Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • Do you have this condition? >
  • Do you have this condition?

• Do you have this condition?

Old 09-15-2011, 04:35 PM

If u feel that way in am call the tech! I don't have OSA I just don't breath right! Don't stop breathing just don't breath deeP enuf!? My oxygen levels bottom out! Am on pain meds which can make worse. Almost died few yrs back when I had sinus infection. When I had my sleep study scared the poor tech when my oxygen just bottomed out! I wear oxygen when I sleep and seem to do ok. How often are u suppose to go in to be checked? Been yrs. Still feel good.
    Old 09-15-2011, 04:45 PM

I had a sleep test last year and they found that I have insomnia. I knew I would awaken 10 - 12 times per night but the electronic instruments showed that that night I awoke over 200 times. Not to full consciousness but right at that point. I still am so fatigued. They also found I have Restless Leg Syndrome with my legs jerking almost 100 times. No wonder I'm tired. BooHoo.
    Old 09-15-2011, 04:47 PM

My husband has a CPAP machine too. At first they gave him the"nose pillow".He couldn't sleep with it and was basically miserable. The tech that brought the machine wasn't much help. He insisted on the full mask and has been using(and sleeping) his machine for 4yrs. Keep at it-your health is important
    Old 09-15-2011, 08:42 PM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

Great responses, thank you all!
    I have every intention of keeping at this; in fact I LOVE sleeping with the mask/nasal pillow, and even went into the second, titrating sleep study with a bounce in my step. Could hardly wait to see the followup doc and get my machine!

I spent over 3 hours on the internet one night researching CPAP machines and got just what I'd decided on; thankfully my insurance covers it and the local supplier carried it. I was probably their most delighted-to-start client of the month!

I will be having total hip replacement in mid-October and the hospital here will not allow surgery if one has been diagnosed with OSA. I knew I had to hustle to get the followup and purchase done in time to acclimate to the CPAP before going into hospital - fortunately all down the line there has been co-operation with techs, the sleep center, and the doc. An OSA patient not using his CPAP in the hospital died here a couple years ago after self-administring pain meds. They are very strict about it now, thank God!

I did come out of anesthesia in recovery following my gall bladder surgery 6 years ago, knowing I couldn't breathe. I was totally panicked. The nurse, who was NOT visible to me at the moment, was very rude and pushed me back down on the gurney, speaking harshly to me that obviously I *could* breathe because I was talking. Maybe true, but not at all comforting to me at the time!! But then I didn't have any idea that I'd had an apnea episode, I just thought I was panicky.

Anyway, if insurance covers it, I wish many more people than do would get checked. The study is inconvenient but not much worse than sleeping in a hotel. And I KNOW the benefits will be more exciting than one can imagine right now! I can't wait. :-D

Jan in VA
    Old 09-15-2011, 09:12 PM

My husband and I both sleep with a C-Pap machine. Ours both have humidifiers on them. Keeps our throats from getting so dry. When I was tested, I stopped breathing so many times it was almost unreal. No wonder I was cranky, sleepy, depressed, and stressed out! I also use a chin strap to keep my mouth closed. Both our machines are quiet so that's not a problem. My doctor said I was his "poster child" because I have never missed a night without my machine. I even put it on to take a nap. My doctor also says another problem that can arise from not being treated for sleep apnea is damage to your heart. Stopping and starting breathing many times during the night puts a lot of stress on the heart. I'm just glad to finally get a good night's sleep. You will get used to it. We sleep with the "nose pillows" and don't have any problem. I will keep you in my prayers concerning your surgery. Debbie The Teddybear Lady
    Old 09-16-2011, 07:52 AM

I also have sleep apnea and use CPAP for about three years now, and my husband for about four. It has made a tremendous difference in my life. I'm no longer falling asleep at my desk in the middle of the day and have more energy. It did take a few weeks to get used to, but now it is no problem. I won't even take a nap without it. (I tried without a couple of weeks ago and woke up gasping!) Just give it a little time and you'll be glad you did.
    Old 09-16-2011, 09:47 PM

After you get used to it, you will have the best sleep you have had in years and wake very well rested.

best of luck Jan.