Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • Do you have your wisdom teeth? >
  • Do you have your wisdom teeth?

• Do you have your wisdom teeth?

Old 03-31-2011, 09:15 AM

I had mine out in my teens because my mouth, a surprise to some :-) , wasn't big enough.

Certainly, I'm not an expert, but isn't there some inherent risk in removing teeth such as nerve damage? Having had a cavity in almost every tooth, despite good dental hygiene, I know the mouth can be a tricky place when it comes to doing dental repairs.

As everyone has said, "if it ain't broken, don't fix it!"
    Old 03-31-2011, 09:24 AM

Well, mine were of the impacted variety and came out when I was 16. My mother is 68 and just had to have them removed and she had a terrible time with the surgery. So, I would probably get a second opinion from another dentist ... it might very well be better to have them done while he is younger, healthier and able to bounce back from the extraction faster.
    Old 03-31-2011, 09:26 AM

Originally Posted by lindyline
    If you have all your wisdom teeth, and they're fully erupted, and not angled, then in my opinion,there's really no reason to have them out, other than to help your dentist with his/her next car repayment. Unless there's another underlying factor we don't know about.
    That's my feeling too! Since we pay $300/tooth, and I know the insurance pays a lot more. I think when my mom worked for the oral surgeon, it was $1000/tooth. So, yeah, $4K into the dentist's pocket (well, not quite, but still! )

No underlying factor, as far as I can tell. Dentist just says they will be a problem someday (but has no justification for it... whereas when mine were coming in sideways, they would be a problem because they would push the other teeth - okay that makes sense), but just this vague "someday....." argument
    Old 03-31-2011, 09:29 AM

Originally Posted by dixiebelle162002
    I love this old saying "If it isn't broken don't fix it." The only suggestion I would make is carefully brushing and flossing, because they are so difficult to get to.... which probably leads to more cavities etc.
    Right, and we're watching out for those. DH does his best to brush and floss those teeth properly. He says he has a little bit of trouble getting behind them, but not where he can't reach them. And if it gets to the point where he can't brush them, then we're planning to have them go.
    Old 03-31-2011, 10:17 AM

My wisdom teeth were taken out because they impacted.

My dad told me the dentist wanted to put braces on my teeth. He (dentist) did admit that there was nothing wrong with my "bite" so my dad refused to allow braces.

if there's nothing with the "wizzies", leave them alone. Tell Dr. Doogie to settle down & get some more experience first.
    Old 03-31-2011, 10:21 AM

The same dentist who told my mom that I had to have all four of my wisdom teeth out at 18 even thought they weren't bothering me also pulled two of my teeth at 14 because my parents didn't want to spend money on fillings. You can guess that they wouldn't spend money on that either. They never bothered me so I left them. I eventually got a filling in one of them. The space left by the extracted teeth was eventually closed by the wisdom teeth, so they actually did me some good. I still have three of them at 56, the one with the cavity eventually had to go.
    Old 03-31-2011, 10:22 AM

I still have mine, and get lectured every 6 months for a cleaning to have them out. They don't bother me. They are impacted, but they arn't causing any problems. I just don't see the point in putting my self in unneccesary pain. I just keep getting told they "need" to come out. Why?
    Old 03-31-2011, 10:53 AM

maybe the dentist needs extra money for an exotic vacation?
    Old 03-31-2011, 11:04 AM

I am 48 and still have mine. My dentist told me they should come out because they were too hard to clean. I told him my toothbrush has a long handle and I have no problem with them. I will keep them as long as they don't bother me.
    Old 03-31-2011, 11:13 AM

Mine were growing in straight too. I still have the x-rays, but he kept telling me that they have to be taken out. I did, now I have sensitive teeth and the dental surgeon said that wasn't his fault. I was so mad because my teeth were never sensitive before the surgery!