry for the one that is not a mess.
    Old 09-29-2010, 08:59 AM

You know I'm not a perfectionist but I know when enough is enough. My boys weren't too bad when they were living at home but oldest son's room looked like we were robbed, his car was dubbed "The Closet" and he was always misplacing his wallet, keys, etc. Middle son is like me, knows where his stuff is most of the time. Told them they needed to empty their pockets because any money found in the laundry was mine. After oldest lost a few 5's and 10's he got the message.

May in Jersey