Do you cook or zap?

Old 04-16-2010, 09:37 AM

I don't have a stove in my house, yet. So, I zap everything. :-D
Old 04-16-2010, 10:15 AM
Banned

I cook from scratch. I was an empty nester for 3 years until DD had to come home but it didnt stop me when I was all alone to cook. I still cooked every night and baked a few days out of the week, including bread. I didn't make the entire recipe I would 1/2 the recipe. I don't like to freeze baked goods or make up meals to freeze and eat later. That was the sadest part about being alone I LOVVVVVVVVVVEEEEEEEEEEEEE to cook and bake more then quilt but there wasn't much to cook or bake for 1.........
Old 04-16-2010, 10:30 AM

Hmmmm...sometimes I cook, but it isn't something I really enjoy doing. Both of my sisters are great cooks, but they live 8 hours away!
I often will buy a whole cooked chicken - roasted or rotisseried - then steam some rice & nuke some veggies to go with it. I don't have any problems with leftovers :D
I do like to make soup & other things in the crockpot. When I do that, I will freeze part for later.
I don't do a lot of commercial frozen foods or take out - partly due to the 'extra' stuff in them, partly the cost.

Old 04-16-2010, 10:55 AM

I'm pretty much an empty nester. I try to cook several times a week, big stuff to last. Downside, hubby & grown son are big eaters so not much for leftovers. Sometimes hubby cooks but it's generally something no one else eats.

I get semi-stressed, what to make, gotta cook again, just over it I guess. When left to myself, I'll go without before I cook for myself. That's not good either. Oh well. Pepsi and popcorn keep the hunger at bay.
Old 04-16-2010, 11:00 AM
Power Poster

You didn't add buying take out as an option. lol

Actually, I like to cook and when DH goes back to dayshift (June - fingers crossed) I will be cooking again.

Microwave is used for heating up things. Our microwave was out of commission a while back and I had to REMEMBER how to heat things up the old-fashioned way.
Old 04-16-2010, 11:01 AM

Well surprise surprise!!....I'll be cooking instead of zapping tonight.
My DD and her 3 kids will be here and I'm making chicken alfredo.
I'm having fun.
I haven't had a chance to cook "for" anyone since Xmas.
Now if I can just remember where I left the big pot???
Old 04-16-2010, 11:07 AM

I cook from scratch, fresh herbs, veggies, etc. For so many years I was too busy with full-time work and college at night to really have time to prepare a meal, so I had to rely on convenience products.

Now that I have the time I really enjoy trying new recipes and have developed some real cooking skills. I am a much better cook these days, but it does take time that so many have too little of. :-P
Old 04-16-2010, 11:15 AM

Originally Posted by mytwopals
I don't have a stove in my house, yet. So, I zap everything. :-D
Really? That's interesting...I've never known anyone who didn't have a stove.
Can I ask why?
Old 04-16-2010, 11:41 AM

I cook from scratch most of the time. Nuke the canned veggies, steam the fresh or frozen on the stove. Microwave is used mainly for warming things up. And I love leftovers! Right now I have a pot of homemade chicken noodle soup on the stove for dinner. Another empty nester here.
Old 04-17-2010, 03:32 PM

Hubby and I are vegetarian, so that makes cooking at home almost manditory around here - even the salads on the menus at restaurants have meat piled on.

We often comment on what a luxury it is that we have time to cook - we like our stuff pretty well, and it does take some time. I eek out quilting time by making up big batches of soup or large casseroles that will last more than one evening. Then we only have to add a nice salad, or some veggies and/or sandwich. Sometimes we freeze part of it so we have quickie meals when we want them.

I am sorry that I am one of those moms who didn't really teach her kids to cook - fortunately my daughter is married to someone who is quite food conscious from allergies, so they put together some pretty good food for themselves and their kids. My single son just asked me to send him 3 cookie recipes from when he was growing up - unfortunately, that says it all about his diet. (Uck!)

Keep on cookin' ladies!