Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • Do you do the  "lost and then found" routine? >
  • Do you do the "lost and then found" routine?

• Do you do the "lost and then found" routine?

Old 04-30-2011, 05:54 AM
    Power Poster

Schooch on over girlfriend.....I'm right there in this big group! I put away some figurines when decorating for Christmas 8 yrs. ago...haven't found them since!

My Mom told me that she was "squirreling" away some $$ for a special purpose...then she passed away suddenly. I went through every single item in that house...never found any...I have NO idea what she did or how much she had "squirreled"... its a vicious cycle for me...put something "away"...then spend hours hunting it down. :roll:
    Old 04-30-2011, 06:00 AM

Dh's gm was the dickens for hidding "extra" cash; in books, little decorative boxes w/lids, pockets, kitchen cannisters, just everywhere. SIL and I always said we wanted to get in the house first when she died, just to see how many hiding places there really were. Some of her real treasures were missing because she started giving things away to anyone that visited. They were hers to give away. As we packed up things prior to selling the house, we found enough cash to take 6 adults and 8 children out to a very nice resturant. GM would have thought us very wasteful; been happier for us to just hid it again in our our homes.
    Old 04-30-2011, 06:30 AM

Originally Posted by tellabella
    I always wondered as a child when my mother would point out certain "hiding" spots she used so that when she returned from a holiday, or in her words "God fordbid I should die!" we, her daughters, would know where she had put her valuables...

Well, I have turned into the biggest "loser" of stuff...I will put stuff away in what I think is the perfect spot, and sure that I will know exactly where I put it..only to find later that I have no idea where it is...examples...

I put my bracelet in a Christmas oven mitt one year, then forgot about it, packed it up with the Christmas stuff, thought I lost it at the mall, and the following Christmas, found a great surprise when I unpacked the mitts...packed up jewellry in the balloon drapes, then forgot...dropped my rings in a dress pocket, then forgot...and on it goes..

Do the same thing at work..will have a copy of something...needless to say it will disappear 2 minutes later, then reappear right before my eyes...

and not to mention quiting things...I know that when i have so much to do it gets worse, and stress makes me very forgetful

...am I losing my mind...please tell me somebody else knows what I am talking about...
    You sound like some of my kids that have ADD attention deficit
    Old 04-30-2011, 06:36 AM

Sounds a lot like me! I have found (and keep trying to do it!) that I need a logical place for everything and HAVE to put things back in their proper place immediately or it will be lost. Example: car keys. I used to put them in a coat pocket, on the kitchen counter, on the end table, wherever I happened to set them down. One day, I knew I had put them in my coat pocket, so I grabbed my coat, went out on a date, came home and found that the keys were in my OTHER coat pocket. I had to wade through thigh high snow to get to a window I knew I could "break in" to my own house. My date followed me around the house, made sure I got in the house before he left... and I never heard from him again. LOL I'm sure he thought I was a crazy woman!! Now, my keys ALWAYS go in a certain pocket in my purse and I always make sure I have my keys in my purse and my purse in my hand before I lock the car door. I'm sure you know why I learned to do this!
    Old 04-30-2011, 06:42 AM

"Do the same thing at work..will have a copy of something...needless to say it will disappear 2 minutes later, then reappear right before my eyes..."

I have visions of pieces of paper laying around saying "na-na-na...you ca-an't find me".

Sad really. :cry:
    Old 04-30-2011, 07:06 AM

Believe me - you're not alone. I used to pride myself (silently!) on my memory. Now - forget it is literally the case! Lost my pearls for 2 years. Lose my mind constantly...
    Old 04-30-2011, 07:16 AM

Originally Posted by tellabella
    I always wondered as a child when my mother would point out certain "hiding" spots she used so that when she returned from a holiday, or in her words "God fordbid I should die!" we, her daughters, would know where she had put her valuables...

Well, I have turned into the biggest "loser" of stuff...I will put stuff away in what I think is the perfect spot, and sure that I will know exactly where I put it..only to find later that I have no idea where it is...examples...

I put my bracelet in a Christmas oven mitt one year, then forgot about it, packed it up with the Christmas stuff, thought I lost it at the mall, and the following Christmas, found a great surprise when I unpacked the mitts...packed up jewellry in the balloon drapes, then forgot...dropped my rings in a dress pocket, then forgot...and on it goes..

Do the same thing at work..will have a copy of something...needless to say it will disappear 2 minutes later, then reappear right before my eyes...

and not to mention quiting things...I know that when i have so much to do it gets worse, and stress makes me very forgetful

...am I losing my mind...please tell me somebody else knows what I am talking about...
    I am laughing soooooooooooo hard! I know when I eventually move, I will find all of the stuff I put in the same hiding places you did! What I do now, is write down, on a calendar I have, clues to where I have hidden things....like ring, sugar....so I know it is in the sugar bowl in the cabinet!!! Hahahahahahahaa...that sounds a silly as can be now that I am writing it......I write clues so no one else can find it all if they find my calendar!!! LOL!!!! How funny is this???????well, I did put my truly valuable things in the safe but I couldn't enjoy them. Now, I try to change my things according to the seasons so there is variety. What I really have done though, is give lots of my stuff away to my daughter, son, in law children, nieces, nephews. I asked them to choose what and if they wanted anything, and I get the biggest kick out of seeing them with the things. I also don't want to have anyone fighting over "things" when I pass on. as a matter of fact, I am taking my daughter in law and daughter to the jewelers to pick out new ring settings for my grandmother' and my own rings. They have special birthdays coming up and it will be my pleasure to do this and see them enjoy it. WOW!! Did I get off on a tangent! I once lost one earring and found it a year later. I know I have other surprises in store for me! Thanks for the laugh.
    Old 04-30-2011, 07:41 AM
    Power Poster

I still think there are gremlins that move things from where we put them.

I sometimes have trouble "seeing" what's in front of me - especially in the refrigerator.
    Old 04-30-2011, 07:47 AM

Any of these posts could have been written about me. My husband was becoming convinced that I was getting Alzheimer's.
    Well yesterday I was at the naturopath and she was asking about medications. She said it was what I am taking for cholesterol that was effecting my short term memory. Sure makes me feel better about how bad it was getting. I intend having a good talk with my pharmacist.
    Old 04-30-2011, 07:56 AM

I've done it as well. Alsways putting something in a "safe" place or laying it down "for a minute" and then forgetting where.

Stress does make it worse. As the saying goes, and reading everyone else's answer, "you are not alone." :)