Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • Do you keep ALL of your magazines? >
  • Do you keep ALL of your magazines?

• Do you keep ALL of your magazines?

Old 08-18-2011, 06:52 AM

I donated mine to the federal prison. They have quilt classes for the guys and they were pleased to get them. I had quite a stash.
    Old 08-18-2011, 10:15 AM

I had hundreds of magazines stored up so from several years of subscriptions. I teach beginning quilting, so last year at each lesson I took as many issues as I could carry and passed them out to the students. I was able to eliminate nearly 200 copies. Made more room for fabric on the shelves. I paged through each one and before hand and took a page here or there, but the students got the remainder.
    Old 08-18-2011, 10:38 AM

I really like my magazines too. I have a lot of them and I spend down time going through them. Like you, my tastes do change so what I see one time I may do at a later date. I have been thinking about getting them sorted out and giving some away. I spend my time on sewing or here on the board and forget about other things I should do. LOL

[I keep every issue! I have subscribed to several for between 6-10 years - currently subscribe to 7! It is my one weakness. When I started quilting I was living overseas and was on my own (quilting-wise), so magazines were how I learned. Over the years, I have thumbed thru them over and over and always found patterns that previously I didn't think I could do-plus my tastes changed over the years and quilts I previously loved, I am not so much interested in now, and visa-versa. I get ideas about colors-quilting motifs-most have tuts that I have tagged-I would say I am a quilt magazine horder!![/quote]
    Old 08-18-2011, 11:02 AM
    Power Poster

Sadly, yes! I can't bear to part with any of them. I have turned down corners on each one and when I am looking for a new quilt to make I thumb through some of them.....need to clear out space for future ones though. Thanks to all that post wonderful pattern sites I have too many patterns saved on the computer now. I am so addicted!!! Did I hear "Hello my name is?" :lol:
    Old 08-18-2011, 11:17 AM

I have notebooks and I tear out the pictures and patterns that I want and put them in the notebook. Mags that I don't tear up I take to our quilt show and let people have them
    Old 08-18-2011, 12:46 PM

Yes, but do you think I`ll find what I need?
    Old 08-18-2011, 02:03 PM

Before, I used to just rip out what I wanted and throw the rest. However, I found I still wasn't making many quilts from magazines. So, now, I keep my mags for about 2 years and then sell, trade or gift, sometimes keeping one or two mags from each year. Right now, I'm making 2 kitty cat wallhangings and an HST quilt from magazines. Once done with the tops, both magazines will be sold, traded or gifted. I just keep too much stuff and really need to downsize to stop feeling overwhelmed by my hobbies.

Honestly, with the cost of the newsstand prices, subscriptions are so much cheaper and give you plenty of reading material.
    Old 08-18-2011, 02:55 PM

Some of them, Quilting Art and American Quilter I keep for future reference, the rest that I accumulate I take out what I think I want and then pass the remainder on to other quilters. Everyone in our group does the same thing.
    Old 08-18-2011, 02:59 PM

I have kept all my quilting books. About a year ago I cancelled all my subsciptions, could not afford them anymore. I do miss them.
    Old 08-18-2011, 04:05 PM

I have them all and don't tear them apart...I can't bare to do it...