Do you play an instrument?

Old 08-01-2010, 03:47 AM

Piano, Organ, self taught on the accordian, and French Horn in high school!

I often wonder if I put that French Horn to my lips, would it all come back to me? I remember when the band was playing at the Anoka Pumpkin Bowl and it was snowing so bad and the mouthpiece was sticking to our lips, I ripped the skin off - we had to slide down this hill to get to the football field - on our be-hinds! I remember the only thing I learned on the accordian was a Polish polka - Julaida (pronounced Ju-ly-da) Polka. Piano - started when I was about six years old, ended up on the organ playing for Church (I remember when I had to play the organ for the Christmas Sunday School Program on Christmas Eve and I had been at the office Christmas party and got a little snockered - no, a lot snockered. Went to church, put on my gown, gingerly walked to the organ, set it all up and played "Jesu, Joy of Man's Desiring" with nary a mistake - left hand, right hand and both feet. Never before and never again. And now have the piano again, but don't play it very much. Needs tuning and I need fabric more than I need a piano tuned.

So now I play the sewing machine and it makes the most beautiful music. Edie
Old 08-01-2010, 05:12 AM

I used to play drums in my HS marching band thousands of years ago. Now I need help playing a radio!!
Old 08-01-2010, 06:03 AM

I played French Horn in HS, coronet in marching band, piddled around with clarinet, oboe and sax. I was pretty good in my day!! I wish I still had a horn to try :-D Now I have a piano, which I tried to learn as an adult. The grand daughter likes to pound on it, my daughter sits down to it once in a while, and I can still get out a few simple songs :lol: :lol: It does the trick to teach GD Christmas carols and other little childhood ditties. Really needs tuned!! I'm sure I don't sing off key, it must be the piano :lol: :lol: :lol:
Old 08-01-2010, 06:27 AM

I played the clarinet, bass clarinet in grade school and high school; then switched in high school to string bass. Just bought one 2 years ago after 30 years and am playing again. I own 3 guitars but have never mastered them. I also collect sewing machines, who here doesn't, but at least those I have mastered.....
Oh, yeah, I also sing alto in the church choir. Singing is also an instrument.
Old 08-01-2010, 06:53 AM

I have an electric keyboard that I play for my own pleasure. I learned to play the quitar back when, Until my daughter (a music teacher) took it to college with her and it has never made it's way back home.
Old 08-01-2010, 07:07 AM

Originally Posted by grandma Janice
I have an electric keyboard that I play for my own pleasure. I learned to play the quitar back when, Until my daughter (a music teacher) took it to college with her and it has never made it's way back home.
Yes, my sons begged me to let them play electric guitar when they were in high school but I refused, thinking that it was a passing fancy. When my oldest son came home from college for christmas break, I found that he had taken up guitar with a nasty old electric cast off from a friend and was playing about 3 hours a day! I immediately gave him my acoustic to take back to college and then bought him his own electric for christmas. That was 9 years ago and you should hear him play now! He still plays daily, it is his hobby and he owns several acoustic, electric and bass guitars as well as a small drum set. I eventually got my original guitar back!
Old 08-01-2010, 08:58 AM

I play piano and mountain dulcimer. Also sing in church choir. I used to sing 1st soprano, but I'm down to 2nd now. The voice definitely lowers as you get older! I guess if I live long enough I'll be a bass.
Old 08-01-2010, 09:06 AM

Piano, clarinet, flute, classical guitar.
Old 08-01-2010, 09:13 AM

Piano & autoharp,cant find time to practice for quilting ho ho
Old 08-01-2010, 09:14 AM

Originally Posted by grammyp
I can barely play the radio. I took guitar lessons many years ago, but the teacher quit.

roflmao! I am laughing because a teacher would have quit if I were her student.