Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • Do you know people that have no idea about email/internet/? >
  • Do you know people that have no idea about email/internet/?

• Do you know people that have no idea about email/internet/?

Old 02-07-2011, 09:50 AM

Yes, but I also understand about drawing the line somewhere. I love email and internet, and I keep a blog. But I refuse all things Facebook and Twitter. There are only so many hours in a day (or in one's life, for that matter) and I don't want to spend all of mine with electronic media. So I know I have at least one friend who thinks I'm terribly behind the times.
    Old 02-07-2011, 10:05 AM

Many years ago I was taking an advanced course in programing. I got through the first lesson and left. Back for the second lesson and one lady asked, How do you turn this thing on again. I left. Not as advanced as I thought! I have taught a lot of computer classes, implementing new systems. Some people just should not be allowed near a computer and they were not "old". My family is unhappy with me because I will not join Facebook. Has nothing to do with age, just cautious.
    Old 02-07-2011, 10:21 AM
    Power Poster

i don't have a computer, and i want one, i have to go three towns over to go to the library to use theirs. it's frustrating. then you have to pay for service, and i just found out last night,m you have to buy anti virus stuff too. will it never end???
    Old 02-07-2011, 10:56 AM

Originally Posted by BellaBoo
    We have a few guild members that don't have a computer and are proud to say they don't want one. Then they complain they are left out of guild's circle because everything is sent by email. I have no patience with them and it's not like they don't have the means to have computer/internet. They think it's silly or say their DH won't let them have one. :roll: Do you think people should be catered to if they reject something as basic as email?
    This shouts of people who are afraid to learn. Afraid to admit they don't know something and/or afraid of failure.
    Old 02-07-2011, 11:54 AM

My mom loves her. My MIL thinks boogers will come into her home if she gets it. She doesn't have a clue.
    Old 02-07-2011, 12:05 PM

If it weren't for a dear friend who bought me a laptop and pays for the internet I wouldn't have access to the out side world. I had time to read and sew more before I got my computer...LOL

These ladies are finacially secure but choose not to be in the in crowd. To them the old way works for them so why change it. To print out a few announcements for them and mail or deliver doesn't seem to be that big an issue, to your guilds budget.
    Old 02-07-2011, 12:12 PM

I will not cater to folks who refuse to enter the 21st century any longer. I-Pads, I-Pods, etc. okay, cell phones that wash your dishes okay, an app to do what a normal person can do on the phone or the computer okay; all of these are not necessary. But email is here to stay, it is a good thing when used properly and it serves a purpose.

My DH has a golf buddy who will not use the AC in his Blazer because it uses more gasoline, did not get a push button phone until three years ago and washes his soiled blue jeans in a bucket with a brush.
    Old 02-07-2011, 12:14 PM

I'm not going to take a position on whether everyone SHOULD be on email or the internet but we are approaching critical mass as a society that most people either have access at home or can use it at work or the local library. I'm not sure it's realistic to expect that people will accommodate you when you don't want to go along with the majority. For a while, yes, but not forever.
    Old 02-07-2011, 02:00 PM

Originally Posted by kathome
    Originally Posted by BellaBoo
    We have a few guild members that don't have a computer and are proud to say they don't want one. Then they complain they are left out of guild's circle because everything is sent by email. I have no patience with them and it's not like they don't have the means to have computer/internet. They think it's silly or say their DH won't let them have one. :roll: Do you think people should be catered to if they reject something as basic as email?
    This shouts of people who are afraid to learn. Afraid to admit they don't know something and/or afraid of failure.
    I disagree... Been there done that!!!! I also have cell phone but don't want to text am I afraid Nada.. would rather hear peoples voices.. If you have not grown up with the computer it may seem so strange,like it did to me and you feel so dumb because you don't know abt. it. your opinion is rather strong but it is your oppinion. What if the people just can't afford to get a computer,pay for the dsl or dialup? and just don't want to admit in public that they can't afford it. I do use email sometimes. Do get on facebook to keep up with my DDs and grnds. but don't stay on but a few min. would rather sew or talk on phone or even get on this board. So what is wrong with just calling someone, Afraid to pick up the phone and talk???? How long does a phone call take, it can be coded in,fast dial. But a computer has to be booted up get on line ETC. and if you don't have DSL or broad Band of some kind Dial up takes forever had that too. Before I got cable in FL. then DSL here in GA. :lol: :lol: :lol: My OPINION :thumbup: :thumbup: OH My what a can of worms!!! :lol:
    Old 02-07-2011, 03:11 PM

I'm 61 yrs.m young...I never want to get so old that I'm afraid to try something that may make my life easier...I have an extreme hearing loss, even with hearing aids in both ears, so communicating via the internet is a great help to me...