Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • Do you dye your gray hair & other grooming secrets >
  • Do you dye your gray hair & other grooming secrets

• Do you dye your gray hair & other grooming secrets

Old 07-01-2010, 03:06 PM

I've been going gray since I was in my 20s. I used to color it religiously till I was about 40 or 45. Then I let the color grow out because I was curious to see if I was 100% gray yet. I wasn't but the salt and pepper wasn't too bad looking. So I quit. Now I'm 95% gray and it doesn't bother me a bit.
    I've also stopped wearing colored nail polish unless I'm going to a wedding or someplace fancy. I used to put 3 coats on every 3 nights. This while I had kids in the house. How did I find the time?
    I also wore padded bras that I padded more! Sad really....but it was either that or be called Mister. Now I'm glad that there's nothing to sag and bag...lol.
    Those are my old grooming secrets. I guess I don't have any now.
    What grooming secret are you keeping from everybody?
    Old 07-01-2010, 03:07 PM

Lady Clairol and I are very best of friends :)
    Old 07-01-2010, 03:09 PM
    Banned

Well..Icolor my hair...not myself I pay to have it done..not as much as I should but time escapes me. I used to get my nails done every two weeks religiosly..but gave that up because I didn't have time...I put make-up on everyday...jewelry and that is about it..no secrets.
    Old 07-01-2010, 03:10 PM

A have tried dying my hair a couple times, but I earned every grey hair I have so will keep them I find dyes unnatural looking, I can pick out all my friends that dye their hair and deny it. No longer do my nails either. I think we did take better care of ourselves when our kids were little!!
    Old 07-01-2010, 03:17 PM

some say that my hair is the same gray as my mothers used to be. so I have to be happy about that. never dyed it and never will. I am what I am and I am happy.
    Old 07-01-2010, 03:19 PM
    Power Poster

I have the "ugly" kind of gray so yes, we slop on lots of reddish-brown. My other grooming tip: Wear pants when not shaved. lol
    Old 07-01-2010, 03:21 PM

I'm too cheap to dye my hair....I can buy fabric with that money! Seriously, my hair doesn't take color well....doing it myself never made a difference. And as someone said, I earned every gray on my head, I'm proud of it! I used to do my nails, but I like the $$ I save by not doing them.
    Old 07-01-2010, 03:23 PM
    Power Poster

Location: Murray, Ky. Looking for a nice cushy pillow to rest my head on!

I dye my hair maybe twice a year. It has very little gray in it but it is noticable. I don't like My natural color, it is too dark for me. I don't do my nails because the polish turns my nails yellow, yuck. I gave up wearing makeup when my 16yr old was little, I didn't have time for it and now I just don't care. I figure I am already married and hubby likes me (or loves me) just the way I am so why worry about it. I always tell people I am what you see, fat and all. Nothing to hide here.
    Old 07-01-2010, 03:24 PM
    Power Poster

my hair is white now and grows fast so very difficult to color and not have the new growth show. i hate that. so no coloring for me.
    Old 07-01-2010, 03:30 PM

I had dark red hair, naturally. When I was about 38, it started to fade to a sort of ash brown, and every year it because slightly more laced with silver. I did try a couple of times, at great expense, to dye it back to it's original color. My hair rejects dye. It looks great for 2 weeks and then starts to look pink. Not a good look. So, since it's shiny and healthy and doesn't look bad- it just stays with God's highlights.

I do paint my nails. And periodically get a pedicure.

However, I mostly cut my own bangs and about 4 times a year get a real haircut. I don't choose to wear a bra around the house, but I am unfortunately insanely endowed, so going without on a day in which the public will be seen is not an option. And the girls get a little lower every year....

I only wear make-up on days when I have to be lawyerly- which is not very often. Or when I want to get dressed up for dinner or something.

I never had much vanity, and the older I get, the less value it has.