Disaster in Freezer Land

Old 07-17-2010, 09:57 PM
Power Poster

Sorry for your disaster...and hope your freezer continues to work. We have 5 boys and 'til they were old enough to be responsible (in their early teens) no-one was allowed to just help themselves to the freezer or run amok with the contents of the fridge or pantry. Saved dramas and arguments about "who ate what" and "who took the last whatever".
Old 07-17-2010, 10:45 PM

I learned the hard way also. I used to keep my freezer door locked with the key still in the lock. But one day DH opened the freezer without unlocking (you would think he would have noticed it was hard to open!) and just pulled really hard and ripped the whole lock mechanism out!!! So, I used to buy those refrigerator child proof locks to put on it but now I just use a couple of those magnetic strips that you use when you make warm windows.

After my kids leaving my freezer door open and losing entire contents several times, I finally have them trained to use these magnetic strips.
Old 07-18-2010, 05:03 AM
Pam

Sorry about your lose. I also have LOTS of expensive goddies down there. Last year we went to the coast and caught about 200 lbs of shrimp, lots of that is still down there along with all of our venison. Even if insurance covered it, how can you claim game meat?

I must share a story, my friend's Grandma with Alheimers unplugged the freezer, in their garage, in South Carolia summer. They did not know for how long, and it smelled like nobody's business! Seriously BAD. They could not get the smell out and had to chuck the freezer.
Old 07-18-2010, 05:54 AM

i feel for you. we have a small freezer in our laundry room and our grandson, unkown to us, turned the control to off. he likes buttons. did not find for a couple of days. he also did this to the freezer at our house.
Old 07-18-2010, 05:58 AM

Been there and done that, the only trouble was ours was in the kitchen. Oh what a mess. Had been out of town and door must have popped open from air conditioner being off and house got hot. No more uprights for me.
Old 07-18-2010, 06:08 AM
Power Poster

Aw, Hugs! What a loss.........
Old 07-18-2010, 06:24 AM
Power Poster

I am so sorry. I know in the grand scheme of things this isn't so bad but I know I would certainly blow a gasket if this happened to me. One of the many reasons I opted to not have kids, not that they would do kid things but my temper is so bad I would totally blow it out of proportion for the poor kid. Best not to subject a child to that so no kids for me. I have a chest freezer so I don't have to worry that it is shut good when I go down there to get something.

We lost power last night around 9 and all I could think about was all my stuff in the freezer. Luckily it was back on by 8:30 this morning. Everything stayed good in the upstairs fridge and freezer. The ice cream had gotten a little soft so I decided it was best to eat it. :lol:
Old 07-18-2010, 06:41 AM
Power Poster

How sad. That is a major loss. I hope your insurance company can help.
Old 07-18-2010, 06:51 AM

JUst happened here this week! Grandson(5) went to the basement freezer to get a popcicle( didnt tell us!!) The door didn't close completly, lots of frost built up, but the meat was still mostly frozen, we were told as long as it still had ice crystals it was safe to refreeze. Then we checked the refrig. that sits right next to it, and low and behold, it had stopped working on it's own!! Didn't really lose a lot, but enough. I"m beginning to think it isnt smart to have a frig or freezer anyplace but your kitchen!!
Old 07-18-2010, 06:59 AM

Don't you just hate that??? My kids did that a coupla times....and we lost LoADS of fish we'd caught at the coast (both times)....Finally, I forbade the kids from EVER getting in the freezer. Now my daughter will visit and say "do you want me to get it out of the freezer, or am I still in trouble?"....ROL! :mrgreen: