Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • Do you have a steam mop...do you like it or not? >
  • Do you have a steam mop...do you like it or not?

• Do you have a steam mop...do you like it or not?

Old 08-03-2010, 11:26 PM

I have the shark steam mop and wouldn't be without it. With my various illnessess I can not mop or vacumn sweeping is a real chore, however with the shark I am able to keep my floors done and not land in bed from the exsertion. I also have the hand help one but for some reason not to happy with that one it is also a shark but I did purchase from goodwill it appeared to be new but maybe it was defective or something
    Old 08-04-2010, 05:13 AM

I bough a Shark for my laminate floors and all it did was streak them horribly. So I bought distilled water and tried it with the same results. So needless to say I got my 100.00 back when I returned it as I can streak them just as well with a sponge mop. LOL I would love to know how to get them clean and streak free. They are a good grade of Pergo. The distilled water was the only good results from all this. My clothes iron so much nicer with it in my iron.
    Old 08-04-2010, 05:22 AM
    Power Poster

I want one after seeing your post!
    My wimpy yellow lab is terrified of my Swiffter, so I dont know about a Steam mop though!
    Old 08-04-2010, 05:25 AM

Were you using some kind of cleaning or wax product prior to purchasing the Shark? The Shark is just using water, so there should not be anything to leave streaks. I was concerned when I 1st got my Shark, but I found that the 1st few uses was cleaning old residue off my hard wood floor. They look almost brand new now & they were installed in 1884.

Originally Posted by noahscats7
    I bough a Shark for my laminate floors and all it did was streak them horribly. So I bought distilled water and tried it with the same results. So needless to say I got my 100.00 back when I returned it as I can streak them just as well with a sponge mop. LOL I would love to know how to get them clean and streak free. They are a good grade of Pergo. The distilled water was the only good results from all this. My clothes iron so much nicer with it in my iron.
    Old 08-04-2010, 07:11 AM

Originally Posted by donnajean
    Were you using some kind of cleaning or wax product prior to purchasing the Shark? The Shark is just using water, so there should not be anything to leave streaks. I was concerned when I 1st got my Shark, but I found that the 1st few uses was cleaning old residue off my hard wood floor. They look almost brand new now & they were installed in 1884.

My floors were installed in Nov.'09 and the only things used on them has been water, water w/ alcohol and water w/ vinegar. Everything I have tried has left water streaks. If I get on my hands and knees and towel dry them they are fine but I'm not that commited.
    Old 08-04-2010, 07:50 AM

I think I would contact the manufacturer of your floor as it sounds like you are following their instructions. I had Pella windows installed in 2008 & I'm only alowed to use vinegar & water to clean the windows. I like just using the steam on the floors as it avoids chemicals. I purchased extra mop heads so that I can save up a couple before I wash them in washing machine. You can't use fabric softener on the mop heads.

I have had less sinus issues since I stopped using commercial cleaners.

Originally Posted by donnajean

My floors were installed in Nov.'09 and the only things used on them has been water, water w/ alcohol and water w/ vinegar. Everything I have tried has left water streaks. If I get on my hands and knees and towel dry them they are fine but I'm not that commited.
    Old 08-04-2010, 08:53 AM

I have wanted a steam cleaner for ages. I am so glad this subject came up. Question: Do you have to vacuum or sweep the floor before you steam clean? My problem is fine puppy fur from shedding pup. And of course a little grass, a little dirt, and a little mud. Can you just whip out the steam cleaner, or do you have to actually sweep/dust the floors first?

And Carpets? What happens to the dirt in the traffic areas? Does that pad pick everything up?

Sorry to sound so strange, but I want one so bad I am ready to change my clothes and go to Sam's. Or Walmart.
    Old 08-04-2010, 09:01 AM

If you don't vacuum up the loose items on the floor, your microfiber mop head will be dirty real fast. You may have to take it off & rinse it out a few times before you complete the floor cleaning. I'm always amazed at what the mop picks up even after I have vacuumed.

Originally Posted by 3flowers
    I have wanted a steam cleaner for ages. I am so glad this subject came up. Question: Do you have to vacuum or sweep the floor before you steam clean? My problem is fine puppy fur from shedding pup. And of course a little grass, a little dirt, and a little mud. Can you just whip out the steam cleaner, or do you have to actually sweep/dust the floors first?

And Carpets? What happens to the dirt in the traffic areas? Does that pad pick everything up?

Sorry to sound so strange, but I want one so bad I am ready to change my clothes and go to Sam's. Or Walmart.
    Old 08-04-2010, 09:08 AM

Thank you for your reply, donnajean. I am going out soon to find the best price I can.
    Old 08-04-2010, 09:57 AM

I've turned 3 neighbors onto the Shark steam mop. In my area, BedBath&Beyond with 20% coupon is the cheapest. They are also very good about returns if anything should go wrong or you just really don't like it.

Originally Posted by 3flowers
    Thank you for your reply, donnajean. I am going out soon to find the best price I can.