Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • do you feel women should cut their hair >
  • do you feel women should cut their hair

• do you feel women should cut their hair

Old 05-28-2011, 10:02 AM

LOL. I would not touch this with a ten foot pole! But I will follow the thread.
    Originally Posted by Hosta
    when they reach a certain age? It seems like most women over 40 have short hair. I remember my grandma had such long hair she wore in a braid down her back and one day she was leaning against the stove and it caught on fire. But did you decide its not worth the hassle after a certain age?
    Old 05-28-2011, 10:02 AM

Most women I see with long hair pull it back in a pony tail or bun, I imagine because it is easier. I have fine hair and I have tried to grow it out and it is work to make it not look stringy and I like hair around my face, it doesn't look good pulled back.I look like I'm sad or something. The last time I did let it grow, no one said anything but when I got it cut I had many people say how cute my hair looked. My husband loves it short, but I'm the one in the mirror, so I wear it to please me. If I look better, I feel better. Some women just can't let go of the long hair and some do look good with it. So basically if you are happy with what you see in the mirror, it's right for you.
    Old 05-28-2011, 10:06 AM

Thank goodness we are not all "vanilla", although there is nothing wrong with vanilla - variety is a beautiful thing![/quote]

Agree
    Old 05-28-2011, 10:13 AM

My grandmother is 92. She always wears her hair pinned up so I don't really know how long it is. I think women should wear their hair in a way that is comfortable and manageable for them. I'm 50 and my hair is long, but I would like to get it cut. I don't want it cut short, but I need to part with about 4 inches. It also needs to be thinned. My hair is very thick.
    Old 05-28-2011, 10:24 AM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by karate lady
    but I have seen older women with long stringy, very thin hair hanging down thier back and it does look extremely unattractive. They should at least contain it so it doesn't look unkkept.
    And I see younger and older women with short, stringy, dirty hair that should be taken care of.
    Old 05-28-2011, 10:52 AM

I have had my hair short for years and a year ago I decided to let it grow. I got a pleasant surprise. Its curly now!! It was always wavy but never curly. I think I'll let it grow to the middle of my back and see if I still like it. I'd love to have it long enough for a braid. I'm 54.
    Old 05-28-2011, 10:55 AM

I don't think it should go by a number (age), but what looks the best on you and you're comfortable with. Some older women look nice with longer hair, some look scraggly - depends on your face, your hair - I'm afraid that my face is beginning to "sag", so certain styles can drag my face down or visually "lift" it.
    Old 05-28-2011, 11:05 AM

Originally Posted by raedar63
    I have naturally thin hair, I always wore it long enough to pull back for many reasons such as comfort, living on a farm,riding mororcycles, working in heathcare and being old school and believing nurses need to keep hair up etc. Well I work with lots of young girls who are into style . I let them convice me to get a "CUTE MORE AGE APPROPRIATE" haircut. I loved it for a few days but now could kick myself! I will admitt it looked much better but what a pain. I am LOW MAINTENENCE and miss pulling it back.
    If I had a knockout body I would shave it off ! lol. We get caught up on what others think too much of the time. Wear it how YOU like it! :):)
    I always had long hair until chemo. Now it's short, but growing back. Everyone tells me that I looks soooo much younger with short hair. But like you, it's a horrible hassle to take care of. Mine just got long enough that I can pull it up into a tiny little bun, but at least it's out of my face and I don't have to roll it or use the dreaded curling iron. So I agree, wear it how you like it because you're the one that has to take care of it. I'm lucky, my DH loves it long, too.
    Old 05-28-2011, 11:22 AM

Originally Posted by charlotte625
    I had long hair till a month ago and cut it to suit me ...I am glad I did, But if I want my hair down to my knees..That is up to me.
    and like clothes..who should tell you what you should wear.
    I went shopping and I am size 18, so why do they want us to wear large flowers..............makes me so mad.
    so we blend into the wall paper? Who's brilliant idea was it to make clothing for large women from wide plaids,stripes and big flowers???
    Old 05-28-2011, 11:25 AM

A person hair lenght and style are their own business! If they want to sit on their own hair, so be it.

I have lived in blisteringly hot humid climates - as a young woman my husband wanted my LONG hair left long. After the torture of that, I had enough :hunf:

Cut it, and he loved it. Easy to care for, fresh looking and styled well.

Julie