Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • Do any of you clench your teeth/have tooth sensitivity?? >
  • Do any of you clench your teeth/have tooth sensitivity??

• Do any of you clench your teeth/have tooth sensitivity??

Old 12-23-2009, 02:31 PM
    Power Poster

I used to grind my teeth in my sleep. I have mellowed over the years, and I don't think I do that any more.
    Old 12-23-2009, 03:47 PM

Yes, I clench. I thought I had jaw problems, my bite was off. Switched to a new dentist who had a reputation for being good with jaw problems and she said I was a clencher. She also said that many people are and aren't aware of it. I had a mouthguard made for my top teeth that doesn't allow me to do it. What a difference. I misplaced it for a while and bought one at a drugstore but for me, the dentist made one was worth the expense and far superior to the inexpensive one. If it keeps me from having dental problems in the future, I'm all for it.
    lots2do
    Old 12-23-2009, 04:25 PM

I also grind my teeth and have been wearing a top mouth guard for years....it has helped me keep my jaw in place.
    Got mine thru the dentist.
    Old 12-23-2009, 05:51 PM
    Power Poster

You have to go to the dentist, that's too important, tooth and gum problems can lead to heart disease and all kinds of health problems. I had very sensitive teeth too. They seem to hurt all the time. The cold water used in the dentist office was almost more then I could handle. It was a constant dread eating and drinking anything not lukewarm. I solved my problem. I got caps on every one of my teeth. I have no sensitivity issues at all anymore. And the caps corrected a lot of cosmetic problems. It was worth every cent and I would do it again if I had to eat only beans and rice for a year to pay for it or take a second or third job. It's the best thing I ever done for myself.

Oh I forgot my Dr. put me on a very high dose of Vitamin D and on COQ10 daily. He said those deficiencies will cause gum problems. Won't hurt to take Vitamin D. Lots of it. The sun give you 25000 units in 20 minutes, if you aren't in the sun sometime during the day you are deficient.
    Old 12-23-2009, 08:05 PM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by Lostn51
    I have a habit of clenching my teeth both day and sometimes at night and according to my doctor he said that is what leads to my muscle tension headaches. The bad part of it is I do not know that I am doing this until my head is about to come off of my shoulders.

It usually happens when I am working on something that has to be perfect (which is almost everything I do) so the doctor gives me Soma and Loratabs to combat the pain.

Billy
    You can teach yourself to become in tune with the problem. I do the same thing and now I started to recognize the early warning signs. At that point, I start my de-stressing exercises and relaxation of the jaw. Yes, the headaches are bad but when the mouth won't open, that's even worse.
    Old 12-24-2009, 07:17 AM

I clench and had the same problem. The Crest Sensitive toothpaste cured it. I have been using it now for over 10 years. But also, I clench so tight I have cracks in all of my teeth so I am slowly having to have crowns.
    Old 12-24-2009, 07:25 AM

I also clench and grind my teeth at night. I've done this for many years. The dentist started me out with a bottom brixing guard in 1977 and it helped. I've been through about 6 of them since then. I now use a top brixing guard that is a soft temperature controled plastic. (put it in hot water to soften before putting in). It helps, but doesn't stop the clenching or grinding. My issue is facial pain, I grind because of the pain and the pain causes the grinding. I grind so hard I've cracked teeth. Had a premolar root canaled last year only to find out that it was cracked and had to be removed. Then this spring had to have another removed because I was now grinding on it. As for the cleaning - let your dentist know how painful it is and for how long after you suffer. I take 2 extra strength Advil before going for my cleaning and if it is my regular hygenist I'm only sore for a few hours after. If it is not my regular I've learned to rebook the appointment. I also use Sensadyne toothpaste (have for years). If I don't I can't eat anything hot or cold. I hope you will be able to find the cause of your sensitiviy, it can be a lifelong problem.
    Old 12-24-2009, 07:49 AM

Another thing I remembered after someone mentioned hairline cracks. My dentist said hard candies are the worst for people to suck/chew on. Most of us eventually start to chew them and they cause hairline cracks.

Also, if you have something hot then cold in your mouth, say, ice cream and coffee together. Has a negative effect on your teeth.
    Old 12-24-2009, 10:15 AM

Call your dentist immediately. Tooth cleaning shouldn't hurt like that. My daughter has TMJ and her dentist cleans her teeth with a super sonic cleaner so that she doesn't have to have her jaw open too long. I recently had to have a crown and then a root canal on the same tooth. They used a small jaw block so that I could close my mouth part way and they could still work on it. It helped, but I still might have to have the tooth removed. I too clench my teeth. Massage might also be a good idea.
    Old 12-24-2009, 11:00 AM

Dentist told me to get a mouth guard and wear it at night.