Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • Did your Mom bake growing up?? >
  • Did your Mom bake growing up??

• Did your Mom bake growing up??

Old 08-01-2010, 02:31 PM

My mom made homemade bread and cinnamon rolls. I didn't share :) She made bread for everyone for Christmas last year - yum - couldn't wait to get home and pop some in the toaster.
    Old 08-01-2010, 02:42 PM

My mother baked and cooked everything homemade, I sometimes envied my friends whose moms didn't, how crazy is that? What was I thinking.? She passed her love of baking and cooking on to me. DH & I were married over seven yrs. before he ever had a sandwich, up until kids happened, all three meals a day were homemade from scratch, nothing pkgd or store bought. Can't say that now,though. Pizza and coke win out sometimes.
    Old 08-01-2010, 03:06 PM

My mom doesn't bake much. She cooks really well. Those aren't the same thing in my opinion. My great aunt was the baker. I wish I could be like her. Unfortunately, my cooking is a disaster (just look for eco-friendly targets and you'll see a picture of my muffins).

When I grow up (since I'm 47, I'm hoping that won't be soon :lol: ) I want to be just like my Mama. She has to be a saint to have raised me and my siblings. I'm still not sure how she forgave me for a few of my experiments.
    Old 08-01-2010, 03:06 PM

My mom did not like to bake. A friend of hers took me in and taught me how to bake. I would do all the baking and mom would do all the sewing. I hated to sew!!! Funny how things change. (she still does not bake)
    Old 08-01-2010, 03:41 PM

Loafs of homemade bread every Friday night, hot biscuits, muffins or cornmeal every meal, cakes, and lots of pies. When Mom made bread, she would pull off pieces of dough and fry it, then toss in cinnamon sugar....FRITTERS!! We couldn"t wait for those!! And she could whip up a pie while supper was cooking and have the pie ready to eat at the end of the meal.
    Old 08-01-2010, 03:42 PM

My Mom was a baker. We always had dessert - cake or pie. And she always make her pies with lard. She said it made the best pie crusts. My dad was partial to cherry pie. So much so that my dad planted a cherry tree in their back yard so he could have the "real" thing.
    Old 08-01-2010, 04:03 PM

My mother use to bake bread all the time,I can remember coming home from school and befor we could get into the house we could smell the bread bakeing,she would always put some dough in a round cake pan so when we got home we had nice hot buns that butter would just melt over them. I can still tast them. I bake bread also and love it , looks so nice and beatiful after coming out of the oven and the aroma the smell will stay with you forever.
    Old 08-01-2010, 05:17 PM

We come from a cooking family. My mom always baked, and still does to this day at age 74. She makes the best yeast rolls and homemade donuts ever! Her mom, my Memere, owned her own restaurant and the girls worked there. I enjoyed cooking at a fairly young age, and am a "from scratch" baker also. I love that my boys' wives call me for recipes alot of the time. Even had my 10 year old granddaughter call me for a recipe a couple of weeks ago, because she and her cousin wanted to bake something. Gotta love home cooking!!
    Old 08-01-2010, 05:30 PM

My mom cooked everything from scratch, and canned. Our treat was when she would go to Saps bakery and buy cases of day old donuts and freeze them. I tend not to buy premade either. Except for a loaf a bread. My kids always complain when they come by "there is no snacks in the house". What they really mean to say is that theres no junk food in the house.
    Old 08-01-2010, 05:32 PM

Yes my mother baked but she wasn't very good at it. Still isn't. As soon as I was old enough I took over the cooking and baking. I passed that on to my daughters!