Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • do you feel women should cut their hair >
  • do you feel women should cut their hair

• do you feel women should cut their hair

Old 05-27-2011, 06:59 AM
    Power Poster

if they want to..
    i think age has nothing to do with it- if you want long hair- have long hair= if you like your hair short- wear it that way-
    i don't think there should be an opinion one way or the other by others- how i wear my hair is my choice
    it is not the guy behind me at the check out's business if i havent' cut my hair in 5 years or if i have it cut monthly.
    Old 05-27-2011, 07:00 AM

I am almost 61 and not a snich of grey. I have long hair and wear it that way because of 2 things. I do reinactments and long hair is easier to put up and is authentic. Also my hair doesn't behave itself short. Sticks up, out and sideways. So long and DH loves it that way. I keep it trimmed and washed. Wear it in a french twist alot. But mostly just twist it in a clip. Short hair looks awful on me.
    Old 05-27-2011, 07:02 AM

I am nearing 60 too, & I think hair is a personal thing. Wear what works for you, & it doesn't matter what anyone else thinks. I have enough natural curl, waves, whatever, & they are flat, not fluffy, so if mine is short, it's constant upkeep, & high maintence! So, I wear in long enough to pull back with a pretty clip, then I braid a little & band the end. Works for me! Stays nice & doesn't get into food when I'm cooking, nor do I pick up much when I vacuum. I kept up with my hair for years, always fixing it, & fighting to keep it nice & pretty. No more, I can be ready to go in a flash now, & have more time to quilt & do things I enjoy. Remember this, if anyone comments on your hair... People who mind don't matter, & people who matter don't mind. Find what works for you & stick to it, no matter the length!...
    Old 05-27-2011, 07:04 AM

I think sometimes as we get older the angles of our faces change, and how our hair frames our face can have an effect. I used to have long hair but the fact is I look much nicer with it shoulder to chin length as it frames my face, and when its really long it doesn't frame it at all.

Thats why people suggest cutting your hair as you get older, because a shorter cut can flatter your face in more ways than really long hair does. Think about the people you know who look great older with long hair, chances are, they have beautiful faces and the hair simply would detract from it.

So I think its less the length thats an issue, more the way it is shaped around your face.
    Old 05-27-2011, 07:11 AM

Hair is a woman's glory and I personally (I'm low maintenance)am growing mine back out since I got such a grudge cut last summer. I'll never go back to that beautician again! It is way below my shoulders again thank goodness. I hated it shoulder length! It was a pain to keep.
    Old 05-27-2011, 07:15 AM

When I was young it was long because that is what the style was. The older I get (only 55 at this point) the thinner it seems to get. Thin hair looks better when it is short and to tell the truth I just don't take the time with it that longer hair needs. The older I get the more I realize that life is to short to spend so much time getting ready to go experience it daily.
    Old 05-27-2011, 07:19 AM

I liked it short the few times I cut it that way, but it grows back so fast. I am not one to go get my hair done, not that girly. Very low maintenance.
    I like the ability to just pull it back, loop it up or put it in a bun and get to work.
    I like braids, but never really wear them,
    Maybe when I do get older, and I take the time to pamper myself every month, I will get a short hairstyle that demands constant upkeep.
    Old 05-27-2011, 07:21 AM

My hairdresser says that when the day comes, she will let me know and I will have to cut my hair short. LOL!! YIKES! :) I think its preference tho...
    Old 05-27-2011, 07:22 AM

Originally Posted by Hosta
    when they reach a certain age? It seems like most women over 40 have short hair. I remember my grandma had such long hair she wore in a braid down her back and one day she was leaning against the stove and it caught on fire. But did you decide its not worth the hassle after a certain age?
    ..My mother liked her hair really short because it was easier to care for..Me, I like longer hair but do pull it back into a pony tail or a messy bun..
    Old 05-27-2011, 07:43 AM

Mine will never be cut.

My husband loves my long hair. As of right now it is down to the bottom of my butt. :P

When I cook or clean my hair gets put up in a clip.