Do you cook or zap?

Old 04-15-2010, 03:34 AM

When my husband was laid off last year, he went to texas for 3 months. so i was home alone. i lived off of soup and sandwiches...didn't want to cook for myself either.
Old 04-15-2010, 03:35 AM

I cook. I don't like the tast of Nuke.
Old 04-15-2010, 04:54 AM

Nope. Convenience foods are sooooo not on my list of things to buy. They are usually made with white flour, have too much fat and/or sodium, sugar. I went through a period of time about 10 years ago when I worked and didn't have time to make lunch, and those prepackaged things always left me feeling hungry. Yet, they were 400-500 cals. Now, I know it's because it wasn't exactly nutritious, kwim?
Old 04-15-2010, 07:04 AM

I equally do both.
Old 04-15-2010, 07:10 AM
Power Poster

I nuke when it's convenient but usually baked potatoes or frozen veggies. One thing to know, never microwave in plastic. Take it out and put it in a glass container. Plastic leeches bad stuff, and over time it will be a lot built up in your body. Many kids get blasted with microwave plastic ingestion daily. What will their health be at age 50? I cringe when I see a plastic baby bottle in the mircowave. NEVER!
Old 04-15-2010, 10:22 AM

I'm with you, Karen. Most of my meals come out of the microwave as well. And I know what you mean about leftovers. Every now and then I'll be inspired and pick up some nice fresh veggies at the grocery store for salads and such. Most of the time we can't use them before they spoil so out they go.
Old 04-15-2010, 10:54 AM

I like to cook,there are 4 of us ,my 2 daughters,my ex mother inlaw (a couple of husbands ago) and me,oops one of the girls boyfiends is here alot.The girls both have jobs now after school and on the weekends and one of the girls is on a softball team,so when I cook, its when we are all home, we have a lot of lean cusisines in the freezer and cans of soup.make do when I am not cooking
Old 04-15-2010, 12:13 PM
Banned

I'm trying to learn how to cook. I watched a film recently called Food, Inc. that turned me off of processed food almost completely. I also have a medical condition that requires me to avoid preservatives...so, I'm cooking :)

It's rather hard, as I'm in my mid-30's and I never really learned how. I think it's fairly common among my generation -- our moms never had the time to teach us, or avoided cooking themselves, and so most of my life I ate packaged food or take out. Trying to figure out the basics has been challenging, but I'm getting there -- made a nice salmon with green beans and pesto last night :)
Old 04-15-2010, 12:51 PM

I cook, bake, open cans, zap, freeze and eat out. Today's lunch was a jar of homemade carrot soup from our freezer. Tonight's dinner will be baked meat loaf with brown gravy (jar), fresh string beans and a baked potato. Tomorrow's dinner will be left over meatloaf warmed in the oven with ketchup on top, will zap leftover string beans and some rice that I froze after Sunday's dinner. Might even add fresh salad. If there is still some meatloaf left I'll freeze it for a quick lunch at a later date. Just the 2 of us but hate to use too many convienence foods, too expensive and much salt for our diets. We do eat of a bit and usually take home half of our meal for the next day's lunch or dinner. Gotta go and get the meatloaf and potatoes into the oven. May in Jersey
Old 04-15-2010, 01:10 PM

I cook from scratch. I only zap the leftovers occasionally, (unless it's meat, then oven)