Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • Do you know people that have no idea about email/internet/? >
  • Do you know people that have no idea about email/internet/?

• Do you know people that have no idea about email/internet/?

Old 02-07-2011, 10:53 PM

Originally Posted by Momsmurf
    Originally Posted by Ramona Byrd
    I'm the oldest by about 4 years, but a younger sister is flat out not interested in learning how to "do" a computer. She loves the printouts I give her. And another friend my own age is also not interested in learning, though her husband is a computer nut.

Everybody's different, I just learned to live with it.
    I know at least 3 of my high school classmates who don't use the computer...and I really wish there was a way we could get them interested..husbands in two cases had computers. It would make communicating with them so much easier, and faster...but at least one of them consideres it "a waste of time to sit there for so long." On the other hand, she's the one who's into every dance or music related class there is...a very social group type person. So...to each his/her own.
    As some one once said, we all waste time in our own way.
    I've often thought about how much time and fuel I've saved by using the computer!
    Old 02-07-2011, 11:08 PM

I am in a Red Hat group and the main requirement to join this group is to have a computer. No one wanted to be in charge of a telephone tree. Get up with the times or get left out. Their choise.
    Old 02-07-2011, 11:29 PM

I understand how frustrating it can be when people seem to be stubborn. But, I think it really isn't a big issue to mail something to a few people once a month. I'm sure that there is someone in your guild that would be willing to do this.
    Old 02-07-2011, 11:46 PM

i have a computer, my sister who is 5 years younger won't touch one. i don't have a cell phone, she wouldn't be without hers.

some people just don't see the need for 24 hour a day contact. they don't see the need to have the internet. they have never needed these things in the past and are getting by fine. this is an age old problem with every "new fangled" thing that has ever been invented. back when telephones were first available there were lots of people who wouldn't have anything to do with them. the same for cars, televisions, sewing machines. the generations after these items became usual around the household can't imagine what life was like when they did not exist. that's life.

we shouldn't discriminate against them for their feelings. all organizations need to accommodate them so that they can be included. many of these techno-phobes are the backbone of these organizations. try not to judge them, just enjoy their company and their knowledge.
    Old 02-08-2011, 04:14 AM

i agree with you.
    Old 02-08-2011, 06:10 AM
    Power Poster

i am sorry to say this but you sure paint a negative picture of your guild.

it seems to only cater to those who are young and computer suavy...you will miss alot of valuable help, inspiration and friendship by being so (discriminitory) toward people who have no desire to be on a computer.

if we decided to have such a (rule) at the guild i go to only about 3 of us would know anything going on...the other 20+ would be clueless...because the ladies have no desire to waste their money on a computer...they still hand write letters and send real thank you cards in the mail. there are THOUSANDS of people out there who do not own computers or cel-phones and get by just fine...with out feeling (unwelcome, or ignorant)

it is very sad that there would be guilds who are so discriminating...i always thought the purpose of the guild was to share...with all...not just the connected few-- i think if i made the mistake of joining that guild i would be connecting with the others being left out and starting a group for all. i've heard lots of different 'things' about guilds...yours takes the cake
    Old 02-08-2011, 06:32 AM
    Banned

I can see both sides. If they are older,they are probably intimidated.Technology is overwhelming. I can recall a few years back when I wanted nothing to do with a computer.Obviously that changed.But I still dont own a cell phone(mostly because of finances),and I am not really interested in Twittering,Texting,or whatever the heck else is out there.I think texting and cell phone use has gone way overboard.We cant even afford one,and every kid on the block that goes by on a bike or skatebord has one in their hand,even very little kids.I find it disturbing.I guess Im an old fuddy duddy,but at my age,I want to ration my time for things that are really enjoyable,like family and quilting.I dont feel the need to keep up with all the latest technology out there.To each his own,,,its just not my thing...just sayin..
    Old 02-08-2011, 06:52 AM

Originally Posted by Riversong
    I am not really interested in Twittering,Texting,or whatever the heck else is out there.I think texting and cell phone use has gone way overboard.We cant even afford one,and every kid on the block that goes by on a bike or skatebord has one in their hand,even very little kids.I find it disturbing..
    I think to a degree it is disturbing when one really thinks about it. Our whole way of communication is changing and IMO not for the better - nothing is personal anymore or has that personal touch.

I text only because I have 3 kids who text (they hardly even email) and if I didn't I seriously don't think I'd ever have comms with them. They do know however if they need a full conversation they'd best pick up the phone - I don't do full conversations in text. Too much gets left out and then it's only a matter of time before miscommunication happens and nothing good comes of that!

One of the Super Bowl commercials was about a car & Onstar that now has the ability to give you your Facebook status updates while you drive. Really??? :roll: :roll:
    Old 02-08-2011, 07:03 AM

Originally Posted by Momsmurf
    Originally Posted by Ramona Byrd
    I'm the oldest by about 4 years, but a younger sister is flat out not interested in learning how to "do" a computer. She loves the printouts I give her. And another friend my own age is also not interested in learning, though her husband is a computer nut.

Everybody's different, I just learned to live with it.
    I know at least 3 of my high school classmates who don't use the computer...and I really wish there was a way we could get them interested..husbands in two cases had computers. It would make communicating with them so much easier, and faster...but at least one of them consideres it "a waste of time to sit there for so long." On the other hand, she's the one who's into every dance or music related class there is...a very social group type person. So...to each his/her own.
    As some one once said, we all waste time in our own way.
    your friend is not really wasting her time, she is enjoying her life in a very active,one to one, person to person way.. In My Opinion Way better than spending your day more or less in a sedentary way sitting at a computer desk and exercising your fingers and brain only.. Brain is being excersized also by talking to and interacting with the people involved and the events she goes to. The computer is a wonderful thing to have and the internet is Wow!!! But in no way shape or form will it every take the place of actually talking and being with people.
    The words for this I think has already been stated and it is called Patients,compation and as you do pay your yrly. dues what is wrong with buying stamps??? Just heard on the news they are trying to close a lot of them. You know everyone has their oppinons on this and I think it has already been said... BillsBonBon
    Old 02-08-2011, 02:32 PM

My mother will never learn. She is very technologicalphobic. She will not even use a debit card at the store. Now that most stores do not take checks she just spends cash. She just barely got a cell phone (only because she moved and it was the only way she could go). But do not leave her a voice mail or text. No matter how many times we show her she just does not get it.