Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • Do you have any vintage linens and what do you do with them? >
  • Do you have any vintage linens and what do you do with them?

• Do you have any vintage linens and what do you do with them?

Old 07-28-2012, 04:58 AM

Default Do you have any vintage linens and what do you do with them?

I have some beautiful lace, and embroidered vintage linens such as table cloths and napkins. I was wondering what others have done with theirs? My adult daugthers are not interested in them and I'd like to "do" something with them. Any suggestions?
    Old 07-28-2012, 05:20 AM
    Power Poster

i have a whole box of antique lace- and many embroidered hankies & table toppers/clothes- i incorporate these items into other projects (like using a lace edged hanky as a doily under a vase of flowers in the center of a quilt) or use pieces in crazy quilt projects. the first time i wanted to cut one of my items it took me about a week---i was so afraid i would ruin it- or regret it- or .... but it worked out great- the project is wonderful and very much loved by the recipient & means even more to her because i did add that special hanky & antique lace. may as well use them when / where you can- better than someone just tossing them later- or sending them off to goodwill....
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]351907[/ATTACH]my grandmother & my hubby's grandmother were best friends- even helped each other deliver their babies- my grandmother passed away 18 years ago- his is still with us- i made his this quilt for her 88th birthday- the hanky under the flowers as a shelf is one that belonged to my grandmother- it means so much to his grandmother! i was the only one in a huge family who wanted any of this (stuff) from my grandma- and have a box of old hanky's, lace doilies, linens---some of which i rescued from a trash bag! i've made gifts for 6 of her 8 kids (my mom, aunt's & uncles which have had pieces of grandma- along with a few cousins/ other friends/family members.
    Attached Thumbnails grandmas-center.jpg   grandmas-bouquet.jpg  
    Old 07-28-2012, 06:54 AM

I just made a pillow using an embroidered table scarf and some old chenille...part of the table scarf was damaged from use, looked like maybe some perfume or something stained it and worn a bit thin in the center. Used the end third and some scraps of old chenille bedspread. Turned out pretty nice...and it was a reasonablly priced gift.
    Old 07-28-2012, 07:22 AM
    Power Poster

My sister has used old hankies, doilies, lace etc. in collage frames along with other family heirloom items ... eyeglasses, gloves, letters, printed items, etc. The finished frames are real treasures and a nice way to preserve family items that until then were just stuffed in a drawer or box ... and in many homes would eventually end up in the garbage!
    Old 07-28-2012, 08:14 AM

I don't have old laces and such but I love to hunt at Goodwill for pieces I can use mostly in wallhangings. Here's one where I used a corner on a needlecase. I tack it down by hand in little places by just bringing the needle up from the bottom and crossing over and down again. I really like the results and love to add beads and sometimes little buttons.
    Attached Thumbnails 2012-sew-projects-108.jpg  
    Old 07-28-2012, 08:41 AM

those are very pretty. all we need is a little imagination,makes a lot of pretty things. joyce j
    Old 07-28-2012, 09:33 AM

I have used all white fancy embroidered hankies to make pretty breezy curtains for my kitchen windows.
    Old 07-28-2012, 11:22 AM

I love old linens and lace items. I look for them in particular when antiquing with a friend. I use those in good shape through out my home. Others I incorporate into quilts, crafts or clothing. My children are not interested in them either so would like to find a place to donate my special pieces to.
    Old 07-28-2012, 11:54 AM

I have seen old embroderied tablecloths used for the focus center of quilts.
    Old 07-28-2012, 11:58 AM

I use embroidered pillowcases to make dresses for dolls....