Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • Do you know people that have no idea about email/internet/? >
  • Do you know people that have no idea about email/internet/?

• Do you know people that have no idea about email/internet/?

Old 02-08-2011, 10:57 PM

Originally Posted by cheryl rearick
    I want to add this is off subject but cute. My granny cooked on a wood stove most her whole life, when her daughter bought her a electric she refused to use it. Instead went ont on the back porch and did her cooking lol. Then my aunt bought her a electric sewing machine, granny said now you can just take that thing back. She used a thredle (sp) and no one was going to change her mind. :)
    My grandma refused to get an automatic washer and dryer, used a wringer washer and hung clothes out (in cold winter in Montana!) until she died in 1962. One of the first things Grandpa bought after she died was an automatic washer & dryer.
    Old 02-09-2011, 02:33 AM

[quote=Kappy]
    Originally Posted by ljorange
    Originally Posted by GailG
    Originally Posted by BellaBoo
    ..... everything is sent by email. I have no patience with them and it's not like they don't have the means to have computer/internet. quote]

Well BellaBoo, this surprises me. Perhaps a little more compassion would be in order. Maybe it could be suggested that a buddy system be set up so that the "non-computer" members could be notified by their buddies. Sometimes it takes a while for some to warm up to change. I'm still struggling with the cell phone and the computer. Thanks to all the members on this board who have been patient with me. One of these days I'll be using the digital camera, etc. I may even warm up to purchasing at long arm.
    Don't wait to try a digital camera! I never used to take photos because I hated to fool with the film, focus, lighting, etc. Now I photograph everything and with the Picasa software can even make the bad shots look decent. Nowadays any idiot can be a photographer, me for example!
    I agree, get a digital camera, I wish I would have done it when I first thought about it. I use to have pictures on the film in my camera for over a year....no kidding!!
    With digital I download regularly so I can see them on the monitor! I did wait for the one I wanted to go on sale as money is always an issue!
    Thanks ljorange and Kappy. I do have a digital camera. DH gave it to me several Christmasses ago. I snapped pictures until I had over 80 pictures in there. Tried loading it into the computer with no success (Let me remind you that I am REALLY a duck when it comes to the comptuer -- I've even had classes, but they went too fast for me).Finally my son -in-law loaded the pictures into the computer. I was just learning to post pictures (I actually sent some to this board). [Before this my daughter would send me a picture by email and I would email it to another member and she would post it for me.] Then the old computer died and we replaced it with a new computer. I was told that everything we had in the old one was "sent" to the new one. Well, I'm yet to find th pictures. My attempt to reload the pictures has not been sucessful.
    And to make matters worse, I'm having problems with my camera now. I tell you, I'm a duck when it comes to this computer and my camera. Thank goodness I know my sewing machine.

And to add to the drama I have a printer that scans. I could be scanning pictures I've taken with my little disposable cameras but I can't seem to manage the scanner either. QUACK, QUACK.
    I'm just not "digitally inclined." I love seeing all of your pictures; please keep sending them. One of these days the light will go on and I may be able to do the same.

:lol:
    Old 02-09-2011, 02:41 AM

Originally Posted by cheryl rearick
    I want to add this is off subject but cute. My granny cooked on a wood stove most her whole life, when her daughter bought her a electric she refused to use it. Instead went ont on the back porch and did her cooking lol. Then my aunt bought her a electric sewing machine, granny said now you can just take that thing back. She used a thredle (sp) and no one was going to change her mind. :)
    Oh I must respond to this one. My grandmother had a woodburning stove in her kithen, too. In the fifties, her children bought her a new Tappan gas range. Well, she would not hear of removing that old stove. So they installed the Tappan next to the old stove. She did finally begin using the new one to boil water to make her "drip" coffee. She fired up the old wood stove for all of her cooking and baking. I loved biscuits and sugar cookies from that old stove.
    Old 02-09-2011, 08:49 AM

My computer is the pits to try to download pictures, it's suppose to mind you, but it's a pain. My scanner has a scan disk slot and I do it via my scanner. Works like a charm. You can take you SD card to someplace like Walmart or Walgreens and use thier picture kiosk and print you pictures. I did that a lot before I bought the printer I now have. The people at Walmart were very patient with me....several times...before I got the hang of it. But I too am a real duck when it comes to the newer cell phones, they blow me away, I can't for the life of me figure them out. I have a very basic tracfone for emergency use, other than that it's the good old land line! Can you hear me now??? LOL
    Old 02-09-2011, 10:46 AM
    Banned

I know very many who have no internet -BY CHOICE, that is their decision,they are happy without as is a friend of 59 who has NEVER had a tv and never wants one.
    To each their own.
    Old 02-09-2011, 01:42 PM

Originally Posted by Kappy
    My computer is the pits to try to download pictures, it's suppose to mind you, but it's a pain. My scanner has a scan disk slot and I do it via my scanner. Works like a charm. You can take you SD card to someplace like Walmart or Walgreens and use thier picture kiosk and print you pictures. I did that a lot before I bought the printer I now have. The people at Walmart were very patient with me....several times...before I got the hang of it. But I too am a real duck when it comes to the newer cell phones, they blow me away, I can't for the life of me figure them out. I have a very basic tracfone for emergency use, other than that it's the good old land line! Can you hear me now??? LOL

I hear ya!

:lol:
    Old 05-23-2011, 01:27 PM

Yes, I have a computer and laptop(both gift from husband because he thought I need them) Laptop has not been used in the last 2 years. I am verrrrrrrrrry shy when it comes to using eletrontic. I remember my mother telling me be kind to old folk, because you will be old some day.