Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • Do you know people that have no idea about email/internet/? >
  • Do you know people that have no idea about email/internet/?

• Do you know people that have no idea about email/internet/?

Old 02-08-2011, 03:45 PM

I prefer Enail but my daughter prefers a more personal touch. She uses the phone. My second and third daughters use FB.
    Old 02-08-2011, 04:18 PM

Originally Posted by lynnie
    i don't have a computer, and i want one, i have to go three towns over to go to the library to use theirs. it's frustrating. then you have to pay for service, and i just found out last night,m you have to buy anti virus stuff too. will it never end???
    Nope it never ends. Just like owning a vehicle you have to hope if you buy used that you don't have too many repairs. Even if you buy new it they have to be upgraded all the time. Constant maintenence and anti virus protection is like insurance for the computer and things still happen. It is not a cheap item to own.
    Old 02-08-2011, 04:35 PM

Originally Posted by missgigglewings
    I have had and used a computer since 1995. I am now 64 years old and my friends and family call me when something goes wrong with theirs. I can download and back up their data, erase their hard drive, re-install factory defaults, and up-load their data to an almost new computer. I have never had a class in my life, but just like a new quilting pattern.... you choose what you want to learn to do, then learn to do it! Its all up to you!

I have a desk top, lap top, a PDA and a smart phone. And I use them all!
    I have had a computer since before windows LOL but I will be the first to admit that there are times it just doesn't stick in my brain! I swear it feels like I have to keep re-learning programs, I do not have this problem in any other area except that I cannot memorize music, I have played the same piano music for years and years yet I cannot memorize it, Lord knows I've tried..must be a glitch in my hard wiring! I love my computer..spend way too much time at this site LOL but my husband is not interested in the least. Just remember, this country was built by people who did not use the internet and one day we all will be older and something new will come along and we just won't be able to understand what it's all about. So give the older folks a break...they'll appreciate it and consider it charcter building. LOL
    Old 02-08-2011, 05:42 PM

[quote=BellaBoo]..... everything is sent by email. I have no patience with them and it's not like they don't have the means to have computer/internet. quote]

Well BellaBoo, this surprises me. Perhaps a little more compassion would be in order. Maybe it could be suggested that a buddy system be set up so that the "non-computer" members could be notified by their buddies. Sometimes it takes a while for some to warm up to change. I'm still struggling with the cell phone and the computer. Thanks to all the members on this board who have been patient with me. One of these days I'll be using the digital camera, etc. I may even warm up to purchasing at long arm.
    Old 02-08-2011, 06:24 PM

Originally Posted by Lisa_wanna_b_quilter
    I teach computer classes at our local library. It's so odd the different types of people you get. We have people in their 40's who have never used it but now must because that's how you sign up for unemployment in our county. We have people in their 70's that want to get pictures of grandkids far away.

It seems to be a mind set not an age. Some learn. Some don't. Some seem honestly frightened of it.

I wonder what "new" thing will come along and freak my generation out when we are older?
    I love my computer...
    but when I got my first microwave, I used to put stuff in,
    turn it on, and run out the door!
    I was afraid it would blow up! really!
    LOL now.
    Often, if somebody who uses the computer will take time to teach another quilter how, and help her get a used computer, like help with quilting...one more happy quilter can enjoyed the board like we do!
    Old 02-08-2011, 07:03 PM

[quote=GailG]
    Originally Posted by BellaBoo
    ..... everything is sent by email. I have no patience with them and it's not like they don't have the means to have computer/internet. quote]

Well BellaBoo, this surprises me. Perhaps a little more compassion would be in order. Maybe it could be suggested that a buddy system be set up so that the "non-computer" members could be notified by their buddies. Sometimes it takes a while for some to warm up to change. I'm still struggling with the cell phone and the computer. Thanks to all the members on this board who have been patient with me. One of these days I'll be using the digital camera, etc. I may even warm up to purchasing at long arm.
    Don't wait to try a digital camera! I never used to take photos because I hated to fool with the film, focus, lighting, etc. Now I photograph everything and with the Picasa software can even make the bad shots look decent. Nowadays any idiot can be a photographer, me for example!
    Old 02-08-2011, 08:15 PM

[quote=ljorange]
    Originally Posted by GailG
    Originally Posted by BellaBoo
    ..... everything is sent by email. I have no patience with them and it's not like they don't have the means to have computer/internet. quote]

Don't wait to try a digital camera! I never used to take photos because I hated to fool with the film, focus, lighting, etc. Now I photograph everything and with the Picasa software can even make the bad shots look decent. Nowadays any idiot can be a photographer, me for example!
    I agree, get a digital camera, I wish I would have done it when I first thought about it. I use to have pictures on the film in my camera for over a year....no kidding!!
    With digital I download regularly so I can see them on the monitor! I did wait for the one I wanted to go on sale as money is always an issue!
    Old 02-08-2011, 10:18 PM

The only reason I have a computer is daughter thought I needed one. I really had no desire. Lived over 50 years without one. I could care less abt a cell phone. I think if you grow up with these things in school they become apart of your life in future years. Look at the time many spend in front of a computer instead of things they maybe should be doing. Guess really it is preference. I think a phone call or little note in the mail is nice. Everyone loves to receive a card... :) Many of us older folks just are not like the younger generation. Wonder why the younger generation is not more like us? (((( hugs all )))))
    Old 02-08-2011, 10:21 PM

I want to add this is off subject but cute. My granny cooked on a wood stove most her whole life, when her daughter bought her a electric she refused to use it. Instead went ont on the back porch and did her cooking lol. Then my aunt bought her a electric sewing machine, granny said now you can just take that thing back. She used a thredle (sp) and no one was going to change her mind. :)
    Old 02-08-2011, 10:40 PM

I just love my internet and go through withdrawal during power failures.

But my mother and sister have NO interest in it at all, or in fact, any need for it. Neither of them owns a mobile (cell) phone or has a drivers licence either.

My sister works full time and commutes on public transport.