Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • Do you dye your gray hair & other grooming secrets >
  • Do you dye your gray hair & other grooming secrets

• Do you dye your gray hair & other grooming secrets

Old 07-01-2010, 07:14 PM

With a gray haired husband, I think it is horrible for the wife to color her hair. I'm 62 and have never considered coloring mine. My mother was 79 at her death and had less gray hair than I have. I guess I took after dad.
    Old 07-01-2010, 07:14 PM

I use to dye my hair lt auburn. I've blotchy red head complection and it looked natural until late 30's when mule's gray started and I'd have a pink fringe around my face. So, I gave up. A feller at the store a few months back asked if I had my hair bleached around my face......I said thank you. He asked why I thanked him and I said, well for you to think I could afford a fancy thing like that makes me feel good but you not getting a tip. So, I'm happy with my frame of white and the rest is catching up with it.

I use to say I felt so sorry for old ladies who continued to use make up when the wrinkles were deep set and the alligator skin showed streaks, because it looked like they scrumched up their faces and threw the make up in the air and caught it with a frown !!! Now, I'm HER. I use a bigger paint brush. :)

Blessings,
    Ruth
    Old 07-01-2010, 07:15 PM
    Power Poster

I let my hair grow out to it's natural color (which at this point is a pretty white) and was fine with it til three people at the hospital commented that my brother was working this weekend. It wasn't my brother, it was my dad. I colored my hair the next day off.
    Old 07-01-2010, 07:26 PM

My DH prefers me without makeup, so I rarely wear it. I'm starting to grey around my face, but intend to just let it go the way nature intended. I can't afford the $$ to color it and keep it up, and have better things to do with my time. A few times a year I will get a pedicure. I used to have my nails "done" every two weeks when I was working. Now they are healthier and happier to just be left alone. So, I'm in the "what you see is what you get" category.
    Old 07-01-2010, 08:09 PM
    Power Poster

My hair just turns white down the center where the part is. I feel like a skunk (except I have brown hair), so I will color no matter what others think. I am alone now and I color it myself for myself and it costs very little. I rarely leave the house so it is just for me. Maybe later I will go do more things, but right now I really have nowhere to go and I prefer to be home.
    Old 07-01-2010, 09:02 PM

I started going gray at 19 (runs in my family). I am only 4' 10 1/2" ( yes, that 1/2" counts!) and I just feel I look too young, even at 57, to go gray. So at this stage of my life I'm not ready to go gray. I'll reconsider again when I hit 60.
    Old 07-01-2010, 09:07 PM

Color, what would I do without it! Been doing it since my senior year in college - 20 years or so...God I'm getting old! Never have painted either nails or toes, they just didn't turn out right and I lost the color within about 30 minutes. LOL I gave up on shaving the legs, it doesn't show much so I just quit. Just started using makeup again, my has the price gone UP!
    Old 07-01-2010, 11:27 PM

I found my first gray hair in the maternity ward on my first baby!!! I was 19!!! Ive coloured my hair ever since, both salon & home-kit, depending on money at the time! always paint my toe-nails bright colours, but my fingernails are short so usually clear or very pale pink. since ive gained weight in the last 2 years i wouldnt go braless, but will wear a 'secret support' top or t.
    oh & oil of olay every day & night!!!
    Old 07-01-2010, 11:40 PM

I've spent the last year growing out the last of my hair colour! There are many better things to be spending the guts of 100 euro every visit on, and better ways to be spending the two plus hours it took (like quilting). My eyesight doesn't allow me to go the DIY route, last time I tried I think I dyed the bathroom door more than my hair.

Makeup is for special occasions, same for nail polish.
    Old 07-02-2010, 01:03 AM

id be afraid to grow mine out, i feel too young to be stoe gray, especially with 3 little kiddies!! people would think im their grandmother, not their mother!!