Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • Do you collect recipe books? >
  • Do you collect recipe books?

• Do you collect recipe books?

Old 04-25-2010, 06:57 AM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by Charlee
    If you're going to print your own, make sure that you leave enough left hand margin (about an inch or so) to allow for them to punch holes for the binding comb or spiral. (I only left a half inch, it just barely clears the print!)

It's a big joke in our house...the first time William said "My mom made it "this" way..." I told him that if he wanted his mom's cooking, then he should go to his mom's house for dinner! :lol: Then when I started getting calls from my daughters in law about "He wants me to get your recipe...he doesn't like mine" I had to laugh...guess it has something to do with testostrone!
    Love your ideas - especially for the section - To heck with your mom's recipe . .

I did something similar. I used three-ring binders that were for the 5.5 x 8.5 plastic paper holder/protector things. (Can't think of the name now) Then I printed the recipes on card stock paper, put them in the paper protectors so that they can be wiped off if spilled on. Ink jet print runs/smears when it gets wet. I also gave them an "extra" empty three ring binder, protector sheets, and paper cut to size.

I use my copy a lot - I started out making a book for me for the recipes that I'm always needing to look up - and don't remember which cookbook they were in.

I included "boring" things like how to make gravy, how long to cook a hard-cooked egg, my versions of chili and "hot dish".

I did do a few "composite" recips - one is for broccoli salad and another is for cheesy hash browns. I looked up several versions of whatever and compared them.

A composite recipe is where the list of ingredients goes like this:

1/4 to 1 cup chopped onion
    1/2 to 1 cup chopped green peppers

1/4 to 1 cup mayo

etc.

It's now two or three years later - and I'm noticing the typos :-( corrections, and additions I need to make.
    Old 04-25-2010, 07:08 AM

I've done cookbooks with comb binders. If you are doing lots of books, check the prices on the binder machines. The one I have now came from a yard sale for ten dollars and I have certainly gotten my money's worth.
    Old 04-25-2010, 07:29 AM

Wow, that is a great idea! Thanks ladies, I can see a Christmas gift in the offing here for my 3 kids.
    Old 04-25-2010, 10:50 AM

I have a shelf full of recipe books, but I get them only if they interest me. Some of my scores are a 1946 Better Homes and Garden cookbook, a 1929 Modern Priscilla, and a mid-1960s Better Homes and Garden cookbook. I grew up with the mid1960s BH&G one.

I have the reprint 1896 Fannie Farmer and the reprint of Martha Washington's Booke of Cookery. I almost forgot - a reprint of the 1856 Mrs. Beeton's Book of Household Management

I like the ones that list older methods of cooking...
    Old 04-25-2010, 11:30 AM

Originally Posted by kwhite
    Collect yes, use NO!!!
    Ditto!
    Old 04-25-2010, 12:23 PM

Oh, yes. I have more than I need. When we remodeled the kitchen they got boxed up and most have never been unboxed.

I also made a cookbook for my daughters. I called mine "Cooking Like Mom". The girls (and a cousin) got their copies for Christmas one year. I had family members send me recipes to include and their names are also by that recipe. I included little anecdotes with the recipes and if it was from a deceased family member I listed the dates with it. Since it was given away, both of my sisters have requested copies along with a few of the kids friends. It was a lot of fun and took a good chunk of time to do. I even put the pages in protective sheets so that they can be wiped off when spills occur during cooking. I also send additional recipes when I think it is one they might like.

I have a recipe book from a great aunt that is hand written in a small 3-ring binder. Very interesting ingredients in some of the recipes. I had hoped to get my Grandmother's book, but I think another cousin snuck away with it! :(
    Old 04-25-2010, 03:29 PM

I looooooove collecting recipe books and online!!!! While I'm on mat leave this year I plan to re-organize my recipes so it is easier to find my favourites and keep all the little cut outs and such in a more logical and organized manner...

I'm a HUGE foodie and treat my recipe books like novels!! I love to sit in my kitchen while cooking supper and haul out a book to read and drool over!! LOL
    Old 04-25-2010, 03:31 PM

Originally Posted by kathyd
    Oh, yes. I have more than I need. When we remodeled the kitchen they got boxed up and most have never been unboxed.

I also made a cookbook for my daughters. I called mine "Cooking Like Mom". The girls (and a cousin) got their copies for Christmas one year. I had family members send me recipes to include and their names are also by that recipe. I included little anecdotes with the recipes and if it was from a deceased family member I listed the dates with it. Since it was given away, both of my sisters have requested copies along with a few of the kids friends. It was a lot of fun and took a good chunk of time to do. I even put the pages in protective sheets so that they can be wiped off when spills occur during cooking. I also send additional recipes when I think it is one they might like.

I have a recipe book from a great aunt that is hand written in a small 3-ring binder. Very interesting ingredients in some of the recipes. I had hoped to get my Grandmother's book, but I think another cousin snuck away with it! :(
    I love using those protective sheets with my recipe binders!! What a fabulous idea to pass along to your family!! I'll have to keep that in mind down the road for my soon to arrive baby William when he is older. Hopefully he will love food and the kitchen as much as his Mum and Dad!!
    Old 04-25-2010, 03:32 PM

Originally Posted by Lacelady
    No, thank goodness, I have nearly 2000 books as it is. If I got hooked on collecting cook books I would have nowhere to put them.
    2000 books!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You are my new hero!!!!!!!!! :)
    Old 07-22-2011, 12:54 PM
    Google Goddess

I have been organizing my cookbooks and guess what

I have duplicates!!!