Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • Do you know people that have no idea about email/internet/? >
  • Do you know people that have no idea about email/internet/?

• Do you know people that have no idea about email/internet/?

Old 02-07-2011, 03:33 PM

Guess I'm a minority here... We gave my Dad (now 81)our old computer several years ago because he kept falling asleep several times a day and was repeating the same stories over and over. He lives alone and we were afraid he was loosing touch.

We removed any and all traces of internet hookups and told him it wouldn't ever work for that. We know he is too trusting of what might be sent to him and did not want to take the chance of him being swindled by some scam or sweepstakes offers.

We did load it up with all types of card games, board games and word games, microsoft office and a few other things like world book and such.

He now spends hours each day on the computer playing checkers, cards and looking up different things in the world book. He quit repeating himself and taking naps within a few days and my sister and I both agree he is sharper than ever.

We don't want him to have the internet. We print off pictures to give to him and talk to him at least once (usually more) times a day. He wouldn't be able to afford the monthly fees and the convience doesn't outweigh the dangers we think he could come into.

Maybe we're old fashioned for wanting to protect him but that's okay too. IMHO
    Old 02-07-2011, 04:49 PM

my sister, who's 1.5 yrs YOUNGER than me refuses to get internet! Not only does she quilt, she does genealogy. Of all my sibs(6) she would probably benefit the most! TOO CHEAP!!-but not above using everyone elses'! She has a computer& printer, & EQ
    Old 02-07-2011, 04:53 PM

Many of my older friends can no longer see well enough to use a computer. Where is the compassion? Movement of figures on screen also cause small seizures in some people. Surely the use of a computer or email is not a requirement to enjoy our society.
    Old 02-07-2011, 05:01 PM
    Power Poster

My mom refuses to get a computer. She is desperately holding on to the old ways (which - if those were really good ways, I could see it). She is trying to blackmail me into doing things her way. Well, that goes both ways coz I won't.

I understand that many things are handled on facebook. That is something I have no interest in and I realize that I cannot play along on anything "facebook" - it is a decision I made and live with.

As for an organization's communication, I think that common information needs to be made available for all the members. If that means sending a flyer by mail. Some members may not be able to afford the technology.
    Old 02-07-2011, 05:33 PM

Originally Posted by Missysgottohelp
    Yes, I have a DH like that. He has NO desire to have a email or a cell phone. He wants to talk to people at home not in public and he wants a letter or some kind of paper in his hands. He only uses a computer at work to clock in and out and to look up parts but other than that he doesn't want to use one at all. Everyone just thinks the world revolves around the internet but I know alot of people who do not have a computer, the internet or cell phones. I enjoy the internet and my computer but I also understand where these ladies are coming from. Alot of people are not comfortable with the internet and do not feel it is secure. I know there are things that I do not feel secure about on here and I spend alot of time on here. And I don't think it would be such a inconvience to make a few calls or whatever was needed to make them feel welcome and included.
    As much as I enjoy using my computer/internet and the convenience of a cell phone I can understand how some people feel. Not everyone thinks these things are a necessary part of life, atleast not their life, and they feel some things shouldn't change. No one is going to stop progress. Progress is good but there will always be people that fight it.
    There have been some good suggestions as to how to get info to those people. It might take more effort on the part of some but everyone will benefit from it.
    Old 02-07-2011, 06:00 PM

I have worked for bosses who still have no idea about the internet.

I understand people that are hesitant. I am completely computer literate but often choose to unplug. I am not sure that technology has made our lives "better". It has made our lives more frenetic and has certainly separated families when kids spend their entire lives plugged in. You also never know, perhaps those guild members can't afford internet. In our neighborhood association we email most folks but also have about 20 families that don't use the internet so we deliver or mail the newsletters to them.
    Old 02-07-2011, 06:09 PM

Originally Posted by BellaBoo
    I not referring to those that don't have the means for computers or internet. These ladies at our guild that refuses to use email, drive Lexus, Caddys, and one has a car and driver (Driving Miss Daisy style.) They reject any reference to computer use. All members are encouraged to use the free library computers and the guild pays for the newsletter to be printed for them at the library. It saves not having to mail the newsletters.
    While I'm not "younger" I'm not one to let the world slide by me. I was intimidated by the idea of computers for awhile until my Dr. told me to "get one" when I first retired. Said it would keep my mind active. Just look at what all I'd miss without one?
    My feeling from my older friends who want nothing to do with computers is they feel they're too old or not smart enough to learn. They are really afraid of them. So I just respect how they feel.
    Old 02-07-2011, 06:28 PM

Originally Posted by BellaBoo
    We have a few guild members that don't have a computer and are proud to say they don't want one. Then they complain they are left out of guild's circle because everything is sent by email. I have no patience with them and it's not like they don't have the means to have computer/internet. They think it's silly or say their DH won't let them have one. :roll: Do you think people should be catered to if they reject something as basic as email?
    Yes, I do think people should be catered for even if they reject e-mail. A lot of older people I know feel intimidated by computers and some can't afford them.
    Old 02-07-2011, 06:30 PM

I have couple sisters and a brother who love computers and one sister who won't go near one. She is 55 years old and just won't learn. She can afford it easily but just won't even try. So it's snail mail and telephone.
    Old 02-07-2011, 06:34 PM

I don't think its fair, the cost can sometimes out way the need. I wouldn't want anyone to cater to me, but with that said, if i pay to belong to a guild and you can't call me because i don't have a computer, then there is something wrong with you, not me. Just because I choose not to have a computer and you find it an inconvience to call me or pass out a few extra papers, well what did we do before computers??? I couldn't treat people that way.