Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • Do you have champagne taste on a beer pocketbook? >
  • Do you have champagne taste on a beer pocketbook?

• Do you have champagne taste on a beer pocketbook?

Old 01-18-2011, 06:53 AM

I feel guilty if I ever pay full price for things. I love thrift stores and yard sales and making it myself. Guess growing up in the country with frugal family members made me appreciate things more. I personally think it would be good for everyone to be more thrifty. Expensive isn't always better. Do some research before you buy. In my Science classes I taught "Product Testing". The students would choose something like "What brand of paper towel absords best?" or "What brand of fishing line holds more?" and try out at least 5 samples then record their data. It was always interesting to see them realize facts instead of advertizing.
    Old 01-18-2011, 07:14 AM

KNow what I think? I think some times it is best not to buy the best or most expensive, or even the best quality. I have a SIL that buys nice looking but not expensive furniture, and she changes it about every 5 years. So her home is always clean, fresh and stylish looking. She donates the old stuff and gets a tax break. Hubs and I bought good quality, and I am so sick of looking at it 40+ years later!! But it is still too nice to replace because of wanting a change. We could, but it just seems silly.
    Old 01-18-2011, 07:26 AM

I have a real "nack" for picking out the most expensive items in the store. It sounds like I grew up on basically the same socoeconomic level as you. My husband laughs says my "nack" is because I'm a classy lady so that really makes me smile
    Old 01-18-2011, 07:31 AM

Originally Posted by Barbm
    Hubby and I were talking about redoing the kitchen. I'm trying to use the cabinets again (if possible) and we were talking about countertops. I said Corian, he said granite. Our budget says Corian- he says I want to be rich. I told him we could have granite countertops and absolutely no appliances (which is what needs replacing- repaired fridge 2 x, oven is going, dishwasher works if I prop a chair against it for pressure to make the sensors touch). Luckily the floor is beautiful and does not need replacing- a value I was glad I got 9 years ago, costly then, but cost saving now.

I am trying for champagne on generic beer pocketbook.
    If you shop around, you should be able to find some of the more common granites for about the same price as Corian, maybe even less. There are some great options out there now in pre-fab granite, and many of the granite fabricators offer very good deals on their remnants. Yes, granite can get expensive quickly if you pick one of the exotics but, overall, prices have come down quite a bit.

As for appliances, check The Great Indoors or Sears Outlet, if you have those stores nearby. I found some amazing deals on appliances there (40 - 50% off!).
    Old 01-18-2011, 07:55 AM

I'd like the new countertops made with recycled glass. Hubby says no. I want glass tile back splash, hubby says no. It took me a long time to get the idea of 2 ovens and a cook top. He says- who needs 2 ovens- I do- I bake and do every holiday meal for at least 12 to 15. At least he didn't ask what I really want- a 2000 sq, ft. addition for just a family room and dining area. :)
    Old 01-18-2011, 11:03 AM

Originally Posted by clem55
    KNow what I think? I think some times it is best not to buy the best or most expensive, or even the best quality. I have a SIL that buys nice looking but not expensive furniture, and she changes it about every 5 years. So her home is always clean, fresh and stylish looking. She donates the old stuff and gets a tax break. Hubs and I bought good quality, and I am so sick of looking at it 40+ years later!! But it is still too nice to replace because of wanting a change. We could, but it just seems silly.
    LOL, we did the same thing when we married. Bought the best that they had, 25yr warranty on the frame,2yr on the fabric.After ten yrs I was sick of it, the pattern on it hid a mess well, but the cushions slid out everytime you sat down, my taste had changed by then and the store & manufacturer had gone out of business. I did a happy dance when hubby suggested a new couch.I told Hubby that what we spent on the first one we could have bought 4, yeah 4 new sets during that time. If we had recovered it ,it would have cost us, what a new moderately price set would have been so we bought new.
    And we purchase new about every 4 yrs give or take. We have on occasion swapped with family,( Its amazing what some people consider worn out) The old gets new life at the thrift store or sometimes in our basement.
    Old 01-18-2011, 12:19 PM

I talked dh into buying a new set for our family room- 18 years with the same furniture, I wanted something new. Couldn't believe how great it felt to sit down and not sink into the floor. :)
    Old 01-18-2011, 12:25 PM

I have a "Urban Chiks" fabric taste on a "Joannes" budget ;-) .... seriously I somehow manage to afford quilt shop quailty fabric and to purchase designer fabric when I *should* be recycling old sheets and such.
    Old 01-19-2011, 06:12 AM
    Power Poster

Yup...we both have it. Its kinda like a laser- open the door of the store and off we both go directly to the highest end, most expensive area in the store without even looking left or right....depending on what it is, we may buy it, we may not. If DH is there, we usually do. I'm much cheaper....ahem...frugal than he is. :wink:
    Old 01-19-2011, 08:05 AM

Even if I hit a sale rack guaranteed I am going to grab the most expensive thing. I use to say I had champange tastes on a water pocketbook. Still do. But now I go thrift shopping.