Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • Do you take your dogs for walks? & If so how far? >
  • Do you take your dogs for walks? & If so how far?

• Do you take your dogs for walks? & If so how far?

Old 03-26-2010, 10:21 PM

We walk 2 Malamutes. One weighs 130 lbs & the other 105 lbs. They were trained to not pull because it is in their blood to pull. Being that strong you have to train them. We use a Prong collar. If you put it on up high toward their head, it does best. It will not hurt them at all because you do not have to jerk or yank on them. A very gentle tug & the word "easy" and they both slow way down & walk so nicely that the leash is not even tight. We walk a mile at least when we do walk. DH & I tire out but the dogs sure don't. LOL We don't walk everyday but try to 5 times a week. In the heat of Summer we walk shorter walks.
    Old 03-27-2010, 05:45 AM

Our dogs, two Yorkies are walked at least once a day but only about 1/2 mile. Any farther than that and we end up carrying them, but then again they are spoiled.
    Old 03-27-2010, 06:31 AM

I take mine, lab/aus. shep mix, 2X a day anywhere from 2-3 miles each depending on weather. She likes to think she is in charge, but if she gets carried away, I make her sit until she "calms" down. That being said I think one arm is a little longer than the other due to differences of opinion (hers/mine) about how fast to walk.
    Old 03-27-2010, 07:04 AM

We take our 2 Doods for runs a couple of times a week. We ride the ATV and they run on the old logging roads on our property. And they go on hikes with us when we wander into the hills.

Spring is a great time for that! The wildflowers are out in the forest-so pretty!

When we were in town and I only had one dog, I used a Gentle Leader. It didn't take her long to figure out how to walk nice on the leash. They come in different sizes-maybe there is one small enough for your dog.
    Old 03-27-2010, 08:39 AM

Don't have to walk them anymore. We have 20 acres they run on.
    Old 03-28-2010, 12:04 PM

Our dog walks between 3 and 4 hours a day, every day, spread over 4-5 walks. When I was working I got up at 5 am for his morning walk and his last walk is at 10 or 11pm.
    I don't really understand the title to be honest, because any dog trainer or vet I ever met agreed that dogs have to walk for at least 45 minutes a day unless they are very young, very old or ill. It doesn't matter whether they are small breeds or not, and hounds just need to be able to run aorund for 30 minutes at a time or so, but most dog problems can be solved by exercising them properly (ie. anxiety, destructive behaviour etc.).
    Our dog used to pull a lot in the beginning and we used a halti, which goes over his head and makes it harder for him to pull, but then got a harness for his chest and he eventually grew out of the pulling, unless he sees a rabbit or squirrel.
    :-)
    Dogs might also pull because they aren't out very often and it is all too exciting when they do go out, so walking more often might solve that. A lot of dog trainers also say that just letting them run in the garden doesn't provide enough mental stimulation. Our dog gets bored if we go the same route too often, so I try to take on him different walks as often as I can.
    Old 03-29-2010, 06:50 AM
    Power Poster

I have two toy poodles and they get plenty of exercise just walking or running around the house and their yard. They are 15 yr.s old, not walking hasn't hurt them.
    My large dog could use walks but, he has a problem with other dogs, we only let him out in his fenced yard. He is 12 yrs. old and don't seem not walking has hurt him either. He looks good and healthy, I don't stress out about it. BIL and SIL have always walked their lab.s twice a day and they don't look like their in the best of health, their 2nd set.
    A halter is the best to use for large dogs, mine has one. He use to jump on me and with the halter he stopped that.
    Old 03-29-2010, 07:01 AM
    k3n
    Power Poster

I was going to suggest the Halti, same as Stummel. This is a device that goes around the dog's head and nose and makes it impossible for him to pull so he'll break the habit. After a few weeks you can go back to a regular collar. I used this very successfully on a mad border collie I used to have! Worked a treat. Here's a link - it's to a UK site but I guess you can get them i the US http://www.companyofanimals.co.uk/pr...lti-headcollar

Another tip is that as soon as he starts pulling, turn on your heel and walk in the other direction. He'll soon get fed up with this and walk nicely to heel.

Edited to say - don't use one of those retractible leads on a dog that pulls - this just rewards the pulling behaviour! :-D
    Old 03-31-2010, 11:13 AM

Stumml & K3n I'm with you. I believe most behavior problems can be solved with a regular walking, as little as 20 mins will fix alot of things. My daughte has a rat terrier, corgie mix, he used to be a holy terror and a biter.. she moved to an apartment, and had to walk him several times aday, after a month of that,he's as sweet tempered as he looks now.
    Old 03-31-2010, 11:38 AM

All this dog walking info is great. I'm getting a puppy next month some time. It's a male, part lab and part rotwhiler. I know it will need to be walked and I'm looking forward to it. I need to walk too, and with the puppy, I will have more of a reason to walk. I used to walk my cat, he enjoyed a harness and loved to be walked!!!