Do you cook or zap?

Old 04-17-2010, 03:35 PM
Power Poster

I like to cook from scratch a lot, even baking cookies and other good stuff like that, for suppers when my Jim gets home from work, but I am not afraid of the microwave. I use it for quick stuff when Jim is not home, when I am just getting myself a little something for lunch.
Old 04-17-2010, 03:58 PM
Banned

I cook.....I only zap popcorn or to reheat something. I haven't found any frozen foods I care for.
Old 04-17-2010, 04:09 PM

Being single, I've always cooked for one unless I was having guests. I far prefer my cooked meals to the ones you buy frozen or canned - yet I'm lazy and will almost always reach for anything instant that I have on hand rather than cooking. I also take out far too often.

Most recipes are for 4 - 6 portions, so I cook, freeze, then zap. I don't think of the extra portions as "leftovers" at all. Leftovers are when I don't finish what I took for my plate or dish for that evening's meal and stick in the fridge because I don't want to throw it out. I eat those in a day or two with varying degrees of enthusiasm. But the extra servings that I freeze are just pre-made dishes, not leftovers.

I use the microwave for:
-- popcorn
-- thawing those pre-made frozen one-dish meals
-- some (not all) bought frozen dinners
-- thawing frozen fruit for morning shakes or salsas, if I forget to thaw them in the fridge

But I can cook full meals in the microwave. I lived in one place where all I had was a microwave. I bought a crock pot but almost never used it as recipes often required cooking on a burner before putting the food into the crockpot. Once you have to do that, what is the point?

I also once lived in a place where all I had was a 2-burner hot plate and a toaster oven. I got to where I could cook absolutely anything I wanted except for a Thanksgiving turkey, which wouldn't fit. Really, using a full-sized oven is overkill for most things.
Old 04-17-2010, 04:13 PM

Originally Posted by Lisanne
I bought a crock pot but almost never used it as recipes often required cooking on a burner before putting the food into the crockpot. Once you have to do that, what is the point?
I agree about the crockpot. I have one that I've never used. I asked for it in our Xmas gift exchange 5 years ago, but after reading the manual I never took it out of the box.
Old 04-17-2010, 04:13 PM

You need and electric skillet! I use mine most of the time. Which reminds me, I need to get a new one.
Old 04-17-2010, 04:14 PM

Crock pots are really nice but I usually don't think about fixing dinner until it's to late to use the crock pot.
Old 04-17-2010, 04:48 PM

As a 13 year empty nester, I only cook whole foods since the start of the year, no processed anything, no microwave in the home.

I make a large pot of brown rice once a weekand keep it in the fridge, use frozen or fresh veggies, and fish or chicken to saute with olive oil and some herbs. It only takes me a few minutes to cook a fast dinner in a saute pan this way. I make extra sometimes and just put it in a pan on warm for about 15 minutes and get another dinner out of it.

I need to lose a ton of weight, cause by eating convenience foods, so breakfast is now organic yogurt and fruit, lunch is a greens and veggie salad wth olive oil and lemon. Fruit is my snack food.

I drink green tea with a cinnamon stick in it, and water with lemon all day long. I have a juicer and make juice about three times a week. I guess you could say I'm part of the Food Revolution.

It's rare I have anyone over, but if I do, I will cook a roast beef or roast chicken with fresh veggies and salmon bits. I can get meats at Trader Joe's without hormones, antibiotics, and it is grass fed or organic. I don't find it that much more expensive than the local grocery store. In the summer, I grow some veggies and herbs in pots.

My downfall is ice cream. Homemade, local dairy, and Haggen Daz.......kills me.

I have given away the majority of my baking pans ( all but three ceramic stove top pans), and all of my serving dishes and now just keep the minimum of what I need for myself. I store fabric in my cabinets and hutch now! LOL!

Now, if I would just exercise, the weight might come off faster!!

Diane
Old 04-17-2010, 07:23 PM

We just became empty nesters and neither of us like processed food. My two crock pots are going every weekend then freeze. It is usually late by the time that I get home from work and I don't feel like cooking so this is the way that I get around that problem. We do nuke the frozen foods and being as my husband is out of work right now he can have it fixed by the time that I get home. Otherwise we have breakfast for supper which is all that he can cook.
Old 04-17-2010, 11:34 PM
Banned

I cook if the pain is not to bad other wise hubby cooks. Penny
Old 04-18-2010, 02:26 AM

Originally Posted by dmackey
Now, if I would just exercise, the weight might come off faster!!
Diane
Oh I hate trying to lose weight. I should lose 60lbs but I can't get more than 20lbs off in the past year.
You've made more changes than I have. Keep us posted how you're doing. Maybe it'll spur me (and others) to keep up with you!
Good luck.