Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • Do you have champagne taste on a beer pocketbook? >
  • Do you have champagne taste on a beer pocketbook?

• Do you have champagne taste on a beer pocketbook?

Old 01-19-2011, 01:37 PM

I do have the same problem and it is irksome. I just make do. :thumbup: :thumbup:
    Old 01-19-2011, 03:22 PM
    Power Poster

I buy the best quality of items that I know I'll have to live with for a very long time. The quality really pays for itself after many years of wear. I invested in the best wood furniture for the dining room, living room tables, book cases, etc and buy less quality decorative items like drapes, sofa, chairs, area rugs, and lamp shades. I can easily change the look of my rooms inexpensively by buying different sets of these and keeping the quality items forever. I can always find a great looking sofa and chairs pretty cheap at a furniture sale and have a new look for a year or two. I get too bored to buy expensive 'consumable' furniture.
    Old 01-19-2011, 03:24 PM

I have learned to ask myself these questions:
    1. Will it matter in 5 years
    2. Will it matter in 5 months
    3. Will it matter in 5 weeks
    4. Will it matter in 5 days
    5. Will it matter in 5 hours
    6. Will it matter in 5 minutes

Depending on how many times I answer yes. Sometimes its worth waiting for
    Old 01-19-2011, 04:30 PM

Champagne taste on a lemonade income here lol I enjoy the challenge of making do or coming up with a suitable alternative to the expensive item
    Old 01-19-2011, 07:39 PM

I am always looking for ways to save money. My SIL would brag about how much she paid for something. I would brag about how little mine cost. It amounts to the same thing....I bought my champagne at the beer barn.
    Old 01-19-2011, 10:21 PM

Why would you want less than the best? But in reality we have to buy what we can afford. I try to buy the best I can afford and that does not mean the most expensive. I always try to buy on sale. Being retired and older, I have less spendable income, and it is hard to cut back.

Ladies, on those counter tops, consider Silestone, it holds up better than Granite, you don't have to worry about stains and treating it every year. It is a quartz product and nothing can hurt it. I love it.
    Old 01-19-2011, 11:49 PM

Originally Posted by Barbm
    I'd like the new countertops made with recycled glass. Hubby says no. I want glass tile back splash, hubby says no. It took me a long time to get the idea of 2 ovens and a cook top. He says- who needs 2 ovens- I do- I bake and do every holiday meal for at least 12 to 15. At least he didn't ask what I really want- a 2000 sq, ft. addition for just a family room and dining area. :)
    Maybe you should simply tell him about the addition being what you really, really want, and he might just see that you get the new countertops instead! :thumbup: :thumbup:
    Old 01-20-2011, 11:39 AM

i wanted new cabinets when we moved into this house, but instead, i reversed the doors and painted the cabinets white. kept me going until i had the cabinets recovered and new doors made. at that time, i added more cabinets because the old floor plan was wasteful. what a difference and i never missed new cabinets. i went with old fashioned formica counter tops and now i don't feel guilty about getting new ones because the old ones are scratched. what i did spend on (on sale) was real tile floors and a lot of good-looking lighting. although i wanted a second stove i didn't want to give up cabinet space, so i had a plumber bring out gas and put one in the garage. for the few times i need it, it's fine. the fridge was brand new when we bought this house and i'm waiting for it (11 years) to drop dead so i can choose my own. i ripped out the original wallpaper and just painted the walls cobalt blue. the cabinets are true white. we changed the sink to white. i really think that if i spent the money on brand new cabinets it would have cost almost the same amount and i wouldn't have the amount of counters or cabinets that i have now. for cheap, i really like my striking blue and white kitchen.

EDIT: if i change out the white, i can have yellow and blue kitchen.
    Old 01-20-2011, 12:32 PM

I find I have this problem with cars. Now mind you I don't really care what I drive as long as it runs good. My hubby, on the other hand, keeps talking about getting me a nice little run around town car instead of us keeping his company cars when he's through with them. Well, every time I see a car I like it's either a Lexus or something equally as expensive. I will never pay that kind of price for a vehicle just to drive a few miles to work each day...

Diannia
    Old 01-20-2011, 01:19 PM

Originally Posted by clem55
    KNow what I think? I think some times it is best not to buy the best or most expensive, or even the best quality. I have a SIL that buys nice looking but not expensive furniture, and she changes it about every 5 years. So her home is always clean, fresh and stylish looking. She donates the old stuff and gets a tax break. Hubs and I bought good quality, and I am so sick of looking at it 40+ years later!! But it is still too nice to replace because of wanting a change. We could, but it just seems silly.
    You know, you could donate it, take the tax credit, and buy something new. . . . . just a thought! 8-)
    Or, have it re-upholstered, your frame is better than new!! :thumbup: