Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • Do you collect recipe books? >
  • Do you collect recipe books?

• Do you collect recipe books?

Old 04-24-2010, 09:43 PM

I just got rid of 4 or 5 boxes full...I love cookbooks, especially the "community" kinds...no woman worth her salt is going to put in a recipe that she doesn't know is a great recipe! After all, her name is on it! ;)

I also love Paula Deen's cookbooks...and the Taste of Home cookbooks.... :)

I made a small cookbook for the kids one year for Christmas with recipes that I made all of the time they were growing up, along with some of my mother's recipes...Titled it, "My Mom Did it This Way..." (I have two grown, married sons) and I included a section of blank pages in the back with a subtitle(?) of "To Heck with Your Mom, This is MY Way!"

Typed them out, printed on cardstock, made cardstock covers and took them to Staples to be bound...think they cost me about $5 a copy, printing and all...
    Old 04-24-2010, 09:53 PM
    Google Goddess

Awesome ideas on printing up your own cookbook!

Craftybear

Originally Posted by Charlee
    I just got rid of 4 or 5 boxes full...I love cookbooks, especially the "community" kinds...no woman worth her salt is going to put in a recipe that she doesn't know is a great recipe! After all, her name is on it! ;)

I also love Paula Deen's cookbooks...and the Taste of Home cookbooks.... :)

I made a small cookbook for the kids one year for Christmas with recipes that I made all of the time they were growing up, along with some of my mother's recipes...Titled it, "My Mom Did it This Way..." (I have two grown, married sons) and I included a section of blank pages in the back with a subtitle(?) of "To Heck with Your Mom, This is MY Way!"

Typed them out, printed on cardstock, made cardstock covers and took them to Staples to be bound...think they cost me about $5 a copy, printing and all...
    Old 04-25-2010, 03:56 AM

I would rather read a cookbook than a novel any day. I have 5 bookshelves full and more in boxes. I especially like the old ones that can be found at garage sales.
    One time I picked up a handwritten cookbook at a yard sale. When I looked through it, I found a recipe for cookies and I recognized the writing. Turns out, the book belonged to the Grandma of my friend at work. It had been put into the Goodwill box by her son when cleaning out the house. I returned the book to my friend. Some things should stay in the family.
    Old 04-25-2010, 04:43 AM

I certainly have more then what I need, I did get rid of a ton of them before we moved. The thing is I don't know why I collect them, because I absolutely HATE to cook. LOL
    Old 04-25-2010, 05:00 AM

Ohh Yes!! I love old cookbooks, enjoy sitting down and looking thru them. Have a fair collection of them, some are falling apart from use/abuse tho. I used to cook in Nursing homes, and carried a few with me all the time, along with my own rolling pin.LOL
    Old 04-25-2010, 05:10 AM
    Power Poster

No, thank goodness, I have nearly 2000 books as it is. If I got hooked on collecting cook books I would have nowhere to put them.
    Old 04-25-2010, 05:13 AM
    Power Poster

I love collecting and reading old cookbooks. I like trying to figure out some of the ingreidents they used. I like the ones put out by the churches,firehalls, communities etc.
    Remember all thos old Pillsbury ones? I have many of those. Even have one for making jello.
    Old 04-25-2010, 06:25 AM
    Power Poster

Yes, I love finding them at garage sales. My favorites are the really old ones, or the church ones. Its so fun to see all the diffrent ways people make things!
    Old 04-25-2010, 06:32 AM

Charlee - love your idea of a cookbook for the kids. I was kicking that idea around but you did all the hard work (finding out how to put together). Think I'll use for Christmas this year. Once again, thanks for the info.
    Old 04-25-2010, 06:45 AM

If you're going to print your own, make sure that you leave enough left hand margin (about an inch or so) to allow for them to punch holes for the binding comb or spiral. (I only left a half inch, it just barely clears the print!)

It's a big joke in our house...the first time William said "My mom made it "this" way..." I told him that if he wanted his mom's cooking, then he should go to his mom's house for dinner! :lol: Then when I started getting calls from my daughters in law about "He wants me to get your recipe...he doesn't like mine" I had to laugh...guess it has something to do with testostrone!