Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • Do you have family or friends that are or were in the military? >
  • Do you have family or friends that are or were in the military?

• Do you have family or friends that are or were in the military?

Old 07-05-2011, 08:30 PM

My husband was active duty Navy for 20 years.
    My oldest daughter is in the Army Reserves, and has served a year each in Iraq and Afghanistan
    My Son is Active Duty Navy, a Rescue Swimmer
    My Father in law served in the Navy for 6 years active and another 22 in Reserves.
    There are others further back.
    Old 07-06-2011, 03:26 AM
    Swap Hosts

My husband was --- cross that out -- my husband IS a Marine. Once a Marine, always a Marine. We proudly fly the Marine flag next to the American flag from the front of our house. He served during the Viet Nam war, but they kept him stateside because he did specialized computer work. It frustrated him terribly, but gave him great respect and honor for those who served there.
    Old 07-06-2011, 03:35 AM

I also have family going back to revolutionary war. More recently. 2 grandfathers army wwI, Dad Marine WWII Mom Navy WWII, brothers one Navy One Marine, and me Navy Viet Nam. Husband Navy Viet nam. Step-grandfather Career Air Force at hickum AFB at the bombing of pearl harbor. I salute all who serve and bless their families.
    Old 07-06-2011, 03:49 AM

My son is currently in the Navy stationed in Japan. He has been n the Navy for 7 years. Not sure if it is going to be a career or not. My dad was in the Air Force during WWII. Stationed in England. He was a navigator. Didn't make it a career but wished he had. My FIL was in the Nave during WWII stationed in the Pacific. God Bless them all.
    Old 07-06-2011, 03:53 AM

Retired Navy here. That is how I got to Norfolk Va and I love it so when I finally got the chance to come back here; it was a no-brainer.
    Old 07-06-2011, 03:57 AM

My Father was a career man in the Army...He was National Guard in peace time and went federal during WW2. My husband was in the Air Force during the Korean Conflict and my son served in the Navy for four years after graduating high school.
    ...and I get chills still whenever I think about the time they spent serving our country...I am so proud of them.
    My BIL also was a career man in the Army..and many uncles and cousins also gave their time to this great country.

Thanks for bringing this thread to light..it is so heartwarming to read of the many men and women who served.
    Old 07-06-2011, 04:08 AM

Great thread, Rhonda thanks for starting this. Words cannot express the gratitude toward the sacrifices made to preserve our freedom. My father served on the front lines in Italy during WWII. He is buried at Ft. Snelling National Cemetary in Minnesota. I still have his dog tags, bronze star and purple heart, along with his army hat...they are precious to me!
    Old 07-06-2011, 04:42 AM

My husband did 36 years Australian Special Forces , we served all over the world , Had 3 1/2 years in the USA , we travelled from top to the bottom of the country . We moved house 22 times ,, 3 times in one year , taught my children "home school" when we were living in Jersulem ,I miss the life so much , he has been retired 10 years and was has worked non stop for vetrans since then , and was award an Medal by the Australian government for his work in helping young widows for our fallen soldiers serving now.
    Yes I am VERY proud of him.
    Old 07-06-2011, 04:49 AM

My dad was a fighter pilot with the RCAF/RAF during WWII.

He was the only one of his generation to serve as his older brothers were married and had dependants at the time. But in the generation before there were several, including his aunt who was a battlefield nurse in WWI and an uncle who was a doctor. Another uncle was a member of the Royal Newfoundland Regiment 1st 500 and fought at Sulva during WWI. There were several more, including a WWI pilot.

My cousin is married to a US Army Colonel, now retired, who was overseas in WWII and also was in Viet Nam. Her oldest son flew Hughies in Viet Nam and his oldest son served in Iraq.
    Old 07-06-2011, 04:49 AM

My son-in-law is a Lt Col in the Army, husband is a former Marine (Viet Nam), brother and uncle are retired from the Airforce and nephew is a retired Navy Captain.