Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • Do you have family or friends that are or were in the military? >
  • Do you have family or friends that are or were in the military?

• Do you have family or friends that are or were in the military?

Old 07-06-2011, 04:52 AM

Originally Posted by fabricfairy
    My husband did 36 years Australian Special Forces , we served all over the world , Had 3 1/2 years in the USA , we travelled from top to the bottom of the country . We moved house 22 times ,, 3 times in one year , taught my children "home school" when we were living in Jersulem ,I miss the life so much , he has been retired 10 years and was has worked non stop for vetrans since then , and was award an Medal by the Australian government for his work in helping young widows for our fallen soldiers serving now.
    Yes I am VERY proud of him.
    As well you might...no matter what country, all GIs should be honored.

As I wrote before about my service family...I did not mention that both my Dad and BIL are buried at Arlington National Cemetary. What a sight that is when one gets the opportunity to visit and honor our dead.
    Old 07-06-2011, 04:59 AM
    Power Poster

My daughter served 20 years in the Air Force. Her father was in the Navy as was one of her uncles. A great uncle of hers was a Marine.
    Old 07-06-2011, 05:07 AM

My hubby was in the USMC and was also in Nam and returned to be treated horribly.

My nephew is in the Army . he parachuted in Iraq day one of the war, also was in Afganstain, and is again in Iraq again Now. He's been treated wonderfully which is so so great. Times sure have changed.

I am very very proud of both of them and every service person no matter where they served and when
    Old 07-06-2011, 05:22 AM

Both my Dads,all my male cousins,several uncles,my DH,his bro,my bro & now a Grson.Dad was injured & needed surgery when he was in 2nd WW.Others came thru ok.
    It's always been a big part of our lives.
    Old 07-06-2011, 05:33 AM

My DH was in the Marines, Oldest son was in the Navy, 2nd son was in the Army his son is now in the Navy for 16 yrs, is a Chief at Jacksonville FL, and my granddaughters husband is in the Army for 17 yrs. Very proud of all of them .And we fly the flag !!!!
    Old 07-06-2011, 05:40 AM

Location: Ohio, the land of 4 seasons. sometimes all in the same week!

dad and brothers were all Navy., my son in law is Army. he will deploy again within 40 days. left home for Iraq when oldest was 10 days. his departure this time is going to be tougher on the oldest boy at 3 1/2 yrs with another lil one at 5 months. This time he will serve in Afghanistan.
    Old 07-06-2011, 05:52 AM

My family has had the honor of serving the greatest country in the world, fighting for our freedoms and wonderful way of life.

Uncle-Army-World War II, serving on several war fronts, awarded the bronze star and silver star(So proud)

Husband-Army-during Viet Nam war.

Son-my hero, Army, currently serving 22nd year, having served in Kuwait, Bosnia(twice), Germany, Qatar and now finally home to the USA serving in Maryland.

GOD BLESS OUR MILITARY AND THE USA!!!!!!
    Old 07-06-2011, 06:13 AM

Hi all! My family has served our country for over 200 yrs..most recently all of my dads(I have 3) have served in the us navy..all of my cousins r serving either army or navy...my brother in law gave his life in Iraq 8 yrs ago...my grandfathwr was considered awar hero in WWII, saved 200 men who were on a sinking ship he swam many miles to get help...my husbands family has also served for 200 yrs.
    Old 07-06-2011, 06:18 AM

My dad served in the Navy during WWII, my FIL in the army at the same time... and I've always been so proud of their service.

Now, it is former students who are service members, men and women, and I pray for them and their fellow soldiers every day!

I'm so thankful for the service they've given to their country on our behalf...
    Old 07-06-2011, 06:31 AM

My Uncle Bud was a Japanese POW; second husband in Nam, several in-laws, other uncles, sister, daughter, 2 sons, 1 granddaughter, 2 grandsons and many friends. I appreciate their service to our nation and concolences to the families of all who have lost loved ones.
    Charlie