Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • Do you know people that have no idea about email/internet/? >
  • Do you know people that have no idea about email/internet/?

• Do you know people that have no idea about email/internet/?

Old 02-07-2011, 07:44 PM

My husband is one of those who won't use the computer. He did a type of work that didn't involve computers. One of his daily rituals is reading the newspaper. Now that so many are going out of business or going online he can't understand why newspapers don't contain much news anymore. I understand his point, when it comes to reading for the sake of reading I hate doing it on a computer. There's something nice about books and newspapers.
    Old 02-07-2011, 07:45 PM

I know many who are luddites - to each his own.
    Old 02-07-2011, 07:52 PM

My mother never used a compter and at 85 sayes she has no wish to get involved with it I and every one else sends her Cards for all ocassions. She displays them all over the house. She says they remind her of her friends and family every time she see's them. Someone friend or family call her every day I am thankful for that because I live out of the area. I know if some one does not have contact with her I will get a call.Without a computer or internet she must get up to ansewer the phone and out of the house to get her
    mail, I get really upset with people and bussiness that think something is wrong with her because she does not choose to stay in the house and set at the desk for hours. (like Me) She has had people complanine about sending her a hard copy of information in the mail. She likes to have the ability to read and reread sales information, club information ect. How many times has my comp. crashed and Ive lost info. She doesnt even want a cell phone Says she never goes so far from home that she cann"t wait to call as for having one in the car? Why she says cant us it and drive. If she has an emergency she will just flag down a passerby. Yep small town every one knows her and her poodle Lill Man.
    Old 02-07-2011, 08:03 PM

My opinion is that no one should be left out of things they love to do because they don't have a computer, internet, cell phone, or any other "high tech" equipment. I know people of all ages that either can't afford a computer/internet, are "afraid" of a computer/internet because they are harder to learn than something like a calculator, are afraid that their personal information will be stolen, and this one--they like the personal feel of a phone call or even snail mail. I have felt left out of things because I don't own a large embroidery machine or a longarm. I can't afford those things so I quilt everything from crib to king size quilts on my regular sewing machine. My embroidery machine is so small, it would probably make most of you laugh. I don't belong to a guild because I can't pay the $25 a year for a membership. I guess what I am trying to get across is that just because you are on one level, don't expect everyone to be on yours. Patience is a virtue.
    Old 02-07-2011, 08:14 PM

My dad worked in computers when they were just punch card programs so I have been lucky to alway have technology around. He is 78 now and has 3 computers, emails me stuff all the time and could not do his finances without one. Now my mom would not even know how to turn one on. I got her a Kindle for Christmas and it took me 2 weeks to teach her how to use it.
    Old 02-07-2011, 08:26 PM

Originally Posted by Ramona Byrd
    I'm the oldest by about 4 years, but a younger sister is flat out not interested in learning how to "do" a computer. She loves the printouts I give her. And another friend my own age is also not interested in learning, though her husband is a computer nut.

Everybody's different, I just learned to live with it.
    I know at least 3 of my high school classmates who don't use the computer...and I really wish there was a way we could get them interested..husbands in two cases had computers. It would make communicating with them so much easier, and faster...but at least one of them consideres it "a waste of time to sit there for so long." On the other hand, she's the one who's into every dance or music related class there is...a very social group type person. So...to each his/her own.
    As some one once said, we all waste time in our own way.
    Old 02-07-2011, 08:42 PM

Libraries have internet availabe.
    Old 02-07-2011, 08:58 PM

Originally Posted by craftymatt2
    I don't think its fair, the cost can sometimes out way the need. I wouldn't want anyone to cater to me, but with that said, if i pay to belong to a guild and you can't call me because i don't have a computer, then there is something wrong with you, not me. Just because I choose not to have a computer and you find it an inconvience to call me or pass out a few extra papers, well what did we do before computers??? I couldn't treat people that way.
    I totally agree with you
    Old 02-07-2011, 09:16 PM

Okay....I have get my 2 cents in again!!!!. My husband started in the computer business when computers were room size and had to be kept airconditioned. Computers have been his life since the day we got married. I just got my first computer five years ago, and then a new one this Christmas. It was a nice gift, but I would rather have had a gift cert. to a fabric shop. But I didn't tell him that. If anything ever happened to him, I would have to unplug my computer and throw it out, because I know almost nothing about them. I will never utilize all the stuff on this one, but it gets me through the shop hops and around this board.!!! LOL... Don't get me wrong, technology is great, but I think it is kind of harsh and a little judgemental to say you don't want to "Cater" to people who don't have one. Can't y'all just see the future ahead, when we won't even have to have any kind of human contact, we'll just send hugs and kisses through our PDA"s or IPS's or whatever!! Oh wait, we already do that!!! Hmmmmm, just saying!!
    Old 02-07-2011, 10:07 PM

If they do not want the Internet, but want the newsletter they should ask another member to print it out for them and then go for a cup of coffee or lunch. This would make it a win for everyone; a lunch date with a friend is worth more tHan a few pieces of paper.